Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 VLX Illusion tower CHATTER, fathers day and the delta

I know there are a million posts on the illusion tower issues and i have read almost all of them. Oh well add another with video of actual clatter..

This is my first real boat, just picked it up a few months ago, 05 VLX, 200 hours, yellow....LOVE THIS thing....so sweet. We are in Northern CA so we have been going to Berryessa and Sonoma and finally yesterday we ventured to the Delta with a local and few other fathers...What a spot that place is so sweet! Little nervous about figuring my way around and not gettting lost but my buddy was heckling me with "just follow th power lines back and Mnt Diablo"....oh well we made it back to Discovery Bay Yacht Harbor...

So the only issue with the new boat is drivers side clatter at med to fast speeds. I tightened everything down including the feet but no help? My only dealer in the area is the guy in Antioch? I have med mechanical skills so i could probably handle but dont mind taking to the dealer to handle once and for all?

clatter link....

Thanks for your help, very cool sight, i am already a very proud BU supporter!

THanks

Chris

I have an '08 that has some movement also. If you search around you can find people have used this pads to close the gap and keep the base from getting cracks. I think I saw one person used the rubber linings for fishing boats? I have new bushings on order from Malibu, hopefully that fixes the problem.

There are two dealerships around here. I am not impressed with either. Larson has had my boat 7 weeks for a warranty replacement of the damper plate. After breaking a hose and multiple wrong fittings causing a three week delay they gave me the boat with the forward/reverse lines crossed, cooler seat not hinged on, a broken trailer guide, and scuff marks on my rails. Owner claimed he would not have been responsible for damage had something had gone wrong (ie boat hits truck, trailer, or god forbid a person). When I asked for a refund on the $200 impeller change (done during the 7 weeks they had the boat) due to my wasted gas money from the bay and back he refused. Despite sending me on the road with a boat in worse condition than when it arrived, apparently, he felt he had hundreds of dollars into the repair and Malibu only pays him for 6 hours, so tuff sh-t. Its to bad, the mechanics are pretty good. The owner on the other hand will not be receiving another dime from me.

You are much better off taking it to Boat Masters in Livermore since you aren't under warranty. Their hourly rate is a little lower than the dealership, they do good work, get things done in a reasonable amount of time, and are actually customer friendly.

i ended up using a 1/2 in inside diameter 3/4 outside diameter brass flanged bushing. you will have to drill out the hole in the rear tower interior to 3/4 and will probably have to pound the flanged portion the bushing to fit. after i put them in, the illusion tower is tight enough back there to stay up on its own without pins. no stress of course, just needs to be moved manually to collapse. it will be extremely tight after this and i haven't heard a peep out of it even thorough rough chop. All that for a total 5-6$ investment.

i ended up using a 1/2 in inside diameter 3/4 outside diameter brass flanged bushing. you will have to drill out the hole in the rear tower interior to 3/4 and will probably have to pound the flanged portion the bushing to fit. after i put them in, the illusion tower is tight enough back there to stay up on its own without pins. no stress of course, just needs to be moved manually to collapse. it will be extremely tight after this and i haven't heard a peep out of it even thorough rough chop. All that for a total 5-6$ investment.

Awesome, thank you... I am all over the bushing thing, just from the hardware store?

yeah, like i said, it probably won't fit the greatest when you lift the tower up until you pound the flange slightly flatter. also make sure when you drill out the hole for the bearing that it is pretty spot on. otherwise getting the bolt to fit will be a biotch.