Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Mastercraft Prostar 209 or 2005 Moomba Outback or 2003 Mastercraft Prostar 197

Orlando wake

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy?

• 2001 Mastercraft Prostar 209
    • 2005 Moomba Outback
    • 2003 Mastercraft Prostar 197

I asked this on the Mastercraft forums but figured i should ask here since this is kinda neutral territory. I have the option to purchase a 2001 Mastercraft Prostar 209 ($20,500) or 2005 Moomba Outback ($21,000) or 2003 Mastercraft Prostar 197 ($21,500). They all have very similar features and are in similar like new condition. The first two have wakeboard towers, nice stereos, perfect interiors. The 197 has a wakeboard tower, no stereo, a few small tears in interior but otherwise nice. The Moomba has a ballast, the Mastercrafts do not. The Moomba has the 310 engine, the 209 has the 351, and the 197 has the 310 Predator. The Moomba and 197 have 350 hours, the 209 has 160 hours. The 197 speedo is broken the others are fine. The trailers are nice from manufacturer except the 197. The 197 has a rusty ramlin trailer. I will be storing the boat on my lift, I live on a lake.

And, I looked for Malibus but the best I could fine was a 2000 Malibu Escape LSV that had been taken care of poorly. Interior looked really faded and IMO should be replaced, and seller didn't know much about boats. He kept it in a boat house but in the water and without a cover. It had protection above with a wooden roof but that was about it. Stereo was broken, it didn't sound great turned on. Had 450 hours.

I am looking for an all-around boat. My family does a little skiing and a little wake boarding. We are no experts. I'd say beginner to intermediate. And, we might want to take the boat up the St. John's River every once in awhile. Which would you pick and why?

Edited by Orlando wake

I asked this on the Mastercraft forums but figured i should ask here since this is kinda neutral territory. I have the option to purchase a 2001 Mastercraft Prostar 209 ($20,500) or 2005 Moomba Outback ($21,000) or 2003 Mastercraft Prostar 197 ($21,500). They all have very similar features and are in similar like new condition. The first two have wakeboard towers, nice stereos, perfect interiors. The 197 has a wakeboard tower, no stereo, a few small tears in interior but otherwise nice. The Moomba has a ballast, the Mastercrafts do not. The Moomba has the 310 engine, the 209 has the 351, and the 197 has the 310 Predator. The Moomba and 197 have 350 hours, the 209 has 160 hours. The 197 speedo is broken the others are fine. The trailers are nice from manufacturer except the 197. The 197 has a rusty ramlin trailer. I will be storing the boat on my lift, I live on a lake.

And, I looked for Malibus but the best I could fine was a 2000 Malibu Escape LSV that had been taken care of poorly. Interior looked really faded and IMO should be replaced, and seller didn't know much about boats. He kept it in a boat house but in the water and without a cover. It had protection above with a wooden roof but that was about it. Stereo was broken, it didn't sound great turned on. Had 450 hours.

I am looking for an all-around boat. My family does a little skiing and a little wake boarding. We are no experts. I'd say beginner to intermediate. And, we might want to take the boat up the St. John's River every once in awhile. Which would you pick and why?

Test drove a moomba when I bought my Bu' It had a lot of power, and drove nice but no wake at all. (good if you are on a course) lots of spray and very low freeboard. The back seat was very uncomfortable as the back only went up about 6" Very low boat. The tower was for short people, even without speakers I hit my head on it more than once on the test drive. Lots of power for the size and weight of the boat.

I don't have any experience with the MC's so all I will say is they are of better initial quality, but maintenance and care make a huge differance ina boat.

So my recomendation would be, for the amount of money you are talking about, to find a nice responce and get into a Bu'

This is the best Malibu I could find in my price range but they want a wire transfer and won't accept a Cashier's check from my bank. My bank won't wire transfer. Also, the fact that the boat colors look different in each pic scares me. My wife doesn't like the look of it though. Thinks the style looks older than the other boats I've been looking at. I was thinking of adding a wrap- maybe- and defininetly a tower like the Illusion X but she doesn't want the hassle of adding all that.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Malibu-Escape-23-Lsv-98823137

This is the best Malibu I could find in my price range but they want a wire transfer and won't accept a Cashier's check from my bank. My bank won't wire transfer. Also, the fact that the boat colors look different in each pic scares me. My wife doesn't like the look of it though. Thinks the style looks older than the other boats I've been looking at. I was thinking of adding a wrap- maybe- and defininetly a tower like the Illusion X but she doesn't want the hassle of adding all that.

http://www.boattrade...23-Lsv-98823137

They want a wire transfer before you test the boat? FWIW I wrote a personel check for mine, Atlanta Inboard was great to work with.

I would go with the 209...... Or if there are more MCs available in the area, I would try to find an early Xstar/X10/X1 (All three are the same hull, I think. Just different years). It is a great "all around" hull. Forget the Moomba....

You would find the fit and finish and overall quality of the Moomba to be far inferior to a MC and especially a Malibu. Like so many others on here I would say keep looking for a 'Bu, you will be much happier with the performance and quality, not to mention it will hold it's value better than MC and especially the Moomba.

If you are stuck on one of these three I would just say skip the Moomba and move in on one of the MC's.

Good luck!!

I frequently waterski behind a 2003 Prostar 197. No tower, no wedge, no ballast, and factory stereo. My crew are waterskiers only and have nointerest in wakeboarding. We play the factory CD frequently and we keep our "smooth jazz" at a background volume.

It is on an single axle mastercraft trailer with 16 " wheels. I have probably towed it 1000 to 2000 miles also. I am very high on the MC trailer because it has adequate wheels and tires and the factory tow cover works really great with the factory MC trailer.Take a look at it and you will see why.

It is well balanced on the factory trailer with a good heavy bias to the tongue weight. Out west an MC 197 Prostar is more available than an Response LXI. RLXI's are higher priced in Oregon because there are not as many.

I bum a tow frequently behind other boats at the Sundance ski course. As I recall I was disappointed with the free tow I got behind a direct drive Moomba. The wake was taller than the PS 197 and even the 1991 Malibu Sunsetter that is frequently in the rotation of my crew.

I have bummed a tow behind a Prostar 209. I actually liked it. Once again it had none of that crap like a tower and ballast that most folks on this board want and need.

I have not driven one. It feels like a DD Sunsetter to me. If I was in the market for a new boat I would seriously consider a 209. It has alittle higher freeboard and extra width to carry a crowd. One of the hotdogs on this board says a 209 is a pig. I do not have enough experience with one to dispute that. The 209 I was on / towed had the basic 310 HP engine, the same as Dennis 197.

I drive the PS 197 all the time at 1900 feet ASL . It has plenty of poop to full a skier, has a low wake, and turns on a dime. We rarely go top speed but I think it does 43 with 3 on board, no bimini.

Terry has a 2004 Response LX with the 340 Monsoon. It is faster than the PS 197 but it is a tighter smaller boat and the bow area does not get used due to the stepover bulkhead. The PS 197 we have to be careful to prevent a "chili dip". The 209 is better in this area.

If you have a big family or plan to wakeboard I would go 209 or Sunsetter DD. If you have more interest in waterskiing and have flat water the PS 197 is a great boat.

If you find an equivalent Response LXI at the MC PS 197 price it is probably a better answer. (that will not happen in Oregon).

I have a ski partner in my ski club that has a 209 and one that recently sold his 197. The 197, IMHO, is a fantastic ski boat. It's not as strong out of the hole as my RLXi, but plenty adequate. It drives / tracks great, is quieter than my RLXi, and has very nice wakes. I really liked that boat.

A few yrs ago, I showed up at the lake not knowing the 209 was our tow boat. It's a wayyy bigger boat than the 197. I was an observer first...the wakes looked huge compared to my RLXi or the 197. I dropped in and skied like normal, getting into 32' off with no issue. I was pleasantly surprised with my skiing performance behind the boat. If I kept the ski on edge, the wakes weren't an issue.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go 209 based on what you've said are your needs.

The 197 has a broken speedometer which most likely won't be a cheap fix. Also has a crap trailer, which may not affect you much until it comes time to sell. It is, however, the only current model of the two MCs.

The only boat of those three that I'd worry about depreciation of value is the Moomba. Both MCs are next level boats for a guy like me or others with older boats and should hold their value well.

209 is a great all rounder with a deeper freeboard for a drier ride in any chop. We had our Echelon out in 15mph winds and the whole windshield and front of the boat were soaked with spray by the time we got in. If you are not a hard core course skier the 209 is easily the one I would choose.You won't get anywhere near it's replacement (214) for that price.

Edited by jk13

The only boat of those three that I'd worry about depreciation of value is the Moomba. Both MCs are next level boats for a guy like me or others with older boats and should hold their value well.

209 is a great all rounder with a deeper freeboard for a drier ride in any chop. We had our Echelon out in 15mph winds and the whole windshield and front of the boat were soaked with spray by the time we got in. If you are not a hard core course skier the 209 is easily the one I would choose.You won't get anywhere near it's replacement (214) for that price.

^This

And I wouldnt worry about the depreciation of a MasterCraft. It is no worse than a Malibu..... And Malibu's, MasterCrafts, and Nautique's hold there value better than any other boat built.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Malibu-Escape-23-Lsv-98823137

Welcome O'wake.

You're comparing Mastercraft's slalom ski tractor with Malibu's 23 foot cruiser? Step one is to figure out what you want. If a direct drive ski and family boat, I don't see how in the world you could have any trouble finding numerous response lxis, sunsetters, and wakesetters all over the place in Florida. Rest assured there are plenty and malibu's luxury boat isn't even comparable to the other models you're considering.

Welcome O'wake.

You're comparing Mastercraft's slalom ski tractor with Malibu's 23 foot cruiser? Step one is to figure out what you want. If a direct drive ski and family boat, I don't see how in the world you could have any trouble finding numerous response lxis, sunsetters, and wakesetters all over the place in Florida. Rest assured there are plenty and malibu's luxury boat isn't even comparable to the other models you're considering.

:plus1:

The best all around boat that Malibu ever made is the "classic" Sunsetter LXI. They were built only from '99 - '04. They are comparable in size, free-board, etc. to the PS209.

Do a search on www.onlyinboards.com and you'll find a number of them in your price range. There is a killer one for sale over by Naples with the Corvette engine option, tower, etc. with really low hours for about $21,500. http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27021

The best all around boat that Malibu ever made is the "classic" Sunsetter LXI. They were built only from '99 - '04. They are comparable in size, free-board, etc. to the PS209.

Do a search on www.onlyinboards.com and you'll find a number of them in your price range. There is a killer one for sale over by Naples with the Corvette engine option, tower, etc. with really low hours for about $21,500. http://www.onlyinboa...s.aspx?ID=27021

That is a great looking boat. Love that motor. too.

That boat has also spent a lot of time in salt water. Have a look at the underwater gear in the photos.

Maybe so, gotta wonder why a boat like that is only $21,500. The trailer has a few signs that might indicate as much (the jack is particularly sad looking, and potentially some signs of salt at the bases of the guide poles and around the tail lamps. That said, that motor, bilge, swim platform, and wedge look pristine if indeed it was used in salt water... Certainly worth a closer look.

I have owned both Mastercraft and Malibu boats and really like both of them. Since I won't buy a new boat anytime soon, for me I am looking for the best value for my buck when I am in the market for a boat. I would pass on Moomba as I don't think they are on the same level as Malibu and Mastercraft. I prefer Malibu, Mastercraft and Nautique...in that order...if i were rank ordering them. I loved my PS205 LT-1, but also really loved my Malibu Echelon and am absolutely thrilled with my current 2002 Malibu 23 XTi.

You didn't mention budget, but given the boats you are looking at, I am guessing $20-ish K is your ballpark. Boats I would consider if I were in your shoes, looking for an all-around boat:

Malibu Sunsetter LXi (1999+)

Malibu Wakesetter XTi (2002+)

Malibu Sunscape 20v...will break the above budget but great boat

Mastercraft PS205 (1996+)

Mastercraft PS209 (2001+)

Nautique SV211 (2004+)...will break above budget but great boat

Nautique 216 (2002+)

Even if you do not wakeboard, a tower is nice to have. My kids all wakeboard, and I don't know where I would put all the boards without the tower and racks, etc. It is also nice to tow from the tower as you get full usable interior while towing.

Good luck!

-- Mike