Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

v drive or tranny just started knocking

was at lake for third straight day. we trailer each day. I heard a faint knocking and thought maybe wakeboard bindings were knocking in wind. Went to neutral and was fine. when I put in gear the knock was there. We just limped back at idle speed back to launch ramp. Prop is fine and tight but tightened prop more and duped back in water but as soon as in forward or reverse, it knocks. V Drive light turns off when in drive and appears to have oil. Any ideas?

Edited by wakenup23v

was at lake for third straight day. we trailer each day. just got out on water and idled around while friend parked boat with no issues. Started going across lake a couple minutes in I heard a faint knocking and thought maybe wakeboard bindings were knocking in wind. Went to neutral and was fine. when I put in gear the knock was there. More gas, faster the know. We just limped back at idle speed back to launch ramp. Prop is fine and tight but tightened prop more and duped back in water but as soon as in forward or reverse, it knocks. V Drive light turns off when in drive and appears to have oil. Any ideas?

Get the drive plate checked.

Thanks for the most likely issue. I was checking it out in my driveway and don't see anything obvious, So looks like I need to take it to a real boat mechanic. If I turn the prop by hand, I can find the one spot that it clicks/knocks. It make the noise at slow and fast speeds. Any estimates on what a dealership will charge to fix it. The only thing I could see doing for piece of mind to make sure it's not the drive shaft is remove it from the coupling and then run the shaft and see if it spins fine.

it makes the noise at slow AND fast speeds ?.......I am not an expert but when the damper plate was failing in my 06 RLXI, I could only hear the rythmic tapping sound at idle or VERY low rpm....maybe others more informed than I can chime in.......

• 2 weeks later...

Got to the lake this weekend. Lucky for me it was just the coupling bolts loose. I could not believe how loose they were - I could finger turn two of them! I tightened them up and no more low speed knock. There also seems to be less "thunk" when going into gear. I think I am good to go for now. :thumbup: