Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Make sure your trailer and tow vehicle have good tires..

Indyxc

Well guys,

I know everyone is probably driving long or short distances with their boat this coming up holiday weekend. As reminder of how important it is to have good tires happened to one of my co-workers. It's one of those things you hear or see about on the internet, but rarely see in life.. He was driving "up north" here in Michigan for a 2 week vacation yesterday on I-75 with his suburban towing his 1980s bow cabin cruiser. Suddenly, the rear tire blew out on his suburban at 55 mph, and he tried to slow it down, but being on a bend, and with all that weight (11,000 lb trailer + boat), the trailer quickly jack-knifed ejecting, the boat off the trailer, and driving him backwards off the interstate. LUCKILY, he was ok, but the pictures tell the tale.

Bottom line: Make sure your tires are OK for this weekend.

post-15086-072249900 1309530093_thumb.jp

post-15086-008940500 1309530101_thumb.jp

Edited by Indyxc

He needs to put a new truck on the suburban tires, and then replace the tires. That boat is too much load for that old suburban, IMO.

:plus1:

Valid point, however let's not battle that front. The OP's message is a good one, let's use common senes and take few mintes to do a once over your rigs before hitting the road this holiday weekend. Your family and freinds safety is worth the time.

Have a great weekend everyone.

and

GOD BLESS THE USA! :usa:

He needs to put a new truck on the suburban tires, and then replace the tires. That boat is too much load for that old suburban, IMO.

Valid or not, he's been doing towing that boat, with that truck up the same road since 1989, so obviously it's good enough. It's a 3/4 ton, with a 454, so it probably has the weight, and power, just not the brakes, but the trailer had electric brakes. The issue as he admitted, was the tires probably should of been replaced as they had been a couple years ago.

Take the time, check your rig, driver slower, and have a good time. He had to cancel his vacation plans, and is back at work.

Edited by Indyxc

I agree with the OP's message, but this accident could have been avoided. The boat had no tie downs on the rear of the boat, hence the ejection during the crash. The 'burb looks way overloaded from how much squat the first pic shows. A tag hitch like that is usually rated at a max of 10k lbs (1k tongue weight) and it seems like that recommendation wasn't followed either. Tires could have been overloaded, dry cracked and under-inflated, many variables right there. Tires are the first overlooked items on trailers and tow rigs all the time and that's why accidents like this happen. I religiously check pressures and rubber condition EVERY single tow because you could have picked up a nail or something and this accident could happen to you. It may sound like that's a bit of an obsession, I'll admit it is.

jkendallmsce

Also hard to tell - but no tie-downs on the back of the boat??

ALWAYS tie the boat down. Just as in this case, the boat would have stayed on the trailer.

I have seen boat lift 6 inches off the trailer as they are zipping down the road. I 5 here in N CA has pot holes the size of VWs!!!

I agree with the OP's message, but this accident could have been avoided. The boat had no tie downs on the rear of the boat, hence the ejection during the crash. The 'burb looks way overloaded from how much squat the first pic shows. A tag hitch like that is usually rated at a max of 10k lbs (1k tongue weight) and it seems like that recommendation wasn't followed either. Tires could have been overloaded, dry cracked and under-inflated, many variables right there. Tires are the first overlooked items on trailers and tow rigs all the time and that's why accidents like this happen. I religiously check pressures and rubber condition EVERY single tow because you could have picked up a nail or something and this accident could happen to you. It may sound like that's a bit of an obsession, I'll admit it is.

Lack of tie downs on the boat didn't cause this accident. A tire failure did, which would have happened regardless of whether boat was tied down, as would the jackknife.

I agree with the advice of the OP.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

That boat is too big. I blame the OP for allowing his bud to have a boat that big. If you can't avoid having an accident after neglecting your tires and having a high speed blowout, then your boat is just too freakin' big and you should be prepared to suffer the consequences. So there!

ALWAYS tie the boat down. Just as in this case, the boat would have stayed on the trailer.

I have seen boat lift 6 inches off the trailer as they are zipping down the road. I 5 here in N CA has pot holes the size of VWs!!!

Ever been to Beruit....I mean Detroit?

jkendallmsce

Ever been to Beruit....I mean Detroit?

CA is on their way to becoming a third world country......Detroit has been there for quite awhile....good place to pick up really cheap real estate though!! ha ha

ANd your probaly safer in Beruit than Detroit.

CA is on their way to becoming a third world country......Detroit has been there for quite awhile....good place to pick up really cheap real estate though!! ha ha

ANd your probaly safer in Beruit than Detroit.

Thank God for suburbs and the right to carry!

So would the proper tie downs prevented the boat from coming off of the trailer?

It looks like he tried to use his dock line from the rear cleat on the boat to the trailer frame?

OK... I will play. I believe in trailer tie downs for sure, but for the sake of Devil's advocacy....this might be one of the rare circumstances where you were better off having the boat leave the trailer. What would have happened if the boat stays on the trailer as the trailer jacknifes into the suburban at 55 MPH? 11K pounds of boat probably wins the war with the suburban. Could have been much worse if the boat stayed on the trailer.

I have trailer tires that look brand new, but were manufactured in 2007. Some people argue to replace 4-5 year old tires just based on age, rather than wear...any opinions on that? Or more importantly, any factual information on that?

Edited by TallRedRider

OK... I will play. I believe in trailer tie downs for sure, but for the sake of Devil's advocacy....this might be one of the rare circumstances where you were better off having the boat leave the trailer. What would have happened if the boat stays on the trailer as the trailer jacknifes into the suburban at 55 MPH? 11K pounds of boat probably wins the war with the suburban. Could have been much worse if the boat stayed on the trailer.

I have trailer tires that look brand new, but were manufactured in 2007. Some people argue to replace 4-5 year old tires just based on age, rather than wear...any opinions on that? Or more importantly, any factual information on that?

Exactly, tie downs help, but in this instance it wouldn't of made a difference. What is not shown, is that the welded steel bunks were torn off the left side of the trailer, as well as the bow stop, and the axles on the left side were torn off from the frame as well.

This guy isn't a friend, heck, I didn't even know he owned a boat until I heard his story. The intent of it was simple, check your stuff. Quite entertaining all the hindsighters saying this or that should of been done. As mentioned he's lucky the other tire didn't blow on the rear. It would of jack knifed the opposite way, and the boat would of gone through the suburban. Either way, I agree the load was probably too large for that vehicle.

Stay safe on the 4th!:thumbup:

Edited by Indyxc

Lack of tie downs on the boat didn't cause this accident. A tire failure did, which would have happened regardless of whether boat was tied down, as would the jackknife.

I agree with the advice of the OP.

I never said the lack of tie down CAUSED the accident. I said the lack of tie downs caused the ejection. The tire failure caused the accident, which I said could have been avoided. The truck was overloaded and that's why there was a horrible result. :unsure:

Just my .02

I know someone who's boat got ejected off their trailer at freeway speeds.

Tie downs on the transom would not have prevented this SS Mino sized boat from leaving the trailer.

The guy that had his boat leave the trailer and go sailing across the freeway in TX said that the metal "S" hooks just became straight when they let go of the transom eyes.