Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V drive light

Being I am a dumb a$$. Even more confused after search

Light is one, however if you bumb it it shuts off

I have a 2001 sunscape lsv 23 and I am a new owner. Boat runs and sounds fine and I for thought until finding this forum if light was on it was engine oil pressure hinge the dumb a$$ comment. So that being said I want to check the v drive oil even though I think my switch is bad. So does it really take 40 weight motor oil? Seems like it should take tranny fluid of some type. Just want to make sure as I am new to this whole thing!

Thanks

Shane

Being I am a dumb a$$. Even more confused after search

Light is one, however if you bumb it it shuts off

I have a 2001 sunscape lsv 23 and I am a new owner. Boat runs and sounds fine and I for thought until finding this forum if light was on it was engine oil pressure hinge the dumb a$$ comment. So that being said I want to check the v drive oil even though I think my switch is bad. So does it really take 40 weight motor oil? Seems like it should take tranny fluid of some type. Just want to make sure as I am new to this whole thing!

Thanks

Shane

The light for the v-drive will be on when running at low RPM and should go off at 1200-1600 RPM. That is perfectly normal. The v- drive takes regular 30 weight motor oil. If the light stays on above 1600 RPM, you may have a bad pressure switch, a shorted harness or a mechanical issue in the v- drive that needs some attention.

The same thing happened to me this weekend. Same boat too.

At first I thought it was the V-Drive. Topped off that oil (30 weight is correct). Wasn't that. Looked a little harder and thought I'd check the transmission. Sure enough, that was low. Didn't have any on hand, but a quick trip to teh store fixed that. Mine was Dextron III, Mercon. After topping that off, no more issues with the light or alarm.