Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RPM GUAGE

RPM GAUGE WORKED FINE LAST YEAR WHEN I PUT THE BOAT AWAY FOR THE WINTER. STARTED IT UP FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR TODAY AND THE RPM GAUGE IS READING 3700 AT AN IDLE.. I KNOW ITS IDLING AT 700 BECAUSE I USED MY SNAP ON TIMING LIGHT TO CHECK IT........... ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS?

*tachometer

yes the tach.

sorry about the caps, just a concrete finisher that never took a typing class

Edited by sgt1970-442

yes the tach.

sorry about the caps, just a concrete finisher that never took a typing class

It could be a couple things.

Did you check the back of the tach to make sure it is on the right number of cyls.

Not sure how it could have gotten switched but they usually hace 3 settings 4, 6 and 8 for number of cyls

If that is ok you may want to check your voltage regulator. Saw that goof up a tach reading once.

If all that is ok check that the connections are clean and tight.

About all i can think of at the moment

It could be a couple things.

Did you check the back of the tach to make sure it is on the right number of cyls.

Not sure how it could have gotten switched but they usually hace 3 settings 4, 6 and 8 for number of cyls

If that is ok you may want to check your voltage regulator. Saw that goof up a tach reading once.

If all that is ok check that the connections are clean and tight.

About all i can think of at the moment

Yup, pull that tach and move the switches back and forth several times. I'm guessing some corrosion is causing this. I had a similar problem with my 97 Echelon.

well, i still haven't been able to work on it but hopefully today. i'll let ya know what happens and thanks for the tips.

steve

worked on the boat today and when i started it up the tach worked fine.... must have just been winter sitting working it self out.

thanks for the replys