Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alternator or Battery

Hey Guys. I wound up dead on the water on Saturday after about 2 hours of wakeboarding and cruising around. I was running a stereo for most of the trip and after a tow and a re-charge of the battery, it started and I was able to drive home. My question is whether I might have a battery issue or a bad alternator? What's the best way to check, and if it's the alternator, is this something that can be installed easily or requires professional instillation? Many thanks!

How many batteries and what type , how old is it/them, and what do you have for stereo equipment. This info is needed to better troubleshoot.

Does your boat show the voltage in the system while underway? If the output is above 14 then it's your battery. If its under 14 then your alternator is not providing any juice. While the boat is at rest (not running) then your battery should have a voltage of a little above 12 but could still be a bad battery.

If you have a dual battery system, make sure one battery is for starting (starting battery) and one is for the stereo (deep cycle battery). My starting battery had a dead cell this spring, but I was able to get the boat started with the deep cycle (luckily!).

I had the starting battery tested at autozone.

Thanks for the input guys. I've only got one battery and it's a plain old starting marine battery. I just bought the boat a few weeks ago and contacted the seller and he said he didn't replace the battery and to his knowledge neither did the previous owner. So we're talking probably 4 years old??? I volt tested the battery and it shows 12.20 amps just sitting but the boats on the trailer so I can't test it running. As far as stereo equipment, I've got a Lanzar 2150 amp and it's pushing 2 12" 400 watt Pioneer subs and then 4 6x9's and two additional single barrels on the tower. I looked at the alternator and it looks like it has some corrosion on the exterior but not sure if that's any indication of anything. This is our 1st boat so I'm not sure of all the specific things to look for. Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input guys. I've only got one battery and it's a plain old starting marine battery. I just bought the boat a few weeks ago and contacted the seller and he said he didn't replace the battery and to his knowledge neither did the previous owner. So we're talking probably 4 years old??? I volt tested the battery and it shows 12.20 amps just sitting but the boats on the trailer so I can't test it running. As far as stereo equipment, I've got a Lanzar 2150 amp and it's pushing 2 12" 400 watt Pioneer subs and then 4 6x9's and two additional single barrels on the tower. I looked at the alternator and it looks like it has some corrosion on the exterior but not sure if that's any indication of anything. This is our 1st boat so I'm not sure of all the specific things to look for. Thanks for the input!

how many times did you turn the boat off during those 2 hours? none?

From memory I'd say I turned it off 5 or 6 times. After we got done we floated around for a half hour then when we went to leave...we were dead.

Your battery is the wrong type for your setup first of all, second 12.2 is very low and about 50% depleted so basically. That kind of duty on a starting battery will kill it in no time. Sounds like battery issues to me. You should have a marine deep cycle battery, they will also start the boat. I'd also recommend at least one additional battery for your house bank, and use a starting battery as your starting or emergency reserve starting battery. You'll need a battery selector switch to add batteries.

I agree with 06 if you're inclined to do that (add battery) but it sounds as if your battery is simply old and deep cycle would allow more play time and retain enough to start.

Definitely make sure you have a battery isolator when you add that second battery to your system. I've attached a link to the model that I have, but I'd confirm with someone on the website's technical side that you have the proper amp range as they do offer multiple variations of these isolators. They enable your boat's alterntor to charge your main battery and the battery for your stereo at the same time when the boat is running. You can run your stereo battery dead and the boat will still start no problem.

http://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_952_Battery_Isolator_p/sp-952.htm

Most likely your battery. Remove it and have a auto parts store test it for free. 12.2 VOLTS is essentially dead.

When you were floating, the stereo was playing?

Edited by WakesetterE

The switch for my radio was on, but the playlist ended from the ipod therefore we weren't actually listening to anything. I'll get the battery tested and as far as a deep cycle goes, any recommendations? Surely they're not all created equal.