Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

STE(Silent Tip Exhaust) by Hydro Power ??

vec

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SmoothWaterMan

• HRemington

• VinRLX

• SunriseH2OSkier

The first customer of ours to install the STE tips himself and test them independently (and very precisely), found these results. Very impressive actually. He owns a 2005 RLXi with a HH 383. In his email to me he also noted that at 3100 rpm the readings were identical to those below.

Before

9-25-05

2050 rpm

Air temp 72

Water temp 68? (approx)

Noise level near drivers ear 92 dB

Noise at rear seat 102 dB

After

1-1-06

2050 rpm

Air temp 48

Water temp 42?(approx)

Noise level near drivers ear 87 dB

Noise at rear seat 94 dB

Look at the db drop at the rear seat - 8 db! As a comparison, 10 db is regarded as half the sound volume as heard by the human ear. So with installation of tips alone, rear seat sound level is almost half. This customer has standard mufflers and no motorbox insulation. The other thing his test indicates is that sound level at the driver's ear has a greater influence from the engine rather than the exhaust port, although the level there still dropped 5 db.

Good information.

Peter

Last Winter, I changed the straight exhausts to turn downs.

It took about 5 hours with two people.

Why?

We had to remove the fuel tank to get full acces to the back of the boat.

So the back ski locker had to taken out.

To do that we to remove the side panels.

Unfortunately, the change did not make much difference.

Malibu did promise me to sent new STE's this winter. Innocent.gif Hope that helps. I am glad to see someone tried it out before me and had positive results.

As LXi mentioned, the actual changing of the tips is the easy part. Removing the rear leanback, trunk, fuel tank, etc is the time consuming part. :(

Peter. :)

• 2 weeks later...
As LXi mentioned, the actual changing of the tips is the easy part. Removing the rear leanback, trunk, fuel tank, etc is the time consuming part. :(

Peter. :)

Peter,

What would be involved in retro-fitting these to a '99 Sportster LX?

Brian

as Peter said on first page, at least 3.5 hours of qualified tech time (read $$) or as lxione above said, DYI 5 hours for two people (read less $$ but more beer). Either one kinda scares me off of this mod.

as Peter said on first page, at least 3.5 hours of qualified tech time (read $$) or as lxione above said, DYI 5 hours for two people (read less $$ but more beer). Either one kinda scares me off of this mod.

DYI? Do Yourself It? or Doofus Yazoo I... What starts with I? Hmmm... Have to think about that for a bit. Innocent.gif

Yeah, you might not want to tackle a project like this Mr. Moneybags. You'd find a way to cross something up, then you'd be up a creek without a left handed metric johnson rod extender. :lol:

Party's over, Jerry. Sit down in your seat.

Tracie,

The beauty of this tip is that it will quiet the boat with no loss or degrading of the performance at all.

Okay....back on topic. :) Even though I own "one of those boats" now, I'm curious to hear if there's any discernible difference in power? Do they have much restriction?

I can't imagine a device that silences motor noise that wouldn't also offer up restriction and squash power. Nothing in this world is free.

I can't believe some of you guys and your "how can I make my boat quieter", "I especially don't like those thru-hull big blocks", I'm sitting here with my hands over my ears going "lalalalalalalalalalala I'm not listening lalalalalalalal" It's nothing short of masculine blasphemy! Am I going to have to read another passage from "The good book???? The Big Damn Book of Sheer Manliness.

"Foot pounds of torque is the elixir! It is the foundation of all things good! Can I get an Amen!!!!!"

Amen! (I'm a girl though, does that count? :))

I'm with you on the restriction, that's almost too good to be true.

Okay....back on topic. :) Even though I own "one of those boats" now, I'm curious to hear if there's any discernible difference in power? Do they have much restriction?

Tracie, no power loss at all.

Hank, I stated to expect 3.5 hours. My apprentice did a '06 RLX in 3 hours flat. The time is purely to remove the rear leanback, associated parts, and slide the fuel tank forward.

I personally like having the polished tip look, similar to the original stainless tips. If you don't care about the look, we are working on an inline version of the same baffle to see how the installation would be. (This would cut the install time in half)

Peter

Smooth Water Sports

In the horsepower world, nothing is free. In the the world of soundwaves, things can be different. The Bose active-noise-canceling headphones changed the world.

Here's the offer for any disbelievers.

Buy the tips. Install the tips. If you feel your boat is now slower or has less power, take the tips back off and send them back to us within 30 days. I'll give you 100% refund of the purchase price.

Peter

Smooth Water Sports

Peter, soup-to-nuts, what approximately would the total parts and labor run if I get them from you and have a boat guy here install, do you think?

A little off topic here, but I have always thought it would be cool if you could some how switch between your normal exhaust and a second set of pipes that were dry (like the jet boats) It would be fun every now and then to be loud as H*#) while cruising around!

A lake neighbor had a Cobalt with a switch that could do that. A flip of the switch gives you your choice of more or less testosterone.

It's called Captain's Call. A buddy of mine has it on his Cobalt. Very cool option.

yeah, Captain's Call talk starts at post #18, page 1, then digresses, per usual, on page 2. Some of my friends have a hard time staying on topic. Crazy.gif

A little off topic here, but I have always thought it would be cool if you could some how switch between your normal exhaust and a second set of pipes that were dry (like the jet boats) It would be fun every now and then to be loud as H*#) while cruising around!

A lake neighbor had a Cobalt with a switch that could do that. A flip of the switch gives you your choice of more or less testosterone.

It's called Captain's Call. A buddy of mine has it on his Cobalt. Very cool option.

Still haven't figured out the whole

Quote Thing
huh, Joe? :lol:

Oh, and Hank...the whole "Captain's Call" discussion was a digression in itself.