Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Footin' On Your Hands

NorCaliBu

So at a recent waterski club meeting we were discussing our upcoming July 4th Water Ski Show and what unique things we could incorporate. One of the guys used to be quite the barefooter and suggested that we do a hand-ski. His description; your foot goes in a toe-hold handle on a boom and you "foot" on your hands. Everyone else in the ski club was quick to come up with reasons why they couldn't be the one to do it. :unsure: I gotta get quicker at the excuse making. :lol:

So...anyone ever done it? How bad does the water go up your nose on the get-up? Exactly how hard is it? I'm pretty solid in the lats, traps, biceps, and triceps. Shoulders need a little more work. Any other muscle groups get pounded by this activity? Barefoot suit needed?

check it out on youtube.

Already did that. I was looking for some pointers and cautionary tips.

This is a family event, there will be no nekkid hand skiing. :crazy:

Really? No one has done this? :unsure: Well, I might have to be the first in the group. :biggrin:

The most important muscle group will be your biceps and the specific exercise will be 12oz curls, lots before and probably a few cool downs after as well :biggrin: Good Luck pal, we'll need some vid of this :thumbup:

• Like 1

So at a recent waterski club meeting we were discussing our upcoming July 4th Water Ski Show and what unique things we could incorporate. One of the guys used to be quite the barefooter and suggested that we do a hand-ski. His description; your foot goes in a toe-hold handle on a boom and you "foot" on your hands. Everyone else in the ski club was quick to come up with reasons why they couldn't be the one to do it. :unsure: I gotta get quicker at the excuse making. :lol:

So...anyone ever done it? How bad does the water go up your nose on the get-up? Exactly how hard is it? I'm pretty solid in the lats, traps, biceps, and triceps. Shoulders need a little more work. Any other muscle groups get pounded by this activity? Barefoot suit needed?

yep...I've done it. It's really not that hard. Couple key points.....ABSOLUTELY use a barefoot suit for the padding and floatation. Don't set the boom too high. You want the boom angle just slightly upwards from the side of the boat. Wrap the barefoot handle around the end of the boom several times until it's almost up to the toe strap. Put one foot into the toe strap and cross your free leg over the one in the toe strap. Once ready, turn over on your stomach and have the driver accelerate consistently but quickly (don't bury the throttle at start). Tip your head slightly back, and blow air out of your nose as the boat comes to speed. With your arms over your head and bent at the elbow slowly put downward pressure on the palms of your hands. As the boat reaches speed, pull your arms back towards your waist to a point this is slightly lower than your chest. Arms bent at the elbow

Smile...and enjoy the ride :rockon:

The most important muscle group will be your biceps and the specific exercise will be 12oz curls, lots before and probably a few cool downs after as well :biggrin: Good Luck pal, we'll need some vid of this :thumbup:

Actually, near as I can tell it's lats, traps, and tri's with a little bit of bicep (which is good because that's about all the bicep I got :lol: ). If it actually happens I'll definitely be getting it on video. :rockon:

yep...I've done it. It's really not that hard. Couple key points.....ABSOLUTELY use a barefoot suit for the padding and floatation. Don't set the boom too high. You want the boom angle just slightly upwards from the side of the boat. Wrap the barefoot handle around the end of the boom several times until it's almost up to the toe strap. Put one foot into the toe strap and cross your free leg over the one in the toe strap. Once ready, turn over on your stomach and have the driver accelerate consistently but quickly (don't bury the throttle at start). Tip your head slightly back, and blow air out of your nose as the boat comes to speed. With your arms over your head and bent at the elbow slowly put downward pressure on the palms of your hands. As the boat reaches speed, pull your arms back towards your waist to a point this is slightly lower than your chest. Arms bent at the elbow

Sweet. That's the description I was hoping for. Thanks. :thumbup:

martinarcher

Actually, near as I can tell it's lats, traps, and tri's with a little bit of bicep (which is good because that's about all the bicep I got :lol: ). If it actually happens I'll definitely be getting it on video. :rockon:

Nice!! Rockon.gif

I watched a guy do push ups off the water at 5:30 AM. He said "that was enough for the day" :thumbup: when he got back in the boat. Got to love it relaxing from then on......

BuFootin's explanation is the way to do it.

If you watch the middle section here, about 3:25, you'll see Danny LeClerc handskiing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlV9m81TYwc

If you watch here you'll see another friend, Scott Brownell, handskiing. This shows a good example of the start and form. The hard part is holding "back" on your arms to keep the water from washing out your hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW3QWZMa11s

Yes, it can be done. check it out on youtube. If you really want to give them a show, do it in your birthday suit :crazy:

Will the birthday suit idea keep the water from going up your nose??? :unsure:

Will the birthday suit idea keep the water from going up your nose??? :unsure:

Water up your nose will be the least of your worries ! :crazy:

I do it completely different...this way ^^^ sounds about as enjoyable as a bad back deep. I like the boom higher, regular 5' handle off the boom, just do a regular front deep or tumble up start, then put my foot in the toe hold and roll over to my chest (keeps my head above water the whole time and is plenty easy). When you plant your hands start near your waist and it's just a gentle push up (tris and pecs involved, no biceps fyi). The more speed you have the easier it is, just like footing.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's on the slate for next year. :( A couple weeks ago, while working with my 15 y.o. wrestler, he caught my pinky finger with his knee and caused a "boxer break" to the knuckle at the base of the finger. :cry: I had done it a few times and it really isn't all that difficult. Took a couple weeks off hoping the hand would heal enough and went out this morning to try it out. Owwwww!!!! No way I can go far enough on it to make a complete pass for the show.

Saw some video on YouTube of one footer using another as a 5' handle :rockon: Gonna have to put that in the mix too. :biggrin:

Edited by NorCaliBu
  • 1 year later...
If it [handskiing] actually happens I'll definitely be getting it on video. :rockon:

Well I was wrong about getting it on video. :( My cameraman is an idiot. He had the camera on before we started and then turned it off once we went. It was mounted on a tripod fixed to the pylon so he just pushed "rec" :Frustrated: and assumed it was recording.

Made the complete 40 second pass in front of the beach, the marina, and the park. Longest 40 seconds of my life. :lol:

The next day I could barely lift my arms...but the crowd cheered so it was totally worth it. I'm going to have to do it again so I can get some pics and video.

:rockon: