Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

STE(Silent Tip Exhaust) by Hydro Power ??

vec

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SmoothWaterMan

• HRemington

• VinRLX

• SunriseH2OSkier

Silent Tip Exhaust are new tips available on all new ordered boats, to meet the growing demand for quieter boats. The tip alone will "drop the sound level on a direct drive boat with standard mufflers to that of a standard V-drive". As most of you are aware, a standard V-drive muffler is pretty quiet....add these and it'll be super-nice!

The beauty of this tip is that it will quiet the boat with no loss or degrading of the performance at all.

HPTips.jpg

They are available to retro-fit to your existing boat.

Peter. :)

I was going to say that our turn downs are only noticeable while wakesurfing when they are actully in the water, then at wakeboard speeds it is quiter, but not too much.

will the STE drop the noise levels, even further, on a Vdrive?

what is the cost difference?

I ordered turned downed exh. from the factory and did not come on the boat. so the dealer will be pulling the exh. system to put on the turned downs. Should i change that to STE ?

Edited by mikea
If you don't know what the option is, why are you getting it? Dontknow.gif

:blush: Yeah I know, but I got it as part of a package deal, so Im not really paying extra for it. My dealer is going to use the boat for a boatshow as part of the deal, and I guess he want the extra bling on it.

Perhaps a bit late for Christmas, but a great...Valentine's Day Gift!

Good call, Peter! I can't think of anything more romantic that says "I love you" as exquisitely as his and hers dual exhaust tips. Oh, and honey?...it won't hurt my performance at all. Biggrin.gif I'm checking Feb 14 off my To Do list and moving it to Got 'Er Dun...

A little off topic here, but I have always thought it would be cool if you could some how switch between your normal exhaust and a second set of pipes that were dry (like the jet boats) It would be fun every now and then to be loud as H*#) while cruising around!

... if you could some how switch between your normal exhaust and a second set of pipes that were dry...

Over-the-transom dry stacks need to be out in the open for cooling purposes. Dry-stacks on a direct drive would make the backseat somewhat less desirable. :lol:

... if you could some how switch between your normal exhaust and a second set of pipes that were dry...

Over-the-transom dry stacks need to be out in the open for cooling purposes. Dry-stacks on a direct drive would make the backseat somewhat less desirable. :lol:

Not like that. The pipes would still be kept hidden until they exited behind the boat. Even then the pipes wouldn't have to stick out past the transom the could just open up like the existing pipes but above the swim platform.

A little off topic here, but I have always thought it would be cool if you could some how switch between your normal exhaust and a second set of pipes that were dry (like the jet boats) It would be fun every now and then to be loud as H*#) while cruising around!

A lake neighbor had a Cobalt with a switch that could do that. A flip of the switch gives you your choice of more or less testosterone.

A lake neighbor had a Cobalt with a switch that could do that. A flip of the switch gives you your choice of more or less testosterone.

Thats what I am talking about!

Inboard boats have a unique, sweet, throaty sound that shouldn't be quieted too much.  Correct Craft has suceeded muffling out that sound.

I agree!

Its called Captains Call and its available, typically used on I/o's instead of directing the exhaust through the out-drive with the flip of a switch it exhausts through the transom. A friend has it on his Cobalt.

Let's clarify a few things.

The new STE tips are NOT the Polished Turn Downs as have been available.

The only purpose of the STE tips are for noise reduction.

They are NOT designed as turn downs, and actually only very slightly angle the tip. The interior baffle design is what makes these tips the best choice for a quieter boat.

Yes, the STE tips will make every boat quieter. Will the difference mentioned between a standard direct drive and one with STE tips be the same difference on a V-drive? I don't have data on that yet, although I believe it will still make a difference.

I would order any 2006 boat with this option.

These tips are mfg'd by a company that does nothing but high-performance exhaust silencers.

We did a retro-fit to a 2006 Response LX, and the install took 3.5 hours of qualified tech time. Obviously some boats or shops will take longer.

Hope that helps,

Peter

A flip of the switch gives you your choice of more or less testosterone.

I bet TowelBabe wishes YOU had a switch like that, Hank. . .

Tease.gif

Inboard boats have a unique, sweet, throaty sound that shouldn't be quieted too much.  Correct Craft has suceeded muffling out that sound.

I don't know, I can hear the CC coming down the lake. And definitely MUCH quieter than other boats going back up the lake, with the exhaust pointed right at us.

And the whole DD vs VD thing must be a cockpit war, because the 21.5' Sunscape going up my lake sounds like a freakin' Supra. Not that I mind the rumble. . .but there are those that do.

I've said before and will say again, from the shore, from LOUD TO SOFT and most to least annoying:

Supra

Malibu

MC

CC

And it doesn't seem to matter DD/VD or quiet options. YMMV

I do...it switches from "more" to "even more". It ain't called "Captain's Call" for nothing. "Towelbabe, I'm about to activate Captain's Call, want to be the First Mate?" Crazy.gif

Hank, your reference to First Mate made me think of this scene too:

Dark Helmet: Careful you idiot! I said across her nose, not up it!

Laser Gunner: Sorry sir! I'm doing my best!

Dark Helmet: Who made that man a gunner?

Major a$$hole: I did sir. He's my cousin.

Dark Helmet: Who is he?

Colonel Sandurz: He's an a$$hole sir.

Dark Helmet: I know that! What's his name?

Colonel Sandurz: That is his name sir. A$$hole, Major A$$hole!

Dark Helmet: And his cousin?

Colonel Sandurz: He's an a$$hole too sir. Gunner's mate First Class Philip A$$hole!

Dark Helmet: How many a$$holes do we have on this ship, anyway?

[Entire bridge crew stands up and raises a hand]

Entire Bridge Crew: Yo!

Dark Helmet: I knew it. I'm surrounded by a$$holes!

[Dark Helmet pulls his face shield down]

Dark Helmet: Keep firing, a$$holes!

I'm just trying to figure out if you are supposed to be Dark Helmet or Colonel Sandurz...

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Tease.gif

I don't know, I can hear the CC coming down the lake. And definitely MUCH quieter than other boats going back up the lake, with the exhaust pointed right at us.

And the whole DD vs VD thing must be a cockpit war, because the 21.5' Sunscape going up my lake sounds like a freakin' Supra. Not that I mind the rumble. . .but there are those that do.

I've said before and will say again, from the shore, from LOUD TO SOFT and most to least annoying:

Supra

Malibu

MC

CC

And it doesn't seem to matter DD/VD or quiet options. YMMV

From shore, any inboard sounds good to me. It's those through hull I/Os that are annoying, especially the ones with the big blocks.