Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

what the heck is it i found in the bilge?

Maybe a broken rivit.

no idea, don't think it is a rivet though, looks like it was a 1/4" pin but where it is from????

Slight hijack...woody, how did you make the themalibucrew.com barcode?

Edited by Cervelo

Not a rivet as in pop rivet, but a large steel manufacturing type rivet. Only place I can see that coming from on the boat is engine/trans area. I guess you could look it over real good.

ok, i've got an idea; thought i'd better put it out there before it dies of loneliness!

any chance it's a part of the flex-plate?

just clicked: that dude is riveted together.

let's keep trying other ideas, i don't like the flex-plate answer.Cry.gif

tvano's idea gave me an idea that also needed to be shared or risk a lonely demise. I had my flex plate replaced last year while my engine was being rebuilt. I still have the old one, so I just went out and took a few pictures of it. Notice the four rivets spaced just outside of the springs. As much as we don't want this to be the case, I'm afraid tvano might be right. These are low quality pictures taken with my cell phone. If you'd like some higher quality ones, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Edit: looking at it a little more closely, the head on tvano's part looks too big. Not sure if this is from the flex plate or not.

post-12536-053147100 1308511807_thumb.jp

post-12536-084554500 1308511821_thumb.jp

Edited by jcochrane007

If it's not from the flex plate, it sure looks like a pin that would hold two pivoting things together.

ie. shifter cable, rudder, throttle cable end, etc...

tvano's idea gave me an idea that also needed to be shared or risk a lonely demise. I had my flex plate replaced last year while my engine was being rebuilt. I still have the old one, so I just went out and took a few pictures of it. Notice the four rivets spaced just outside of the springs. As much as we don't want this to be the case, I'm afraid tvano might be right. These are low quality pictures taken with my cell phone. If you'd like some higher quality ones, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Edit: looking at it a little more closely, the head on tvano's part looks too big. Not sure if this is from the flex plate or not.

thanks a bunch for posting pix of the flex-plate, now i'm pretty sure it's not the source of that fastener.

i also questioned just how that rivet could wander from the bell housing to the bilge.

there are some places it could escape but the odds are pretty strong against it.

thanks a bunch for posting pix of the flex-plate, now i'm pretty sure it's not the source of that fastener.

i also questioned just how that rivet could wander from the bell housing to the bilge.

there are some places it could escape but the odds are pretty strong against it.

It could wander out the bottom of the bell housing by the starter, any weird vibrations at all?

-Chris

no idea, don't think it is a rivet though, looks like it was a 1/4" pin but where it is from????

Slight hijack...woody, how did you make the themalibucrew.com barcode?

The barcode app for android.

looks like the head of a dowel pin possible, also know as a clevis pin. shift pins on the linkage(s) trans, throttle or steering cable end

That would be my guess too

it sure looks like a pin that would hold two pivoting things together.

ie. shifter cable, rudder, throttle cable end, etc...

looks like the head of a dowel pin possible, also know as a clevis pin. shift pins on the linkage(s) trans, throttle or steering cable end

That would be my guess too

Me too.

Edited by Pistol Pete

:plus1:

A few months after I sold my 90 Skier the new owner showed me the shift pin that had sheared off at the shifter. (looks like part of it)

Are you a second owner? May have happened some time ago?

original owner.

i do appreciate all of the suggestions. well, almost all of the suggestions.

that johnson rod isn't connected with a pin in '04, it was thru bolted.

i've looked at the linkages/pivot points and spent a bit of time standing on my head with a flashlight.

the only thing i have found is that i get dizzy spending a bit of time standing on my head.

had the boat out once since i found the loose part and lived to tell about it.

hope that string of luck continues.

original owner.

i do appreciate all of the suggestions. well, almost all of the suggestions.

that johnson rod isn't connected with a pin in '04, it was thru bolted.

i've looked at the linkages/pivot points and spent a bit of time standing on my head with a flashlight.

the only thing i have found is that i get dizzy spending a bit of time standing on my head.

had the boat out once since i found the loose part and lived to tell about it.

hope that string of luck continues.

We've all been there!! Hate it when that happens... :crazy: