Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim raft anchor

Badger

My kids use the neighbor's swim raft more than they do. Tonight it started to float away and turns out the chain to the anchor broke, after about 10 years of use. The neighbor who installed the anchor wasn't around, but the other neighbor thinks they just filled a 5 gallon pail with cement and dropped some chain into it.

Is this enough to hold it in place? It is in a "no wake" zone, but we still get waves. Probably more force on it from my fat rear going down the slide. Of course, I did a search online and they recommend shock line and anchors in 4 corners, or sink a car and tie to that, or swim to the bottom and screw an anchor 8 feet into the bottom, etc...

My kids use the neighbor's swim raft more than they do. Tonight it started to float away and turns out the chain to the anchor broke, after about 10 years of use. The neighbor who installed the anchor wasn't around, but the other neighbor thinks they just filled a 5 gallon pail with cement and dropped some chain into it.

Is this enough to hold it in place? It is in a "no wake" zone, but we still get waves. Probably more force on it from my fat rear going down the slide. Of course, I did a search online and they recommend shock line and anchors in 4 corners, or sink a car and tie to that, or swim to the bottom and screw an anchor 8 feet into the bottom, etc...

How big is the raft? Ours has two cinder blocks with the chain wrapped through the holes and connected back to itself. The raft doesn't move but the bottom is mucky so it helps anchor the cinder blocks

I was swimming at our beach the other morning and I could see at LEAST 4 mushroom anchors that people lost for their Moorings... I was thinking about poaching one and hooking a swim raft to that.

FWIW- our raft is 8x8 and is anchored with two 5 gallon buckets filled with cement,I used some store bought clamps that are u shaped and have a flat plate that slides over the open end and are secured with nuts- I believe they were 3/8 inch-put those in the cement while wet leaving about 3 inches sticking up and ran the chain through that.At the attachment point on the bottom of the raft I have a spring to absorb some of the shock-you can find them at any boating store,typically used for mooring boats. At any rate its been there for 5 years and hasn't budged and we get alot of wave action there. Hope this helps.

A shock line is important to handle the waves. If not, depending on length of line, with wave action the raft can actually lift the anchor and then move laterally until depth increases and anchor line is no longer long enough to hold it. Generally with shock cord you want anchor line to extend 1 to 2 feet above surface of water.

You can get anchor kit from rave sports that includes nice shock cord if you cant find elsewhere.

MalibuNation

FWIW- our raft is 8x8 and is anchored with two 5 gallon buckets filled with cement,I used some store bought clamps that are u shaped and have a flat plate that slides over the open end and are secured with nuts- I believe they were 3/8 inch-put those in the cement while wet leaving about 3 inches sticking up and ran the chain through that.At the attachment point on the bottom of the raft I have a spring to absorb some of the shock-you can find them at any boating store,typically used for mooring boats. At any rate its been there for 5 years and hasn't budged and we get alot of wave action there. Hope this helps.

This is the way I would go or pour concrete is some sort of of box with a stainless steel eye hook with a shock cord ... also mentioned.

This is the way I would go or pour concrete is some sort of of box with a stainless steel eye hook with a shock cord ... also mentioned.

If you want a permanent solution, do the pipe solution, but it is easier then you think.

Take a ten foot section of pipe, and drill a hole towards the top. Bolt a chain through the hole. On the other end, attach an auger. Now take another 10' pole section and connect the two sections. On top of the second section, put T and pipe. Put the pipe on the ground and start spinning the pipe until the first section buried. Disconnect the second section and attach the chain to the raft. In the winter attach a life jacket to the chain.

There are a few more tricks if you need to make it simpler. This is how our ski club makes jump anchors.

If you want a permanent solution, do the pipe solution, but it is easier then you think.

Take a ten foot section of pipe, and drill a hole towards the top. Bolt a chain through the hole. On the other end, attach an auger. Now take another 10' pole section and connect the two sections. On top of the second section, put T and pipe. Put the pipe on the ground and start spinning the pipe until the first section buried. Disconnect the second section and attach the chain to the raft. In the winter attach a life jacket to the chain.

There are a few more tricks if you need to make it simpler. This is how our ski club makes jump anchors.

When you say attach a life jacket to it in the winter, does the ice cause any problems? I'm thinking of doing this for our pontoon to keep it away from the dock.

We've made them out of an old tire, a piece of rebar & cement. Lay the tire on the ground, fill it full of cement & let it dry. Bend the rebar into a loop & stick it in the drying cement.

BTW, a lot of stainless is pretty soft.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We went with a 2 bucket system filled with cement, a piece of rebar, and a chain running between the two. The we linked another chain on and ran it up to the swim raft. Afterwards we found out this is what the original anchor was as well. So hopefully we've got another ten years with this as well.