Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Platform Seperating from Transom!

HELP! I just noticed that my teak platform has a lot of movement on it with weight. The metal bracket on the port side has stress cracks through the fiberglass and the brackets move away from the transom attachment points on top of both sides. Looks to be where it the brackets were sealed with caulking.

SDC11516.jpg

SDC11518.jpg

I am guessing that the solution would be to put some sort of bracing behind the fiberglass as extra support, which I personally am not capable of doing correctly.

Question 1 How dangerous is my situation?

Question 2 Does anyone know who I could contact to get this fixed correctly, decently priced, and more importantly quickly?

I'm SC/NC Charlotte area.

Since your boat is a 91 there is a possibility that the transom has plywood in it and it is rotten, if you tighten the bolts does the transom crush? I would not use it as is. You can put a temporary steel plate on the inside of the transom and bolt thru it but this would be a bandaid fix. I am not familiar with that model year so I may be way off base. good luck.

The quick fix will be to brace it from the inside either with steel or a piece of treated wood. That will get you through the season. for the repair you will have to get the wood out of the boat and reglass the transom with either fresh wood or something similar. Unfortunately I am new to the Charlotte area and don't know any of the dealers or marinas.

Ok now that I have checked your boat. How many people were dancing or parting on the swim step? You may not have rot, you may have just overloaded it. You will still have to brace from the inside and seal out all moisture. if it stays wet it will rot.

Good luck

The quick fix will be to brace it from the inside either with steel or a piece of treated wood. That will get you through the season. for the repair you will have to get the wood out of the boat and reglass the transom with either fresh wood or something similar. Unfortunately I am new to the Charlotte area and don't know any of the dealers or marinas.

Ok now that I have checked your boat. How many people were dancing or parting on the swim step? You may not have rot, you may have just overloaded it. You will still have to brace from the inside and seal out all moisture. if it stays wet it will rot.

Good luck

I was sort of figuring that it was from too much weight!

Would filling the cracks with marine epoxy help anything?

I have to cut the floor out under the backseat to get behind those brackets?

This could be a quick fix, to keep things dry. Unfortunatly you have compromised the integrity of the transom, this will have to be addressed. Depending on how often you use your boat you might be able to make it to the end of the season with just sealing the area and limiting the number of people on the swim step to just 1 and no jumping/dancing/ect. For a longterm repair you will have to gain access to the transom to make a suitable repair. You can also at this point strengthen the transome so you might not have this problem again in the future.

Should not have to cut the floor. Remove yes, but not cut. There are some guys on here that have completely rebuilt older boats, you are going to need one of them to chim in on access to the transom from the inside. For me it would include taking the side pannells off then removeing everything aft of the motor box, including the gas tank. Not an easy task but doable without cutting the floor.

Good luck

So how many people were dancing on the platform? :whistle:

DAMN!!! This is sounding worse and worse. I need a quick fix, not a month long wait at the marina or a winter project now in the beginning of the season. Not to mention a bunch of money!

Boaters insurance will cover this if it comes off and the boat sinks, right?

Boaters insurance will cover this if it comes off and the boat sinks, right?

I have never heard of insurance covering "wear and tear" but it doesn't cost anything to ask. Have you tried tightening the bolts to see if they will tighten or spin? If they tighten up you may be good to go. If they spin then you know you have problems.

Could I overtighten them and cause more damage?

If tightening them causes damage then the swimstep was going to fall off once someone stepped on it anyway. :shocked:

I would put a temp SS plate on the inside of the transom to get you through the season, and then have some of the people that have sone transom rebuilds on the forum help you through the process.

CB

Those are bolts not lag screws. You need to have a wrench on the nut on the inside of the transom at the same time you are turning the bolt from the outside. Otherwise yes, it will just spin rather than tighten.

I had an 87 sunsetter and you should be able to hinge the rear seat forward and see the platform bracket bolts on the sides of the gas tank unless your tank is larger than mine was. I made an aluminum backing plate for the inside of my boat. The bottom line though is you probably have a rotten transom

You really need to look at this from the inside out to know what you are up against. I personally don't think you bolts have loosened, I think the inside washers are crushing in which indicates rot, if you tighten them, they might pull through with weight because the transom is starting to fail. A steel plate on the inside will get you through the season but will be a PITA to install.

You really need to look at this from the inside out to know what you are up against. I personally don't think you bolts have loosened, I think the inside washers are crushing in which indicates rot, if you tighten them, they might pull through with weight because the transom is starting to fail. A steel plate on the inside will get you through the season but will be a PITA to install.

:plus1: There is no real quick fix, spend a day with your Bu and get something on the inside to get you through the season! If you continue to use the boat as it is you may end up with a real problem on your hands.

wtf!!! This is retarded. Getting insurance today, making sure they cover a swim platform breaking off.

wtf!!! This is retarded. Getting insurance today, making sure they cover a swim platform breaking off.

Just think, when you have that baby opened up you can reinforce it and install a custom wedge!! :rockon:

If you are just now getting insurance, this problem is a pre-existing condition, one that you would need to bring to the attention of your insurance agent. Also, you might consider how your posts look from an insurance company's viewpoint.

Really not trying to be critical, but it is easy to get into big trouble with insurance claims.

Understood, thanks!!! With the insurance companies none will cover the boat if any claim involves wear and tear or deteriation then all coverage is excluded. BUT!!! I found one company that carries consequential/ensuing coverage. Which they tell me that if wear and tear causes damage that results in total loss they will cover the agreed value. I told them that I was concerned with my swim platform.

I am still focused on finding someone who can fix this asap, but just incase I wanted a back-up plan if something goes really wrong! Plus it's nice to insurance anyway.

Understood, thanks!!! With the insurance companies none will cover the boat if any claim involves wear and tear or deteriation then all coverage is excluded. BUT!!! I found one company that carries consequential/ensuing coverage. Which they tell me that if wear and tear causes damage that results in total loss they will cover the agreed value. I told them that I was concerned with my swim platform.

I am still focused on finding someone who can fix this asap, but just incase I wanted a back-up plan if something goes really wrong! Plus it's nice to insurance anyway.

Not trying to be pessimistic but I think you have a rather involved and or costly project on hand, be prepared to be w/o your boat for a while

I am going to go out on a limb here, but since it is a direct drive and there isnt pushing force on the transom, there is no wood 'in' the transom (as in sandwiched between fiberglass like an outboard). There may be wood backing for the platform brackets, but the transom itself, I believe is fiberglass like the rest of the hull...

Guess what I'll be checking tonite!

When I purchased my 91, the bolts were loose so I added large 'fender' washers and tightened them up.

Feel free to correct me, but I think the only wood was the flooring, stringers, seat/panel backs...

So I was able to access the bolts for the brackets holding on the swim platform. The port side is very weak, so I pulled the rectangular brackets off of the inside of both sides and went to get some metal. I got a sheet of 3/8" thick steel and cut 2 8" x 8" plates and drilled them to match. Filled the holes with silicone and used the new backing plates. This should last me to the end of the summer. Unless I see otherwise.

As for later, instead of replacing the whole transom which I been quoted around $2500, I am going to pull the fuel tank and have a piece of steel fabricated that covers the whole back section of the transom. 2 different marinas said that should be a permanent fix, because of the weight that would be required to pull that much surface area through the fiberglass would be insane.