Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Packing Question

Can someone please let me know if I need 1/4 inch or 3/16 inch packing for my 2006 23 lsv V drive. I was planning on using the virtually drip less from ski dim.

Thanks

Rob

Can someone please let me know if I need 1/4 inch or 3/16 inch packing for my 2006 23 lsv V drive. I was planning on using the virtually drip less from ski dim.

Thanks

Rob

they will know...call them

Yes, that was my issue, ski dim is closed and the description is a little vague. If no one knows for sure I will wait until tomorrow to order the packing. Does anyone that has worked on v drives know if I need that special wrench? Will channel locks work?

You want 3/16" for your boat

The 1/4" is for a 1" shaft, our boats have 1 1/8" shafts so the thinner packing is the difference.

-Chris

Yes, that was my issue, ski dim is closed and the description is a little vague. If no one knows for sure I will wait until tomorrow to order the packing. Does anyone that has worked on v drives know if I need that special wrench? Will channel locks work?

plumbers wrenches will, though not ideal.

Channel locks will have a tendency to tear up the soft brass packing nuts. Not that it can't be done, but it might be tough to do it safely.

You should look thru this thread. Some good info on this subject: Finished Virtually Dripless Propshaft Repacking

it will tear it up for sure - get the wrenches and your knuckles will thank you. Mine took serious force to break loose, too.

i would recommend the picks that Bill listed in my post - that would have saved my fingers some wear n tear!

-- Mike

Great, thanks for all the info. I will order the 3/16 and get a set of picks and wrenchs to make the job as easy as it can be.

Thanks Again BU CREW!