Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

where to mount transom underwater lights

khelfrich

got the 9 led Malibu underwater lights, wondering where is the best place to mount them on a 2008 247 lsv i have seen over the exhaust tips and heard of people mounting them out a little farther and wiring them up through the access for the rear ballast tank pumps. what is the best place to mount the lights

thanks

Ken

Ive got two sets on my boat mounted on either side of the platform brackets. If I only had one set and was to do it over again is mount them over the exhaust because its the only flat spot on the hull under the platform. My lights angle a little, not a huge deal but I don't think its ideal either.

when there mounted above the exhaust it seems like the power wedge will block most of the light if its stowed/up anyone know if this is how it is

Ken

I used shadowcasters so they were too big to mount over the exhaust, went out to the sides and it's perfect, they shine right around the sides of the boat. I've got some pics I'll put up tomorrow

I went with the Attwood's last year because of the deal I got. After all the reading here, this is where I mounted them:

P6241999.JPG

...and here is an awful shot of them at night from a Droid:

nightshot.jpg

Those don't look bad. They look fairly bright too. How do you like them? Were did you pick them up?

Ug, I looked everywhere to see where I got them and can't find it. Installation was easy. Measured once and drilled twice! Wait, you know what I mean... Three holes, 3M something or another and wired them into the interior lights. It was really easy, toughest part is making sure I wasn't going to drill into a stringer. They work fine and get used a bunch when we are on vacation. I "hear" they work well for night surfing..... ;-)

Edited by CTSunsetter

Mine are mounuted over the exhaust and i thought i had a short in the lights when under power. The bubbles from the exhaust seem to mess up the light pattern so it looks like they are flickering. With engine off - looks great!

martinarcher

Ug, I looked everywhere to see where I got them and can't find it. Installation was easy. Measured once and drilled twice! Wait, you know what I mean... Three holes, 3M something or another and wired them into the interior lights. It was really easy, toughest part is making sure I wasn't going to drill into a stringer. They work fine and get used a bunch when we are on vacation. I "hear" they work well for night surfing..... ;-)

Cool. Sounds like they are pretty good then. Have you seen the 9 LED Malibu lights? I'm wondering how they compare.

I got my Malibu ones for the last boat on a group buy. I just can't swallow buying another pair at retail price. They are stupid expensive for what they are.

• 2 weeks later...

the ones i have are the 9 led malibu ones i mounted them still need to find time to wire them in i will let you know how they look when i get them mounted

Ken

martinarcher

the ones i have are the 9 led malibu ones i mounted them still need to find time to wire them in i will let you know how they look when i get them mounted

Ken

You should be pretty happy with them. I had them on my Skier and was very pleased with them. I got them through a group buy that 06 put together here on the crew a few years back.