Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Checking VIN

RobD

I saw a boat and have contacted the owners through email. It just seems to good to be true and do not want to get ripped off. I have the VIN and it checked out to be the same boat but want to make sure everything else is okay. How do you check to see if the boat has been stolen or there is a lien out on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how to do it by VIN. Maybe you could call the licensing office in the state where the title is.

Or, if the seller claims he has title in hand, ask for a photo of it. It should show if liens have been released.

I've called the TX Parks and Wildlife here to check on a VIN. I'm not sure where you're from and which party controls boat registration/titling, but try and figure that out and give them a call.

Ask for a photo copy of the titles maybe - and if you would like, email me the Hull ID and I can look up the any history with Malibu.

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

You could try checking with your local police depatment. No garentee, but you might get a dispatcher that would run it for you and it would show info on both a lein and if it was stolen.