Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extended Pylon Quest...

wake00

I'm tight on cash right now, between the boat and restoring my car so I can't afford a tower. :( I'll probably just get a used extended pylon. I'm curious about if anyone will still be able to sit in the open bow area? Also will I be able to swing my windshield open?

Yeah people will sill be able to sit in the bow, but the will have to sit on either side of the wire, the only place you can't sit is dead center in the bow looking backwards. I don't know about the window closing though....I think it would depend on what model of boat but someone with more knowledge can tell ya that one.

I have a Sportster LX and an extended pylon. Windshield opens no problem and it doesn't affect the seating much (There is no rear-facing seating in the bow of a Sporty). You can't have someone 6'6" sit in the center spot because of the cable but I don't like tall people sitting up front anyway. Usually only kids sitting up there.

Just a cable to the front. A strap goes around the bow and through the bow eye making a loop back to the cable. Doesn't need side straps, wakeboarding doesn't have the side loads that slalom does. I wouldn't slalom off the top of the pole though.

The windsheild issue will vary depending on the placement of the pylon, height and length to bow, but should work for most boats. Also, people will still be able to sit up there for sure.

I'm curious about if anyone will still be able to sit in the open bow area? Also will I be able to swing my windshield open?

The winshield will open on a 98 Sporty.

The open bow will have room to sit, but as others have mentioned, there is a strap wrapped around the bow.

If you have a bow eye you can ditch the bow harness

I was under the impression that was a bad idea. The bow eye is for straight up lifting. The pull of the pylon line is going to be at an angle and not straight upward. YMMV

Just to be clear on the terms:

Bow Eye - The SS "loop" that is on the hull about a foot below the rubrail.

Lifting Eye - (Not standard) Is basically an eye bolt that sticks up thru the top deck up in front of the open bow.

Martho is correct in saying that the lifting eye is not ideal for the pylon. Most likely result will be stress cracks around the base of the eye as it is not intended for side loads. Even if I had a lifting eye I would use a strap.

That's odd. Mine's not nearly as intrusive. Maybe I have a little shorter bow strap. This reminds of something I've been curious of....on a closed bow, is the windshield/dash pushed forward a little since you don't have the open bow seating up there? That would give a slightly larger open area inside the boat. Just curious. The distance from the base of the windshield to the tip of the bow just looks shorter on closed bows but it may be an optical illusion.

on the response, they are the same. look at the conversion that Jason and someone else did (can't remember the name) on MBO from responses to responses LX.

Just to be clear on the terms:

Bow Eye - The SS "loop" that is on the hull about a foot below the rubrail.

Lifting Eye - (Not standard) Is basically an eye bolt that sticks up thru the top deck up in front of the open bow.

Martho is correct in saying that the lifting eye is not ideal for the pylon.  Most likely result will be stress cracks around the base of the eye as it is not intended for side loads.  Even if I had a lifting eye I would use a strap.

I agree with your terminology clarification, even though on malibu's dealer pricing sheet they call it a bow eye.

We have used the "lifting eye" on every boat we have had. Even though it is designed to hold lifts straight up, it's anchored pretty rugged in there against the bow eye. I figure that if it can handle 2000# plus straight up, then it can handle a maximum of 300# diagonally backwards. Without using pythagorean's theorem of course. We have never seen stress cracks.

on the response, they are the same.  look at the conversion that Jason and someone else did (can't remember the name) on MBO from responses to responses LX.

I think for the Repsonse LXi, it would be safe to assume that the closed bow windshield is further forward...

JZ

....on a closed bow, is the windshield/dash pushed forward a little since you don't have the open bow seating up there?

I know on the older Response the bow was the same. In the factory they used the same mold the just left out some of the bracing, you can convert an closed bow to an open, I know Jason did his. I would believe that they are the same for the Sportster.

You shouldn't have a problem on a response lxi. My friend has a skylon one on there and it is fine. No blocking the windsheild and not in the way at all.