Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how tight on underwater gear bolts

I'm about to put a new strut on my response. How tight do you guys tighten the bolts? Like when bolting together wood, or tighter?

While we're at it... any idea how you can hit something at speed and only bend the strut? The skegs are unmarred, prop is untouched, the shaft is strait, but the strut is bent a good inch.

I'm about to put a new strut on my response. How tight do you guys tighten the bolts? Like when bolting together wood, or tighter?

While we're at it... any idea how you can hit something at speed and only bend the strut? The skegs are unmarred, prop is untouched, the shaft is strait, but the strut is bent a good inch.

Did you have a machine shop check the shaft? Take it to a lathe and have it checked for runout. Even 0.003" is outside of tolerance.

Did you have a machine shop check the shaft? Take it to a lathe and have it checked for runout. Even 0.003" is outside of tolerance.

Nah. I taped a pencil to the rotor and got the tip close to the center dimple on the shaft. Had a buddy turn the shaft at the coupler. It's probably not under 3 thousands, but it certainly isn't over half a mm. I'm going to chance it...

I appreciate the thought all the same though.

Sounds like you were grazed by a UFO death ray.

Nah. I taped a pencil to the rotor and got the tip close to the center dimple on the shaft. Had a buddy turn the shaft at the coupler. It's probably not under 3 thousands, but it certainly isn't over half a mm. I'm going to chance it...

I appreciate the thought all the same though.

Dude, get that shaft checked out by a machine shop, you may not notice it now but you may notice a much more expensive transmission rebuild later if that thing is vibrating. 0.5 mm at 5000 RPM's is not a good thing.

If its not bad a shop can straighten it out for short money.

Dude, get that shaft checked out by a machine shop, you may not notice it now but you may notice a much more expensive transmission rebuild later if that thing is vibrating. 0.5 mm at 5000 RPM's is not a good thing.

If its not bad a shop can straighten it out for short money.

:plus1: That shaft needs to be perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are right. There is some vibration... So, do you guys have a machine shop recommendation for the Dallas area?

I called Waterski America, and they recommended against repairing the drive shaft.

You guys are right. There is some vibration... So, do you guys have a machine shop recommendation for the Dallas area?

I called Waterski America, and they recommended against repairing the drive shaft.

I would agree with Waterski America. Buy a new shaft. www.skidim.com or www.elberts.com can fix you up. You want the shaft fixed right or will damage your tranny over time.

I'd see if a shop can straighten it out, why drop $350 or so for a new shaft if you can have one fixed for much less.

A lot of prop shops also provide this service.

-Chris

I'd see if a shop can straighten it out, why drop $350 or so for a new shaft if you can have one fixed for much less.

A lot of prop shops also provide this service.

-Chris

I'm with you on this. How do I find a machine shop with this capability in Dallas? Is there like a subset of machinists I shoudl be looking for? Is there a certain piece of equipment they will use that I can add to my quote requests? I've called a couple I found on the web, but I mostly get a "huh?"

- Waterski America was not helpful.

- James Propeller doesn't do it.

Edited by flapjack

I'm with you on this. How do I find a machine shop with this capability in Dallas? Is there like a subset of machinists I shoudl be looking for? Is there a certain piece of equipment they will use that I can add to my quote requests? I've called a couple I found on the web, but I mostly get a "huh?"

- Waterski America was not helpful.

- James Propeller doesn't do it.

ask your dealer where they send props for refurbs. some of those shops have capability.

http://www.nomadmarine.com/

I used them to straighten a rudder. They are a capable machine shop, on Eagle Mountain Lake

I took mine to a local fab shop. They put it on a lathe to find the runout and where the bend was and in what direction. They then used a press to make the adjustments.