Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Tires

Well it's time to replace my Goodyear Marathons (215/75 R14) after yet another blowout.

My typical towing: I tow, on average, 300 miles each way and total about 2500-3000 miles per year. Running on the freeway at about 60 - 65mph (sometimes a little more...). Temps in summer 100+ degrees outside.

The previous set of Marathons blew out during the 3rd year. Blew two (2) tires on one trip. Had fender damage and got Goodyear to replace all 4 tires and the fender.

Last summer (again the 3rd year on the next set of Marathon's) had a blowout in similar conditions. Time to switch gears/brands!

Putting on a set of Kumho 857 radial trailer tires today. The specs are as follows:

Goodyear Marathon: 215/75R14 "C" rating Max Load 1870# @ 50psi. Section Width 8.5" Diameter 26.7" Tire Rack price $108

Kumho 857: 205/75R14 "D" rating Max Load 2271# @ 65psi Section Width 8.2" Diameter 27.0" Tire Rack price $120

Will report back after first trip (July 4th weekend).

Sounds like a good switch. Dontw8 is the resident expert on trailer tires. He'll probably chime in.

yeah, I think he will suggest going with 15's as well, overkill is his approach which has worked for him, but that's quite an expense. Doesn't sound like a bad price for a d-load tire. I would give Discount Tire a shot if you have any in your area.

I tow in the same conditions as the OP (not quite as many miles per year) and I swear by my Carlisles. (D range)

10 yrs. on the trailer and still on only the second set of them. Prolly need new this season. Both times I got a flat, it was slow, not an explosion.

All tires dry rot. Proper inflation and protection from the sun is the key to longivity. Most drivers seldom check inflation of thier tires. Most fail due to underinflation or a road hazzard. I sold the Marathons for years, they are a good product. Goodyear has a long reputation and good name. Where do you get a Kumho tire adjusted? Will the tire Rack pay the costs to dismount and remount the replacement tire? Are thier specs accurate?

I've seen this Dont W8 fellow waterski. He's not very good. However, his trailering experiences have put him in big demand among his crew. He does all of the towing for his other 3 crew members which makes him the trailer grunt.

I have been preaching about going to the load Range D and E tires on this board for awhile. Basically, I have found that the highest Load Range tire I could buy has served me well. I tow a travel trailer also and this is where I have had the opportunity to compare notes with the RV folks who have come to the same condclusion. I have been towing boat trailers for 49 years. I have been upgrading tires and greasing trailer bearings frequently with the Blue Sta-Lube marine grease for probably 30 years now. My minimum tow is 43 miles to Lake Billy Chinook and I frequently tow my boat to Portland ( 155 miles) and the Sacramento Delta (460 miles). I have not had a bearing failure nor a flat / blowout in that time. I have not carried a spare for 30 years either, but rather I chose to spend that money keeping my tires current and at the highest Load Range. That is my practical experience.

You have taken the correct step in my view by going to a Load Range D. Frankly, I would rather have the cheesiest Load Range E Brand X tires on my trailer than Michelin load Range C. However, I do run Michelin's on the 2 german cars and on my trusty Duramax (E). I was in the lumber business and I found by going to E range I stopped picking up nails on jobsites. Once again just my personal experience.

If you still encounter difficulties you could consider raising your trailer fender height and moving to a 15" or 16" load range E. I raised mine and moved my trailer axle aft to make my boat track behind me no matter how crazy I drove through the curves on I - 5 just North of Lake Shasta. West Coaster's know how crazy it can be through that stretch. Several times I have spent Sunday on the Sacto Delta and started for home in the dark for the 9 hour drive back to Bend. No time to get a blowout.

Good Luck. You have made a smooth move to eliminate your problem. Your Kumho's should work and if they don't then find a heavier rated tire and keep it inflated to the 65 PSI mark.

Long winded fellow that DontW8 guy. ;)

I just had my first issues with my factory tires (trailamerica?).

I purchased a new Carlisle, but the only option is a higher load range C in a 14". I only purchased 1 (my spare for now).

Are there Load Range D's available in a 14" that anyone has seen?

These C's are rated at 1870 pounds.

Highest rated 14" tire is the KUMHO 857 that Mike G is buying.

It is a load range D in a 205/75 R 14. Rated 2271 pounds load at 65 PSI

That tire weighs about 29 ? pounds or so itself.

Carlisle makes a wider 215/75 R 14 in a load range C that has a load rating of 1870 # at 50 PSI.

I think it weighs about 25 or 26 pounds.

I look at the weight of these tires as a guide as to how well they are built.

Not as important as the load rating of course.

The Carlisle 215 C is a good choice but the Kumho 205 D is a better choice.

Kind of like the implants that Wakesetter67 was talking about.

C is good, D is better, E is best......... :yahoo:

C is good, D is better, E is best......... :yahoo:

From my high school typing teacher: "It ain't the size of the waves, it's the motion of the ocean". It was an all boy school. I'll take a D all day long.

I have Carlisle ST/225/75/D15, 8 ply bias, 2540lbs each, for $82.50 each balanced and mounted. Just bought 'em in Feb of this year. Towed 127 miles so far, at 70mph, and 34 degree air temp. FWIW.

Michigan has the best solution figured out. If you have room for 15 inch you can go to the tire he has.

For those that have HOT weather and long distances his plan is the best answer I am aware of.

That gives him a 10,160 pound load rating.

Single axle Mastercraft trailers have a 16" wheel. With a 245/75 R 16 E they have a load rating of 3048 ? pounds each at 80 PSI.

You can go aftermarket to the 265/75 R 16 E and get a 3408 ? pounds each rating at 80 PSI.

On trailers a higher rating drops your problem potential.

For those with single axle trailers, there is a 16 inch Honda CRV (I think) wheel that is the correct 5 bolt pattern.

By finding a 5 bolt 16 inch wheel that fits your bolt pattern you open up a whole bunch of Load Range E sizes including:

225/75 R 16 E, 245/75 E, and 265/75 E.

Michigan has the best solution figured out. If you have room for 15 inch you can go to the tire he has.

For those that have HOT weather and long distances his plan is the best answer I am aware of.

That gives him a 10,160 pound load rating.

Actually it's a single axle, so 5,080 load rating. Trailer is 700lbs (I think), boat is 3000lbs with gear & stuff. My idea was I tow maybe 200 miles per entire season, and was looking to go cheap. I bought the same tire new as a spare, just in case.

All tires dry rot. Proper inflation and protection from the sun is the key to longivity. Most drivers seldom check inflation of thier tires. Most fail due to underinflation or a road hazzard. I sold the Marathons for years, they are a good product. Goodyear has a long reputation and good name. Where do you get a Kumho tire adjusted? Will the tire Rack pay the costs to dismount and remount the replacement tire? Are thier specs accurate?

I gave the prices from Tire Rack (as well as shipping costs, mounting/balancing/tire disposal fees) to my local dealer, "Tire Man" in Thousand Oaks, CA and he matched the price. This way I was able to deal with someone I have a relationship with. He (Tire Man) carries Kumho tires so they can warranty them should that become necessary.

I am religious/obsessive (?) about inflation and always check before each trip and alway keep inflated to the max cold limits. Local dealers have have had their reservations about the Goodyear Marathons but I am told that they (Goodyear) may have corrected the blow-out problems. BTW - the tire failures I have experienced has always been tread separation, not sidewall blowout.

Edited by mikeg

I've seen this Dont W8 fellow waterski. He's not very good. However, his trailering experiences have put him in big demand among his crew. He does all of the towing for his other 3 crew members which makes him the trailer grunt.

I have been preaching about going to the load Range D and E tires on this board for awhile. Basically, I have found that the highest Load Range tire I could buy has served me well. I tow a travel trailer also and this is where I have had the opportunity to compare notes with the RV folks who have come to the same condclusion. I have been towing boat trailers for 49 years. I have been upgrading tires and greasing trailer bearings frequently with the Blue Sta-Lube marine grease for probably 30 years now. My minimum tow is 43 miles to Lake Billy Chinook and I frequently tow my boat to Portland ( 155 miles) and the Sacramento Delta (460 miles). I have not had a bearing failure nor a flat / blowout in that time. I have not carried a spare for 30 years either, but rather I chose to spend that money keeping my tires current and at the highest Load Range. That is my practical experience.

You have taken the correct step in my view by going to a Load Range D. Frankly, I would rather have the cheesiest Load Range E Brand X tires on my trailer than Michelin load Range C. However, I do run Michelin's on the 2 german cars and on my trusty Duramax (E). I was in the lumber business and I found by going to E range I stopped picking up nails on jobsites. Once again just my personal experience.

If you still encounter difficulties you could consider raising your trailer fender height and moving to a 15" or 16" load range E. I raised mine and moved my trailer axle aft to make my boat track behind me no matter how crazy I drove through the curves on I - 5 just North of Lake Shasta. West Coaster's know how crazy it can be through that stretch. Several times I have spent Sunday on the Sacto Delta and started for home in the dark for the 9 hour drive back to Bend. No time to get a blowout.

Good Luck. You have made a smooth move to eliminate your problem. Your Kumho's should work and if they don't then find a heavier rated tire and keep it inflated to the 65 PSI mark.

Long winded fellow that DontW8 guy. ;)

I agree that going to a 15" D ply would be great alternative - certainly many choices in a D (8 ply) rated 15" tire but as you know, that necessitates purchasing 15" wheels and raising the fenders (or going with a larger/wider fender). I felt that now that a D rated tire in 14" was finally available, I could save some $$ by staying with the original wheels. The Kumho is the only D rated 14" trailer specific tire on the market that I know of. Really happy to get the extra 1604# of increased carrying capacity. That equates to a +/- 21% increase. That's significant in my estimation.

I agree with all that has been a said about upgrading to a higher load level tire, BUT if the tire is rated for your weight range, it should hold up to it. I have had my share of tire separation issues in both Goodyear and Carlisle brands. I now have tires from Discout Tire with the road hazard warranty. Anything goes wrong before they wear out and they are replaced for free. I don't plan on buying any new tires because these will surly go bad before they wear out. Just need to keep a close eye on tread condition and usually notice the tread starting to go bad early enough to get it replaced before it fails.

I agree with all that has been a said about upgrading to a higher load level tire, BUT if the tire is rated for your weight range, it should hold up to it. I have had my share of tire separation issues in both Goodyear and Carlisle brands. I now have tires from Discout Tire with the road hazard warranty. Anything goes wrong before they wear out and they are replaced for free. I don't plan on buying any new tires because these will surly go bad before they wear out. Just need to keep a close eye on tread condition and usually notice the tread starting to go bad early enough to get it replaced before it fails.

I don't mind the expense of replacing tires after 3 years - that seems to be the consensus here. What I absolutely hate is breaking down (blowouts) on the freeway in the middle of bumf--kegypt! Losing two (2) tires on one trip (with one spare) REALLY sucks and puts a damper on the trip. Picture the anticipation of driving 6-7 hrs. to get to your favorite location and then having to lose 2-3 hrs changing tires - finding and buying replacement tires that you know are "off-brand". Just no fun! That's what I trying to eliminate. I guess for some here that only drive a short distance, a tire failure is really no big deal.

Our first double blow-out was driving back from Trinity Lake to SoCal (should have been a 10 hr drive) - turned into a 16 hr ordeal! I need my boating time to be as stress-free as possible. Hence regular maintenance on everything - tow vehicle, trailer & boat. I know that s---t happens, just trying to work on what I can control (to the the best of my ability) Hope I'm making sense - Being out on our Malibu is my drug-of-choice (not that a few margaritas and good wine doesn't enter into the equation either)! I want it to be fun!

I'm tire challenged, my trailer has Carlisle Ultra Sport ST/R ST 235 / 60 R15. I'm not seeing that number in this thread, what do I have ? They have been good tires but need replacing soon, where is the best place to buy new ?

Had Goodyear's on last trailer ... POS's for sure three blowouts.

235/60 R 15 is a car tire.

At tire rack you can see that it is rated for 1642 pounds each

It has a diameter of 26.1 " and a section width of 9.5"

Actually it may have been a travel trailer size meant to look sexier than the standard 225/75 R 15.

If you want to go to the heaviest duty you can do the 225 / 75 R 15 load range D for trailer service.

Like this: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?search=true&width=225%2F&ratio=75&diameter=15&performance=TS&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1

The load range C on top has a load capacity of 2150 pounds and weighs 28 pounds.

The better choice for $ 8 more is the D rated with a load capacity of 2540 pounds at 65 PSI.

It weighs 31 pounds because it has more cord material.

Rolling diameter is 28.3", section width is 8.8"

235/60 R 15 is a car tire.

At tire rack you can see that it is rated for 1642 pounds each

It has a diameter of 26.1 " and a section width of 9.5"

Actually it may have been a travel trailer size meant to look sexier than the standard 225/75 R 15.

If you want to go to the heaviest duty you can do the 225 / 75 R 15 load range D for trailer service.

Like this: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?search=true&width=225%2F&ratio=75&diameter=15&performance=TS&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1

The load range C on top has a load capacity of 2150 pounds and weighs 28 pounds.

The better choice for $ 8 more is the D rated with a load capacity of 2540 pounds at 65 PSI.

It weighs 31 pounds because it has more cord material.

Rolling diameter is 28.3", section width is 8.8"

Nope its a trailer tire, I have them on my trailer and they say trailer service only on them. Really good tires by the way.

06VLX,

I thought I remembered that as a sexier size for trailer tires.

That was the lead sentence in my second paragraph.

I have no clue if that size is 235/60 r 15 is still available as a trailer service tire.

EDIT: Carlisle still makes an 8 ply 235/60 r 15.

I do not find a load range or weight rating.

It should be good, though

If it is a trailer service only tire it will also have the Load Range and the weight capacity listed on the sidewall.

The tires on LS One 's trailer , he did not say trailer service only so they may have been replaced with a passenger car tire.

Edited by DONTW8

06VLX,

I thought I remembered that as a sexier size for trailer tires.

That was the lead sentence in my second paragraph.

I have no clue if that size is 235/60 r 15 is still available as a trailer service tire.

EDIT: Carlisle still makes an 8 ply 235/60 r 15.

I do not find a load range or weight rating.

It should be good, though

If it is a trailer service only tire it will also have the Load Range and the weight capacity listed on the sidewall.

The tires on LS One 's trailer , he did not say trailer service only so they may have been replaced with a passenger car tire.

Pretty sure its a d rating. Will report back later.

Pretty sure its a d rating. Will report back later.

yours are Load Range D. my 14" Carlisle tires are only C's. I'll replace them with the Kumho tires when these need taken off.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's time to replace my Goodyear Marathons (215/75 R14) after yet another blowout.

My typical towing: I tow, on average, 300 miles each way and total about 2500-3000 miles per year. Running on the freeway at about 60 - 65mph (sometimes a little more...). Temps in summer 100+ degrees outside.

The previous set of Marathons blew out during the 3rd year. Blew two (2) tires on one trip. Had fender damage and got Goodyear to replace all 4 tires and the fender.

Last summer (again the 3rd year on the next set of Marathon's) had a blowout in similar conditions. Time to switch gears/brands!

Putting on a set of Kumho 857 radial trailer tires today. The specs are as follows:

Goodyear Marathon: 215/75R14 "C" rating Max Load 1870# @ 50psi. Section Width 8.5" Diameter 26.7" Tire Rack price $108

Kumho 857: 205/75R14 "D" rating Max Load 2271# @ 65psi Section Width 8.2" Diameter 27.0" Tire Rack price $120

Will report back after first trip (July 4th weekend).

Update: Towed +/- 600 miles (first trip with the new tires) +/- 60- 65 mph, temps in the upper 90's ~ Trailer tracked straight behind the truck. No bouncing - Tires did not seem to be hot when we stopped for gas - everything seemed great.

Since we're on the topic. I had two blowouts last weekend. I wasn't carrying a spare. I had a pair of Goodyear Marathons (315/75/R14's) - they were dated 2008. The first one lost the tread but didn't deflate. was lucky to find a tire shop open on Sunday in New Braunfels, TX (no small feat) and got a used Marathon to get us back on the road. Drove another fifty miles and BAM -- blew out the other tire on the same side (front one this time). I just unmounted the tire and drove home slowly the remaining 10 miles -- and then had a beer. Way too stressful. I replaced the blown tires with Carlisles and purchased one as a spare. No more towing for us without the spare! Lesson learned!

Since we're on the topic. I had two blowouts last weekend. I wasn't carrying a spare. I had a pair of Goodyear Marathons (315/75/R14's) - they were dated 2008. The first one lost the tread but didn't deflate. was lucky to find a tire shop open on Sunday in New Braunfels, TX (no small feat) and got a used Marathon to get us back on the road. Drove another fifty miles and BAM -- blew out the other tire on the same side (front one this time). I just unmounted the tire and drove home slowly the remaining 10 miles -- and then had a beer. Way too stressful. I replaced the blown tires with Carlisles and purchased one as a spare. No more towing for us without the spare! Lesson learned!

How fast are you going? Max speed for the Marathons is 65.

Had a tire start separating this last weekend on my way home from WOW, was able to drive 50MPH for 80 miles with out a problem. The tire's are about 8 yrs old and had my first blow out last yr.

Just ordered the Kumho 205R 85 14 from Tire Rack and they will be showing up in one day. I had read most of the post and talked to many of my tires dealers from work and Kumho was the only Radial tire with range D available. I believe the speed rating is Q 99 MPH, not that I'll go that fast but with the extra 1600 load ability and speed rating, these tires should last me tell I sell/trade up. :clap: