Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter engine issues

christopher.Smiley

Hi fellow Malibu Boat owners!

This is my first post on this website but I have been lurking for quite some time. Great info and fantastic people! Here are my questions:

Boat is a 2005 Wakesetter XTi with the 340 HP engine. Engine says it has 175 hours on it which I know is not much but the previous owners did not take care of the boat. Put it into the water this week for the first time and it did a few quirky things. Here are the issues so far:

1. At low speeds or idle, the boat overheats within 2 or 3 minutes. This was an issue when trying to get into the marina and trailer the boat. What might be causing this issue? Sticking thermostat or water pump failing?

2. When the boat is at speeds above 28MPH, the boat gives a check engine warning. If I slow it down, it goes away.

3. Steering appears to be VERY stiff compared to the first time I tested it. What should I look for or where is the adjustment for it?

4. What cold cranking AMPS should the proper battery have for these boats? The battery the boat had when I boat it was a standard automotive grade, not marine grade.

I am very mechanical and can handle most things but want to ask the experts on this site for your ideas. And I know that I should probably take it to a dealer but the closest dealer is over 100 miles away so I want to try stuff at home first. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Smiley

This is my first post on this website but I have been lurking for quite some time. Great info and fantastic people! Here are my questions:

Boat is a 2005 Wakesetter XTi with the 340 HP engine. Engine says it has 175 hours on it which I know is not much but the previous owners did not take care of the boat. Put it into the water this week for the first time and it did a few quirky things. Here are the issues so far:

1. At low speeds or idle, the boat overheats within 2 or 3 minutes. This was an issue when trying to get into the marina and trailer the boat. What might be causing this issue? Sticking thermostat or water pump failing?

Probably the impeller, Replace that now and look for parts of it or the other one at the transmission cooler.

2. When the boat is at speeds above 28MPH, the boat gives a check engine warning. If I slow it down, it goes away.

3. Steering appears to be VERY stiff compared to the first time I tested it. What should I look for or where is the adjustment for it?

Replace stering cable.

4. What cold cranking AMPS should the proper battery have for these boats? The battery the boat had when I boat it was a standard automotive grade, not marine grade.

My start battery is automotive as well I have a marine deep cycle to help with the stero.

I am very mechanical and can handle most things but want to ask the experts on this site for your ideas. And I know that I should probably take it to a dealer but the closest dealer is over 100 miles away so I want to try stuff at home first. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Smiley

:welcome: There are a great bunch of guys on here to hepl with all problems and we can even help you bust the budget with upgrades.

:welcome: There are a great bunch of guys on here to hepl with all problems and we can even help you bust the budget with upgrades.

That check engine over 28 could be your knok sensor, try to clean the connection it may work, worked for me.

:thumbup:

:whistle: Just what I need, y'all helping me bust my budget!! HAHA I am excited about getting this boat working properly and actually I tend to be a tinkerer...waiting for some advice of upgrades!

Anyone else have any advice or insight as to what might the causes for the other problems?

Smiley

1. Replace impeller and check transmission cooler for blockage

2. I'd second the recommendation to look at the knock sensor, starboard side, where the block plug is, right near the starter

3. Sounds like you are due for a new steering cable

4. Get the biggest one you can get that is the correct size, I'd say between 650-1000 is what you're aiming for.

Since the boat has been neglected I would just go ahead and do all the regular maintenance items, impeller, fuel filter, belt, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, oil change, and a transmission fluid change heck while I'm at it put a thermostat in there too. Should be around $150 to do everything yourself and then you know the last time everything was replaced. This is what I do every time I buy a new boat, only thing I may skip is plug wires, but there is a guy on ebay who sells them for much less than the usual sites.

Skidim in inboardonline are good places to pick up parts.

-Chris

2. I'd second the recommendation to look at the knock sensor, starboard side, where the block plug is, right near the starter

4. Get the biggest one you can get that is the correct size, I'd say between 650-1000 is what you're aiming for.

Since the boat has been neglected I would just go ahead and do all the regular maintenance items, impeller, fuel filter, belt, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, oil change, and a transmission fluid change heck while I'm at it put a thermostat in there too. Should be around $150 to do everything yourself and then you know the last time everything was replaced. This is what I do every time I buy a new boat, only thing I may skip is plug wires, but there is a guy on ebay who sells them for much less than the usual sites.

-Chris

Hi-jack on:

Got a link? At 460 hrs I think I'm due.

Hi-jack off

Edit-nevermind I think I found them on Ebay for about $32 :thumbup:

Edited by Ndawg12

Hi-jack on:

Got a link? At 460 hrs I think I'm due.

Hi-jack off

Edit-nevermind I think I found them on Ebay for about $32 :thumbup:

Careful on those, the HVS distributor requires different plug wires than the older boats.

No you need the more expensive ones to work with your HVS distributor.

Your cap looks like this right? If so you need plug wires compatible with the HVS system.

Yes that's it, I guess I should have read the description, it says for a "male type distributor". So would Shawn's work and/or how come you won't share your source :fingerwag:

Yes that's it, I guess I should have read the description, it says for a "male type distributor". So would Shawn's work and/or how come you won't share your source :fingerwag:

My source was that guy on ebay, some of us don't roll in 06+ plus boats man. Looks like you'll have to buy the pricy ones from skidim, I bet the ones you have now are looking better and better.

Also not positive but pretty sure my 04 Suburban was coil near plug, so I doubt that set Shawn posted would work.

-Chris

My source was that guy on ebay, some of us don't roll in 06+ plus boats man. Looks like you'll have to buy the pricy ones from skidim, I bet the ones you have now are looking better and better.

Also not positive but pretty sure my 04 Suburban was coil near plug, so I doubt that set Shawn posted would work.

-Chris

yeah you are prolly right because ski-dim's hvs wires say they don't work with the 6.0L motor, and the wires I linked to say they do.

Here's what the distro cap for a 96-98 suburban looks like according to my faultless interweb sleuthing:

D329A.jpg

which sure looks like hvs to me.

So our 06+ boats with HVS are likely compatible with 96-98 plug wires.

Which if true would be these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spark-Plug-Wires-1996-1997-1998-Chevy-Suburban-5-7L-V8-/390143609917?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ad65f0c3d

no warranty is express or implied from this poast. We'll never know if they work till ndawg12 buys a set and then tries to knock them off in his garage over the winter.

-Chris

pretty much what i would recommend. On a side note i just picked up an 05 xti that was slightly neglected as well. :cry: Just about new again now though :clap:

pretty much what i would recommend. On a side note i just picked up an 05 xti that was slightly neglected as well. :cry: Just about new again now though :clap:

Any idea which is the right steering cable? Looks like they are between 150 and 200...want to make sure that is correct?! :crazy: