Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmisson fluid change on a 95 Echelon

Was informed today that I have some water in my transmission fluid (apparently this causes the prop to slowly spin while in neutral???). So I need to change my transmission fluid, but have no idea how or with what. any suggestions

Was informed today that I have some water in my transmission fluid (apparently this causes the prop to slowly spin while in neutral???). So I need to change my transmission fluid, but have no idea how or with what. any suggestions

Consult manual but probably dexron/mercon, check the products for the compatibility with what manual calls for. in slightly later years dexron III/mercon was standard. you remove by using a suction pump. do a search there are probably hundreds of threads on this.

You have a Borg Warner Velvet Drive tranny. In 95 the proper fluid is 10wt. tractor hydraulic fluid meeting the C-3 or C-4/TO-2 specifications (cheveron, citgo or mobil 423)

Edited by footnlongline

is the fluid red or brown? That will definitely confirm whether tranny fluid or oil. If you have borg like footn thinks, sounds like he knows about those years.

Fluid is redish, with white foam at the very top

You have tranny fluid in there which works just fine but is not specified. The capacity is 2 quarts but if your level is ok then only put in what you take out. Do you know how the water got in there?

You have tranny fluid in there which works just fine but is not specified. The capacity is 2 quarts but if your level is ok then only put in what you take out. Do you know how the water got in there?

no idea...didn't even know that the white foam indicated that I had water in my transmission or that this caused the prop to slightly spin in neutral

just so you know, even when you change fluid you could still have some driveshaft spin when in neutral...a little in normal. see if it goes away after bumping in reverse. Your boat is 16 years old, the clutches are just staying engaged a little. Not completely abnormal even with new fluid.

Where do you all usually go to look for desired fluids and specs for Malibus? I'm thinking that I would like to replace the fluids and possibly tune up my 91 Skier.

Where do you all usually go to look for desired fluids and specs for Malibus? I'm thinking that I would like to replace the fluids and possibly tune up my 91 Skier.

Your Skier probably has old tractor gear oil in it. Go get 4 qts of Mobil 1 ATF and change it twice. You will be good to go. :rockon:

EDIT, sorry not even close to answering your question. Look in Pete's signature I think he has a link to the manual for your boat. If not call a dealer or search around this site, you'll find all the info you need.

Edited by Levi900RR