Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changed impeller and now won't start!!

christopher.Smiley

Hey Crew!

I had a problem with low speed and idle overheating so I replaced the impeller this morning. Once i replaced the impeller, the boat no longer wants to start. It was cranking over and actually starting before changing the impeller but now it clicks, like a solenoid is out or something. Interestingly enough, when I first attempted to restart the boat, it tried to turn over and then I small amount of smoke came from the battery compartment, possibly from the circuit fuse bus. I am kind of at a loss where to start looking at it. I was so mad that I had no perspective to do any trouble shooting so I just left it alone. Anyone have any ideas of where I can start looking? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

Sorry for your problems, I would start with the battery connections and the connection to the starter and move to the battery itself. If those look good they I might look at the starter. The impeller would have nothing to do with the other problem you are having. I am sure others will chime in on other fixes but that is where I would start.

Good Luck

CB

The impeller is just a coincidence.

Clicking means the starter isn't getting enough juice, either your battery needs to be charged or replaced. Also make sure the connections are clean and tight at the battery and the engine.

-Chris

Mine is doing the exact same thing :cry: Going to drop it at the dealer tomorrow to get diagnosed.. I will post what they had to do to fix the problem..

Mine is doing the exact same thing :cry: Going to drop it at the dealer tomorrow to get diagnosed.. I will post what they had to do to fix the problem..

Thanks for the info! The battery(s) are brand new and the connections are all clean. The small poof of smoke that came from the battery area was a concern for sure. I am going to try that all again though when i have alittle more patience and see what i can figure out. If anyone has any other insight, please let me know!! THanks again guys!

...... small amount of smoke came from the battery compartment, possibly from the circuit fuse bus..

Hey Chris,

This didn't make a lot of sense to me. Is the battery located under/in front of the spotter's seat? And the circuit fuse bus is by the driver's right hip? Or maybe the circuit breaker.... which is on the engine.

Regardless, I'd check all these. Make sure your circuit breakers are all pushed in. Check to make sure your battery connections are tight (the fact that the battery is new is a good reason to do this). And check that the big positive lead is tight & clean on the starter solenoid.

When you do the impeller on an XTI, do you have some interior panels to remove? Any chance any wires were pulled/strained when you did this?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Hey Chris,

This didn't make a lot of sense to me. Is the battery located under/in front of the spotter's seat? And the circuit fuse bus is by the driver's right hip? Or maybe the circuit breaker.... which is on the engine.

Regardless, I'd check all these. Make sure your circuit breakers are all pushed in. Check to make sure your battery connections are tight (the fact that the battery is new is a good reason to do this). And check that the big positive lead is tight & clean on the starter solenoid.

When you do the impeller on an XTI, do you have some interior panels to remove? Any chance any wires were pulled/strained when you did this?

Sorry for the hap-hazard message. The Battery is in the compartment under/ behind the spotter seat, opposite the driver's seat. The bus is a 60 amp bus that is on the wall of that compartment where the battery is, about 1 foot way from the battery. I did try bypassing the bus to see if it had blown but that did not change anything. I did not check any of the breakers by the driver yet. I also have not checked any of the other connections from the battery to the starter. Removing the cover for the engine was actually just the front panel to get to the impeller. No wires are even close. I appreciate yalls ideas and will keep playing with it later in the week!