Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a bigger wake behind my 98 sunsetter vlx

treybird3

I've got a 1998 Sunsetter VLX with a tower, and I'd like to get a bigger wake behind the boat for wakeboarding. Is there any way to do it without adding fat sacs? Thanks

you have to add weight. that's what the factory did. whether it's lead, sacs or people, you need weight. The wedge will make the wake a bit steeper and lippier, but not really "bigger" (imho and all that).

you have to add weight. that's what the factory did. whether it's lead, sacs or people, you need weight. The wedge will make the wake a bit steeper and lippier, but not really "bigger" (imho and all that).

:plus1: I have the wedge on my '97 VLX and this has been my exact experience with it. It steepens the wake. To be perfectly honest, I never use the wedge.

Really, the wedge is certainly the easiest way to do it. I found mine on the forums here. If you're patient, you'll find one. For a while, there was a guy on ebay selling wedges and backing plates too (if you want new components). Beyond that, putting sacs on either side of the engine is pretty non-intrusive on your boat. Good luck!

The wedge is a must. I have 2-750's in the rear with jabco pumps, a 400 in the front and we get a great wakeboard wake as well as an outstanding surf wake. Good luck. PM me if you have any questions.

CB

I wouldn't mind having fat sacs but I hav subs in the back on one side of the engine. I would like to get a wedge to try it just don't know where to look or what I need

The wedge was my first addition. While it made a big differance I guess it will depend on your riders skill level. I needed to add the sac's to get the wake I was looking for :rockon:

Good Luck

CB