Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does stock setup work to Wakesurf?

Tbrehm12

I'm a new 23 lsv owner and I was wondering if you can wakesurf without buying a fat sac if you ride with a lot of passengers.. If so what settings would you suggest??

I'm a new 23 lsv owner and I was wondering if you can wakesurf without buying a fat sac if you ride with a lot of passengers.. If so what settings would you suggest??

Get as much weight in the rear / surf side as you can and give it a shot.

Agreed. Fill the surf side rear ballast tank full, leave the opposite side empty. Put all the people as far back in that corner as you can. You will probably want the wedge at max, and will probably want the speed relatively slow (around 10). If the wave is too close to the boat, fill the front tank half full (water will sit on the surf side), and bump the speed up a little. You should be able to get something you can go ropeless with. If you want to see what ballast will do, you can get a couple of the big plastic storage containers from Home Depot, and fill them with a bucket in the rear compartment. If you really want to spend time surfing, you are going to need to get at least one 750lb sack minimum. Every boat is different, so change the speed and wedge with no one out riding and see what looks best for your boat. Good luck.

First off... Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the crew!

Second.. It can be done with stock ballast (both sides)

I am a rather new 23 lsv owner as well and have surfed both sides behind my stock boat with less than five people in my boat. Ideally you would have the surf side rear, mid and front filled and wedge at a click from 3/4. My bow pump is not working so, I am using rear and mid ballast. Speed set at roughly 10 mph. People sitting on the surf side.

When I have 5 people in the boat, the wake is not huge by any means but it does work. The weight is not the most important part, it is the speed. Play around with speed and don't let go of the rope too soon. Just practice getting into the sweet spot and keeping it. Once you have been in the sweet spot and feel comfortable, throw the rope.

Also, post some pics of your ride!

Good luck!

very surfable stock, we bumped the preset speed to 10.8-11.2 and filled the front tank as well. Just added our old 400lb sacs to the rear to bring the wave up a bit.

I will add my take on this. The stock wake sucks compared to a weighted wave, you need extra weight to get a decent surf wave. While people might think its good stock without the weight the wave lacks push and power so you're surfing on the swim platform. Speed is a good tool to clean up and fine tune the wave, its not going to fix what isn't there. For any of you don't think so, sac your boat out with at least 1500 lbs and try it. You won't go back.

Edited by 06vlx

Ok cool I have about 10-15 people total going to Lake Cumberland this weekend as a group. I have been wakeboarding but wakesurfing is new to me and I didn't realize that you needed extra weight in the boat to surf. Does the 750 lb fit in a rear locker? It seems if it did it would be really tight...

Ok cool I have about 10-15 people total going to Lake Cumberland this weekend as a group. I have been wakeboarding but wakesurfing is new to me and I didn't realize that you needed extra weight in the boat to surf. Does the 750 lb fit in a rear locker? It seems if it did it would be really tight...

750 fits just fine, actually pretty short in the rear lockers. Dude with 10-15 people you don't need any more weight over stock. I ran 9 people once + 3800 lbs ballast + wedge. It was nasty...

750 fits just fine, actually pretty short in the rear lockers. Dude with 10-15 people you don't need any more weight over stock. I ran 9 people once + 3800 lbs ballast + wedge. It was nasty...

So you wouldn't get a fat sack with that many people?? Because if I need to get one I need to order it ASAP.

So you wouldn't get a fat sack with that many people?? Because if I need to get one I need to order it ASAP.

Yes I would but I'd get the fly high 1100 instead of the 750, then just fill it as much as you need.

I will add my take on this. The stock wake sucks compared to a weighted wave, you need extra weight to get a decent surf wave. While people might think its good stock without the weight the wave lacks push and power so you're surfing on the swim platform. Speed is a good tool to clean up and fine tune the wave, its not going to fix what isn't there. For any of you don't think so, sac your boat out with at least 1500 lbs and try it. You won't go back.

Is the stock wave great? No

Does the stock wave suck? No

The mans question was if the stock wake is surfable, which it is. The wave has plenty of push stock, up to about 7 foot back. From 7 and beyond you have to work to stay in it. Everyone knows weight is always better. If you are just getting into surfing there is no reason to rush out and buy a pair of 750's to slam in the back. Use people ballast and figure out if surfing is for you. If you like it, then look into upping the ballast. :)

The reason I say this, we came from a 21ft Mastercraft 210 that we used to surf off of all the time. We used a 400lb fat sac in the surf corner, a 300lb sac in the ski locker, and a 150lb sac in the front, and people ballast. We could surf on that wave for days. Right off the factory line, our 23LSV is just as good, if not better than that wave. Just a bit less push than the Mastercraft. We just started using our 400's in the rears of the LSV and will prob upgrade to 750's or a custom sac the runs up the bench after this season.

Edited by Jab31169

I can tell you with absolute certainty that it does suck compared to a weighted wave, kinda like I said in my post. Sounds like you already know that though reading your post.. But like I told the OP he has enough people weight that he doesn't need all the extra weight to try it out.

Edited by 06vlx

06 is right, as usual. If you are a skilled surfer and you have at least 6 people in the boat, you may think the stock wake is ok. However, I pity a new surfer trying to learn with stock ballast and very few VAB in the boat. You don't know if the difficulty is you or the wake and while the 23 is a great boat, the experience does suck.

With tons of people in the boat and some experimenting, you can get a great wake to learn on. Once you start to really learn, you can surf the stock wake all day, but it definitely isn't as much fun. I can do fine with my Broadcast, but I'd hate to even try surfing the stock wake on my LF custom.

In boating terms, a single 750 or even 1100 (and a pump) is pretty cheap. It's a very small investment to be able to experience real surfing as that one sack makes a huge difference. Even if I was expecting a boat full of people, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a sack for the rear locker.

It sounds like you have a short time window, but in large cities they are pretty frequently on craigslist as people upgrade. Or see if any of your buddies have one you can borrow; even two 400 bags would be fine.

06 is right, as usual. If you are a skilled surfer and you have at least 6 people in the boat, you may think the stock wake is ok. However, I pity a new surfer trying to learn with stock ballast and very few VAB in the boat. You don't know if the difficulty is you or the wake and while the 23 is a great boat, the experience does suck.

With tons of people in the boat and some experimenting, you can get a great wake to learn on. Once you start to really learn, you can surf the stock wake all day, but it definitely isn't as much fun. I can do fine with my Broadcast, but I'd hate to even try surfing the stock wake on my LF custom.

In boating terms, a single 750 or even 1100 (and a pump) is pretty cheap. It's a very small investment to be able to experience real surfing as that one sack makes a huge difference. Even if I was expecting a boat full of people, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a sack for the rear locker.

It sounds like you have a short time window, but in large cities they are pretty frequently on craigslist as people upgrade. Or see if any of your buddies have one you can borrow; even two 400 bags would be fine.

Today I purchased rubbermaid containers to put water in which give a little over 300lbs extra in a rear locker. Not many places have fat sacks in my area nor do any of my friends. Unless I find a marina that sells fat sacks I won't be able to get one for this go around.

I just got back from a trip last weekend in my buddies 2004 23LSV. This was my second attempt at surfing, the first was behind my Echelon. With stock ballast we had the surf side filled, the opposite side empty, and the bow ballast full. Manual wedge down. 1 rider, 2 men in the boat (400 lbs) and 4 boys (360 lbs), all sitting on the surf side. I am 170lbs, and used a Hyperlite Broadcast 5.6, and I went ropeless pretty much forever. One of the boys went ropeless pretty much forever too (90lbs on a Broadcast 4.9), on his first day out ever.

I had 2 (750) surf sacks and a pump from my Echelon ready to put in the boat, but we never bothered because the wave was great.

So is it surfable? Heck yes, even for a newbie. 300lbs in the lockers will make it that much easier. But the board will make a big difference too, what board do you have?

Edited by Michigan boarder

Today I purchased rubbermaid containers to put water in which give a little over 300lbs extra in a rear locker. Not many places have fat sacks in my area nor do any of my friends. Unless I find a marina that sells fat sacks I won't be able to get one for this go around.

order one online and have them overnight it... :unsure:

I just got back from a trip last weekend in my buddies 2004 23LSV. This was my second attempt at surfing, the first was behind my Echelon. With stock ballast we had the surf side filled, the opposite side empty, and the bow ballast full. Manual wedge down. 1 rider, 2 men in the boat (400 lbs) and 4 boys (360 lbs), all sitting on the surf side. I am 170lbs, and used a Hyperlite Broadcast 5.6, and I went ropeless pretty much forever. One of the boys went ropeless pretty much forever too (90lbs on a Broadcast 4.9), on his first day out ever.

I had 2 (750) surf sacks and a pump from my Echelon ready to put in the boat, but we never bothered because the wave was great.

So is it surfable? Heck yes, even for a newbie. 300lbs in the lockers will make it that much easier. But the board will make a big difference too, what board do you have?

I have a Liquid Force Fish Wakesurfer. It's the middle sized one that is lime green.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=34350&pdesc=Liquid_Force_Fish_Wakesurfer

Edited by Tbrehm12

Wakesurfed with 9 ppl today and we threw a loaded cooler and a bunch of cases of pop in the rear locker. I was able to surf very well :)