Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underperforming, slow out of hole top end

I have replaced cap and rotor and plugs and am seeing an improvement I will go after wires next and fuel filter. Is there two? Sounds like one I have to go through ski trunk not sure where the other one is. I am not getting anymore backfires, but I get a hesitation and my top end rpms are low about 4000 rpms. The weird part is if I shut it down for a second, and bring it to speed slower I can get maybe 4500 rpms. When I kick it up from 2000 rpms or so it almost sounds like it is knocking or pinging. I use Stabil and run 89 Octane. I wondering about trying an octane booster.

Thoughts on additional steps? I guess after wires and fuel filter I am on to timing. It doesn't seem like it would be a plugged injector because I can get pretty close to "normal" operation based upon how fast I come up to plane.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks as always

Any ideas? How about number and location of fuel filters? Sounds like there is one to be accessed through the back ski locker. Is that the only one?