Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got stuck on the water - 2011 247 WS Report

OK full report. Got stuck on the water last Satruday, had to be towed in by Mastecraft. I got pics of that abortion but lets not rub salt in the wound. I have the 2011, so it has Malivue and Malibu Touch Command. No boat keys, switches or anything like that... touch screen only. Understand that prior to this I had never had any issues, other than minor ballast issues---the issues ended up being connected.

We were out for hours surfing fri eve and sat AM...no issues. Then we spent all day at the sandbar Sat, like 6 hrs, and when it was time to leave. I punch in the code and everything turns blue (indication that you are good to go) BUT it still reads 0.0 volts up on the dash guage. THIS part is not normal. Usually as soon as you punch the code in, all your guages immediately register their readings. Not this time, 0.0 volts. Weird, as I know I didnt drain my batteries dead, all other electronics--radio/stereo, fan, MTC, Malivue, etc ect were working pefectly. I go to hit the blue engine icon to start--nothing.

I check the safety kill lanyard, under dash fuses, side panel pop out fuse panel--nothing. I restart the Malivue and MTC several times, restore to factory defaults. Check the Perko and the 80A breaker next to it. Turn the Perko to the Off position, let it sit, then restart. Always stays at the 0.0 volts. I start checking for this "master breaker" on the engine everyone talks about. Couldnt find it--the 6.0 LY96 doesnt have one! There is another small fuse box on the engine, but no master breaker. Had numerous wakeboat owners crawing over my boat to see if I missed something. yes the throttle was in neutral. We attached jumper packs to ensure it wasnt low batteries----still nothing. All electronics work great, volts read 0.0V and the blue engine icon does nothing when you push it. Spent about an hour trouble shooting, then gave up and got towed in by a Mastercraft.

So I swim it onto the trailer and pull it out. 4hrs each way to my dealer Sunday eve. I have a terrific dealer, Chessie Marine in Elkton MD. Early this week they get after it and discover the problem was not with the Malivue or MTC, but a mechanical issue with the under dash fuse box---NOT electrical, MTC software or any of that.

The problem was with the under dash fuse panels. Although the fuse fit securely in their slots, the fuse(s) were not making solid contact to close the circuit in their slots. I had checked the 7amp ingition fuse under dash while out on the water. I Pulled it out, checked it and put it back in firmly like you would expect on a new boat. It fit firmly in the slot, didnt wiggle nor was it loose. SO.... what I should have done is while re-inserting the ignition fuse, is have someone WATCH the guages and while either wiggling it back in, or pushing hard, the fuse would have made the proper contact and would have been able to start the engine. So the problem is the fuse box terminals all had to be tightened to hold the fuses more securely. Also when he checked the rest of the fuses, my RR ballast immediately came to life and started working---up to this it had been intermittent in working and not working. so between the 2 under dash fuse boxes, the RR ballast drain is on one fuse box and the ignition fuse is in the other fuse box further back.

SO FYI, MTC and Malivue folks, when your stuff starts acting wierd, pay close close attention to your underdash fluse boxes and how those fuses fit in there. Ensure you are familiar with both of your under dash fuse boxes, how to get to them, remove covers without breaking off those little cover clamps, be familiar with the little diagrams so you know what is what, the order of the circuits and where each are ahead of time. 100% would need a flashlight if it were to happen in anything less than bright daylight under the dash. Definitly some type of faulty design in those fuse holders not holding properly. My dealer said he had seen something like this 1 time before either on a 2010 or 2011.

Hopefully this helps someone avoid the a$$pain I went thru this weekend. Otherwise, my boat is back up and will be out on the water this weekend!

Ryan,glad to hear you got it fixed. I had the 10A mini starter fuse go out of the blue after I was just sitting for 2 hours, 2 weekends ago. I redoubled my trace and found the bad fuse in the port side block area fuse box, thus avoiding the "Tow Of Shame". It wouldn't have taken so long to diagnose the first time but I rotated the fuse box cover 180 degrees and pulled the wrong fuse. I looked for the master breaker (big red button type) as well, but no joy. I did find a silver fuse type box with a black reset button on top which I assume is the "master" as it shut down everything when I pulled it. BTW nice avatar, have a great summer. :thumbup:

In that little fuse box back on the 6.0L engine, there are approx 6-8 regular small amp chip fuses and 1 larger breaker type fuse---NOT a big master one, its maybe 20-30A maybe? very hard to access, way down low, almost at the tranny. I did give it an attempt to pull it out but was afraid to break it, there might be a screw holding it in, i donno. There is a tiny button on top of it which I assume is a reset botton, but it wasnt firm and it was loose in the slot, so that means it didnt trip the breaker was closed as it should be, so it didnt mess with it further.

Sounds like the same set up as mine, but you most likely have a few more fuses/relays as your boat is optioned better than mine. The silver box w/ the reset was inside of that black box, and I still haven't found the master reset if that is not it. Normally I would "read and follow all directions" last :whistle: to trouble shoot a problem but I turned to the good book first on this one. My owners manual says the big red button was inside of there, but it also references older boats so who knows. Please let me know if you find it. I PMd you about the 25/26th.

I sure hope so... I'd never have thought a faulty fuse box would get me like that, esp on a new boat...wife was pissed after convincing her to let me get this boat....like I said, I yanked that exact ignition fuse out, inspected it and jammed it back in firmly. I guess I should have wiggled it in the socket or bent the fuse spades offset slightly for the fuse holder to to get a better grab.

Now I know. If your engine wont turn over, and your volts read 0.0, dead give aways its that 7amp ignition fuse, furthest box away under the dash.

I sure hope so... I'd never have thought a faulty fuse box would get me like that, esp on a new boat...wife was pissed after convincing her to let me get this boat....like I said, I yanked that exact ignition fuse out, inspected it and jammed it back in firmly. I guess I should have wiggled it in the socket or bent the fuse spades offset slightly for the fuse holder to to get a better grab.

Now I know. If your engine wont turn over, and your volts read 0.0, dead give aways its that 7amp ignition fuse, furthest box away under the dash.

Wait till she sees your profile picture :biggrin:

She is IN the picture!

Now I see why you bought the 247, the VLX would definitely not be able to accomodate all those passengers! Nice avatar :rockon: , and glad you were able to get it repaired.... thanks for sharing, this is great information to know if any of us run into a problem like this on the water!

Great info - tks for passing it on - am learning a lot from these boards & the crew here! :thumbup:

Edited by NuBuGuy2011