Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Move to Nashville

smeagol

In a couple of weeks, I will be moving my family and my Bu from Atlanta to Nashville. We will be living south of the city (just over the Williamson Co line) and will be boating on Percy Priest (I guess). We have historically kept our bu on a lift, but in Nashville, we won't have a house/dock-on-the-lake option. I have a few questions for those of you that know about the Nashville boating scene.

Are there recommended Malibu dealers/service shops?

If we keep our VLX on a lift at a marina, which marina is recommended? What should I expect to pay in slip rental fees?

If we keep the VLX in dry storage, are there recommended storage facilities? How much should I expect to pay for storage in this case?

Thanks for any help you can give...

Derek

Welcome to the area, I'm up in Hendersonville by Old Hickory. Don't have any suggestions but would say that Percy Priest is a nice clear water lake so you should have a blast. Will have to see what RX's you get out of here as I usually like to head out to Center Hill for a day, Percy would be closer.

Currently at Drakes Creek for a lift/storage spot for an Axis A22 is 240 a month which includes splashing the boat as often as you want.

Thanks for the info. One more question... will I be paying property tax on the boat? I can only find a requirement to register the boat which will run me about $25/year? How about the trailer?

No property taxes collected by the state on your boat in TN, there may be local or municipal taxes but none where I live. Tennessee is very tax friendly, and depends mostly on consumer based taxes via sales taxes. Nashville is a great town, lots of things to offer!

Center hill is a very nice lake, check it out when you can.

TNT is where you will want to go to get service work done north of Nashville in Hendersonville. Taxes- 9% on the first $1800.00 assesed value of the boat then 7% on values assesed over $1800.00. A graduated scale, go figure and I still can't sit down after paying in April! :rant: Your tags run by the year up to 3 years for ($71.00). No trailer tags to worry about, otherwise I guess not paying state income tax makes up for the luxury tax on toys and the 9.75% sale tax on everything else.

TNT is where you will want to go to get service work done north of Nashville in Hendersonville. Taxes- 9% on the first $1800.00 assesed value of the boat then 7% on values assesed over $1800.00. A graduated scale, go figure and I still can't sit down after paying in April! :rant: Your tags run by the year up to 3 years for ($71.00). No trailer tags to worry about, otherwise I guess not paying state income tax makes up for the luxury tax on toys and the 9.75% sale tax on everything else.

That sounds familiar, left my old boat registered in CO for 2 years instead of paying for the move. TNT is good, some of the shop guys can get sloppy but overall a good experience.

u pay this every year? or one time when u buy a boat?

Percy Priest is a good sized lake but you have to take your time and learn where you can't go. I use it nearly every weekend and would be happy to show you around after you get here. Give me a yell when you are ready. I will PM my # to you.

:welcome: To Nashville!

u pay this every year? or one time when u buy a boat?

One time when you first register the boat from what I know (which isn't much)

Thanks for the feedback. I've called around to a couple of marinas... both at Percy Priest and Center Hill. Many do not have lifts.

Here is a slightly radical idea... I was going to try and sell my lift on Lake Hartwell, but what if I moved my lift it and installed it at a Marina in Tennessee? Any tax lawyers out there know if I can count that as a legitimate moving expense?