Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 sunsetter vlx (monsoon) on and off bogging

I have read many threads on here and mine seems close but not exact. I took the boat to the lake for a 4 day trip. When we got there I backed it in the water started it up and let it warm up. When we went to take off it bogged down back fired and died. Started it back up and had no power. It would only bog down. At idle speed it was fine. I kept playing with it and sometimes it would start to take off and then bog down again after a while of going back to idle and trying again it started working fine. Worked fine the rest of the day. Day #2 went out in the morning and it started right up. We idled out of the no wake just fine then when I went to take off it did it again and I just kept going back to idle over and over until it took off. We did some watersports for a while then it all started again. It seems to be that I can eventually get it to work fine but then it just happens again. It did this all 4 days. I changed the plugs and checked the wires. It did not help. It def runs rich when this happens. Some minor black smoke, strong smell of gas and back fires (some of the time). Also this does not happen at any specific time. It does not matter how long I have been running the boat it justs seems to happen for no reason. I also always let the boat warm up first so I have not tried it while the engine was still cool. I have only owned this boat for a couple of months so I am somewhat stressed about spending 24000 dollars on a boat that won't run well so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You might take a look at the distributor cap and bug. We had a simular issue and that was the fix for us. At some point or another we have all felt your issue. This forum is a good resource to help you when you are having troubles. Good luck with your fix, I am sure others will chime in with other fixes.

CB

start with the simple stuff...is this your first use of the boat? where did you get gas? was fuel stabilized? chage fuel filters. could certainly be a fuel delivery issue.

As said before. I would start with the fuel filter. I a friend has to change his filter every year on his sunsetter with out fail.

Being intermittent (so to speak), I would not suspect the fuel filter, but I recommend changing the fuel filter yearly, without fail.

With the back fire I would look towards ignition - spark plugs predominately, but look at the cap/rotor and wires while you're at it. The TPS is also a potential here.

Peter

Thanks for the input. This was the 4th time I had taken the boat out. I did not have this issue the other three times but I took it local the first three times in ohio. The 4th time I hauled it 5 hours to Norris Lake in Tennessee and had the issue immediately in the water. Smoothwaterman- Does tps stand for throttle position sensor? Also I changed the plugs in Tennessee and added fuel injector cleaner to the gas to see if that helped. Do these boats need premium gas or is 87 octane fine? I have not owned an inboard before I had an I/O and was confident working on it but it was older without all of these sensors. I will change the fuel filters today and the cap and rotor. I will let you guys know and thanks again.

Thanks for the input. This was the 4th time I had taken the boat out. I did not have this issue the other three times but I took it local the first three times in ohio. The 4th time I hauled it 5 hours to Norris Lake in Tennessee and had the issue immediately in the water. Smoothwaterman- Does tps stand for throttle position sensor? Also I changed the plugs in Tennessee and added fuel injector cleaner to the gas to see if that helped. Do these boats need premium gas or is 87 octane fine? I have not owned an inboard before I had an I/O and was confident working on it but it was older without all of these sensors. I will change the fuel filters today and the cap and rotor. I will let you guys know and thanks again.

yes as to TPS and you should run 89 per indmar...how old is the gas? backfire is pre-detonation, your ECM might be fritzy detecting gas issue. Did you buy gas somewhere in TN before you put in? I'd run 93 at first to get the tank's octane up in case that's an explanation.

I just filled it up a week ago at a speedway but I put 87 in it. While on the lake I filled it twice and that was 93 octane so none of the gas was old. I also forgot to tell you that it revs up fine while in neutral the problem only happens while under a load if that changes anything.

I just filled it up a week ago at a speedway but I put 87 in it. While on the lake I filled it twice and that was 93 octane so none of the gas was old. I also forgot to tell you that it revs up fine while in neutral the problem only happens while under a load if that changes anything.

Do you mean from a marina pump? If so, marinas are notorious for having old (bad) gas. I would run 93 from a station where you know the gas is fresh for a at least 2 tanks. I'm thinking this is all a bad fuel and/or fuel delivery issue but certainly defer to smoothwaterman's expertise as well. You're certainly not going to hurt anything getting high-octane fresh gas. are you using any ethanol treatment? I would also get some of that ASAP!

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I took my boat to Georgia (from Michigan) before in the spring for the Masters ski tourney. The boat ran great in Michigan the week before i left. When I put it in in Georgia, it ran like crap. Got a lot of water out of the water-seperating fuel filter, and then it was fine the rest of the week. It was a carb'd boat.

Yes I filled up at a marina the second 2 times but already had gas from a station when the problem started but I did put 87 in it. I will change the filters, put in the high octane and check the distributor. The boat is about on empty right now so I should be able to tell pretty quick and I will also get the ethanol treatment while I'm out. Thanks

Yes I filled up at a marina the second 2 times but already had gas from a station when the problem started but I did put 87 in it. I will change the filters, put in the high octane and check the distributor. The boat is about on empty right now so I should be able to tell pretty quick and I will also get the ethanol treatment while I'm out. Thanks

checked pvc valves lately? how many hours?

Ok, I just pulled the distributor cap and all points are very corroded. When I pulled the coil wire off of the cap the top half of the pin came out with it. I would say it is definitely bad. My question is where the button sits on top of the dist on a metal bar there is some light rust and on the bottom plate where there is a little screen(maybe a drain or something) there is quite a bit of corrosion sitting on it. Is this normal? Also, there was no gasket between the cap and distributor. Is this normal? Finally, how the heck does all that moisture get in there? Through that little screen at the bottom?

Thanks again

checked pvc valves lately? how many hours?

There are 575 hours and no I have not thought of that. When I took the breather off I saw a little bit of oil on and in the intake. Should the pcv valves stop that? I know where they are and what they are I'm just not sure what they do.

There are 575 hours and no I have not thought of that. When I took the breather off I saw a little bit of oil on and in the intake. Should the pcv valves stop that? I know where they are and what they are I'm just not sure what they do.

if they rattle they are OK. The ventilate the crankcase, a little oil is normal.

Ok, I just pulled the distributor cap and all points are very corroded. When I pulled the coil wire off of the cap the top half of the pin came out with it. I would say it is definitely bad. My question is where the button sits on top of the dist on a metal bar there is some light rust and on the bottom plate where there is a little screen(maybe a drain or something) there is quite a bit of corrosion sitting on it. Is this normal? Also, there was no gasket between the cap and distributor. Is this normal? Finally, how the heck does all that moisture get in there? Through that little screen at the bottom?

Thanks again

Your due for a tune up, new wires distributor etc. To avoid too much condensation, let your boat dry out before covering, this will help. If you store your boat on a trailer, pull the plugs. If you keep it on a shore station or moor it, get a bilge absorber.

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem. Turned out the fuel filter was the problem although it sounds like you have a combination of fuel delivery /ignition. i suspect that your boat revs fine in neutral because the amount of fuel required to get a SBC to get a VLX on plane would horrify you if you could see it. Also check screen ahead of fuel pump. Just my 2 bob.