Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got a Go Pro

Levi900RR

So I read a bunch of threads about Go-Pro cameras but still have some questions

. I got one yesterday and I was wondering. Has anyone used a flat adhesive mount on a wake or surf board? That 3M two sidded tape is pretty insane. Im not super keen on the surf mount that they have, the disk that you stick to the board is huge.

Also has anyone come up with a good floatation device?

Hope to post up some vids soon :rockon:

Edited by Levi900RR
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Levi900RR

• shawndoggy

• Violentj34

• TheHardWay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've used the sticky mounts a bunch on snowboards. So not directly what you are asking, but sorta kinda close enough. From that experience, I would not mount the camera to the board that way for a couple of reasons. First the shot -- wakeboards aren't long enough to get you in the shot.... you'd just see a whole bunch of leg. Second, the adhesive tape is super strong till it gives, but when it gives it does so catastrophically. I've had a very hard time getting the mounts to stay on on a snowboard. I very much doubt that one would stay on on a wakeboard... as soon as you hit it will rip it off. The surf mount has a lot more surface area for a reason... more sticky tape. And it will still come off on my snowboard.

There was a vendor on wakeworld that makes a float for $15 or so. Personally, I leash the camera when in the water. They don't float on their own.

What I want to try is mounting the camera to the handle with a bike handlebar mount. I thing that could look pretty cool.

I've used the suction cup mount to the transom while surfing. This worked very well, just make sure you don't get the rope tangled up when you throw it back in.

As for riding I've only used the chest mount on the wakeboard and suction cup to a surf board. Chest mount was an interesting shot, very stable too. The suction cup on the board was too close to the rider.

I have seen the camera broken off a surf board with the sticky mounts. The rope hit the camera and broke the fingers in the mount. The sticky pad, bolt, and nut were still attached to the board but no camera.

After having to replace mine when it was knocked off ocean surfing and seeing the incident above I've been trying to figure out a float system. I have the LCD backpack so all the avalibe floats are not really reasonable. Two key chain floats are more than enough to float the camera and LCD. However I have to lightly tape them to something so they don't bounce into the shot.

How bout one of these?

I figured the sticky wouldnt work on the board. I'm thinking the best surf shot will be from the transom of the boat.

What do you tie your "leash" to? I don't see a hole in the case...

A buddy of mine just spent months teaching surf & SUP in Hawaii over the winter..... and using the heck out of the GoPro cameras to sell videos. THey came up with the GoFloatIt.... http://www.gofloatit.com/

You may have already run into this. But it's a mount I made for the nose of a SkySki to get some video of the AirSanta run last Christmas. Obviously it doesn't work on a wakeboard but it might give you some ideas. I can imagine using the fin bolts on either end would work pretty easily.

gopromount1.jpg

I've tried mounting the camera to the transom of the boat & if your rope is more than about 10' or 15' long, then the rider is WAY too far away.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

How bout one of these?

I figured the sticky wouldnt work on the board. I'm thinking the best surf shot will be from the transom of the boat.

I use a snowboard leash and loop it around the bottom of the case where the mount connects. if the whole bottom of the case broke off the leash would be ineffective.

How bout one of these?

I figured the sticky wouldn't work on the board. I'm thinking the best surf shot will be from the transom of the boat.

Why not just attach the leash to the string that comes on the waterproof case? It is wrapped around the bar in the hinge.

I've seen those "jackets" online but haven't seen one in person. It says it fits over the LCD if you have it as well. Although I think it covers the LCD which kind of defeats the purpose of the LCD.

Why not just attach the leash to the string that comes on the waterproof case? It is wrapped around the bar in the hinge.

I've seen those "jackets" online but haven't seen one in person. It says it fits over the LCD if you have it as well. Although I think it covers the LCD which kind of defeats the purpose of the LCD.

I'll have to check my box again, I didn't see a string in there...

I may scope out the jacket or the Go float. I don't think I'll get the LCD just cause I typically have a laptop on the boat anyway... :crazy:

I haven't seen or tried the LCD yet, but have found I don't need it as much as I thought at first. I take tons of stills with it, don't bother to review them till later, just take tons. And I shoot video for as long as possible. The camera has an LED & an audible beep on it that I can see/hear fine, even on the water with my helmet on. Then I review later.

I haven't tried the GoFloatit yet. But it seems like it wouldn't work very well with the chest strap. I find that I really like the shot the chest strap gives, much more stable than the helmet mount as my chest is more stable than my head. But if the GoGloatit is on the back of the case, it could be tough to get the camera to to the right angle. Instead I put a Surftech EZ Plug on the back of mine. Then I can put a zip tie thru it, piece of string, bungee, whatever. Or nothing at all.

ezPlug.jpg

I just got one also. I got a chest mount but have not tried it yet. I was going to check flotation and see it must not float so I will need to address this also.

I shot some ATV riding up north but nothing special yet. It was a early B-day from Mom and Bro. Want me to shoot water ski outings.

I use the LCD mainly to get the angle right on the camera then shut it off to save battery.

After getting two days worth of worthless helmet mount snowboard footage this winter I decided to fix that. Some mounts are much easier to get the angle right some not so much. I think helmet mount footage has my number.

Its not boat footage but I used the Go Pro for the first time this weekend. The video is kinda crappy quality on YouTube cause I think I compressed it too much...

Edited by Levi900RR

Its not boat footage but I used the Go Pro for the first time this weekend. The video is kinda crappy quality on YouTube cause I think I compressed it too much...

I use the flat sticky mounts on our helmets visor and they stick very well, never had one come loose with allot of time on them, what did you use on your helmet? There are a bunch of options for floats http://www.gofloatit.com/index.html you could always try having a small cord going from camera to another flat mount for a tether, at least you will have a chance to save it that way, may be an option?

PS. Ouch!!

Edited by mainekneeboarder

I use the flat sticky mounts on our helmets visor and they stick very well, never had one come loose with allot of time on them, what did you use on your helmet? There are a bunch of options for floats http://www.gofloatit.com/index.html you could always try having a small cord going from camera to another flat mount for a tether, at least you will have a chance to save it that way, may be an option?

PS. Ouch!!

I used the curved sticky mount on the top of my helmet, seems to work great.

I am going out on the boat tonight and I'm planning on putting a flat sticky mount on the transom on the surf side. I'm going to make a zip tie "leash" and hook it to the transom loop. I'll try and get some footage edited and posted soon.

PS, good thing about riding mini bikes... mini bikes = mini crashes! :crazy:

I am going out on the boat tonight and I'm planning on putting a flat sticky mount on the transom on the surf side. I'm going to make a zip tie "leash" and hook it to the transom loop. I'll try and get some footage edited and posted soon.

the suction cup mount works great for that location.

To get the best "stick" warm up the sticky mount with a blow drier first, and then give it at least 12 hours to cure once you've stuck it on.

Edited by shawndoggy

I thought they looked small when you was riding then when you crashed could tell for sure. I'd still be on my head in 5 ft, I'm used to four wheels under me! :biggrin:

Edited by mainekneeboarder

the suction cup mount works great for that location.

To get the best "stick" warm up the sticky mount with a blow drier first, and then give it at least 12 hours to cure once you've stuck it on.

I gotta get that Suction cup mount, that and the chest strap are on my list. For now I'll prep the Gel Coat with DX330 and use the sticky. That 3M tape is pretty insane and the zip tie leash will be a good insurance policy...

I thought they looked small when you was riding then when you crashed could tell for sure. I'd still be on my head in 5 ft, I'm used to four wheels under me! :biggrin:

Yeah, me and a bunch of friends tradded our real MotoX bikes in for air cooled 125cc trail bikes. Most of them are modded out now. Mine has KX100 suspension valved and sprung for my weight and a punched out 150cc with a hot cam and Pro Circuit pipe. They are a blast!

I'll check out your vid tonight when I'm not at work... Dang those Proxy servers...

Nice!! That makes me REALLY miss my CRF 450 :(

the thing about the sticky tape... it does seem like it gives insane grip, but it also tends to fail all at once. Once it pops, it's done, it won't let go gradually.

Nice!! That makes me REALLY miss my CRF 450 :(

Get a little bike man... it's the best thing ever. If you can get some buddies to do it with you and you can bang bars with them you will be in heaven and no one will get too hurt. :rockon:

the thing about the sticky tape... it does seem like it gives insane grip, but it also tends to fail all at once. Once it pops, it's done, it won't let go gradually.

That is true... When you use the suction cup mount do you have a saftey strap in case it lets go?

Get a little bike man... it's the best thing ever. If you can get some buddies to do it with you and you can bang bars with them you will be in heaven and no one will get too hurt. :rockon:

We (buddies and I) have been discussing that very thing. Problem is convincing the CFO that I need another bike, particularly in light of the new to me Bu. I'm hoping that the new child we cooked up is a boy so I have a "reasonable" excuse to get another bike. :biggrin:

A good friend has a track similar to the one in your video and I have not been on it in 2 years.

That is true... When you use the suction cup mount do you have a saftey strap in case it lets go?

yes... my same snowboard leash contraption. I just leash it to the d ring on the transom.

yes... my same snowboard leash contraption. I just leash it to the d ring on the transom.

Thats a great idea, Ill steal the leash off my snowboard, prolly be better than a few zip ties :thumbup:

We (buddies and I) have been discussing that very thing. Problem is convincing the CFO that I need another bike, particularly in light of the new to me Bu. I'm hoping that the new child we cooked up is a boy so I have a "reasonable" excuse to get another bike. :biggrin:

A good friend has a track similar to the one in your video and I have not been on it in 2 years.

A clapped out DRZ / KLX / TTR 125 can be found for less than $1000. Troll e-bay for suspension off a motoX bike and you'll have less than 1500 into a little thumper.

If you end up doing it let me know. If you get a DRZ/KLX I have a ton of info for you.

PS, I have a little girl and one of her first phrases was "Daddy sit down, momocycle!"