Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

overstearing while docking?

robertstone9

i tend to over correct while docking and often loose sense of steering straight ahead new to inboards always had outboards any easy ways to return the wheel to center?

For me it's just instinct which comes with experience. But, in the beginning, I just remembered how many times I had turned the wheel.

You're not alone. I can never seem to figure out what position the wheel is in.....

Seems like there are far more revolutions lock to lock than my i/o. Perhaps just my imagination.

Go slow and keep bumping it in and out of gear. All my inboards have been two complete turns from center is full turn. It will come to ya soon.

Go slow and keep bumping it in and out of gear.

Good advice.

You can also use little taps of reverse to slow yourself when needed. Also, when possible try to approach docks at a 30 degree angle on your starboard side....that way when your bow is almost to the dock you can put it in reverse and stern will come right up to the dock. Once you get the hang of it, you can parallel park these boats really easily. Really though, it's all about experience.......just takes time. Good luck.

For centering the wheel, I did a little trick I saw on a nascar steering wheel a while back. I set the boat on straight course, which ended up being a straight rudder. Anyway, when straight I put a little piece of yellow tape on the center, top of the steering wheel.

So, when driving up on trailer and docking I have a reference for when the rudder is straight.

Steve B.

There are some simple indicators that you can stick to the center of your steering wheel.

Here are a couple places you could order one:

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/DAV-385/110002/Instrumentation/Rudder+Position+Indicator.html

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP80814842.htm

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=21000&pdesc=Davis_Rudder_Position_Indicator&aID=601P5&merchID=4006

I have never used one but it looks like a simple idea.

It's my first summer with an inboard too, and every time I think I'm getting good, I have a day like today. The back end came around on me before I had it up on the bunks to trailer it. I just jumped out and walked it on, but I thought I was finally over my days of looking like a complete rookie at the dock :cry:, as the last 8 times or so we've trailered it perfectly.

The added wind didn't help today. bs001's advice is good regarding approach angles. That works pretty good for me at the docks.

Same problem. I have been boating for 35 years with no problems until I got my Malibu this summer. I live on the lake and have a slip that only has about 6 - 10 inches on each side. Just as I get up to the slip and get under 3 mph, the boat goes crooked and boom into the side of the slip. I help up on getting any gel work on the boat in anticipation of this. On top of that, I used to throw it in reverse to stop myself in the slip and have now hit the prop on the wooden lift runner twice since I was crooked. It's been an expensive learning curve. I now get pull it in until I get a little better.

think the fix is to go in and out of gear alot and make small adjustments. docking or trailering are really really simple once you get it in your head to make small adjustments. I ock and load always in a cray current (tides) and have had to learn fast.

i tend to over correct while docking and often loose sense of steering straight ahead new to inboards always had outboards any easy ways to return the wheel to center?

The best plan while docking is to never go faster than the speed you are comfortable hitting something at.

I do the in and out of gear a lot.

The other option would be to add a dock wheel or Nomar bumper to the corner of your dock. I have the Nomar bumpers on a slip for a larger boat and they are great, never leave a mark on the hull.

just remember to let the boat do the work. make slow, gentle corrections. i don't know how other inboard-ers do it, but i shift in and out of neutral quite a bit, making slight turns and modifications to my course.

experience truly is key, and remember, inboards turn in reverse like porcupines have sex; not often and very carefully.

and backing in to a slip may be easier, especially if the pier only surrounds 2 sides of the boat. i much prefer swinging my tail-end around.