Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu build quality

Fman

I wanted to get feedback on members with newer BUs and what there thoughts are on the build quality of there boats. Some other members on a different thread commented on how over the past few years build quality is dropping for Malibu. Ok, I have to cheer for the brand because I just invested a lot of money and faith in Malibu for there reputation of being great boats.

Nobody is going to hurt my feeling if they see issues, so don't hold back on my count!

After only using my VLX for 18 hours, so far I have been very pleased with my choice. I am converting from a different builder, so comparing the two I am noticing items Malibu has done that my old boat did not have. I am not seeing any quality issues at all...

Some of the items I really like are...

VLX body style, great looking with the cut outs

G3 tower - rock solid, extra board racks, great Bimini, great visibility, and head clearance to walk under

Vinyl - very durable, color options, three color choices

Snap out carpeting

Mali View and MTC

Use of space, good storage in ski lockers

Cooler location, not next to hot engine compartment

Seating layout

Playpen front bow

Rear transom seat to put boards on

Walk thru plank

Lockable ski lockers

Gelcoat graphics, color options

Solid swim platform, large

Stock wake is really nice, and very clean at slower towing speeds

Stowable table, great for sandwich making on the water

Solid grab handles throughout boat

100" beam width

Quad tank ballast, totally user friendly and customizeable

Power wedge

Some items I have had issues with...

Bolster seat does not go up high enough for my wife to drive without using a towel

Drivers seat gets hot, would be nice to have a breathable back support

Wake setter decals have been peeling off

No ignition backup if MTC or maliview takes a dump

These are a few items I like and dislike, I wanted to get some feedback from members on how they feel build quality is on there newer BUs, and give some examples of problems you see or items that you like.

Right there w/ ya Fman - 14hrs on our new ride but luv it so far - lotsa room & very nice ride ...

Similar initial cons right now are:

1. Have had to reset/cycle power to have touchscreen respond several times - concerned about start/operation if screen fails.

2. Wife needs booster seat for driver seat even w/ bolster up - seat height is not high enough to see over windshield.

3. Ballast tanks seem to fill/drain on their own sometimes while underway.

4. Factory RF stereo setup not very flexible for a high-end boat - no easy switchable controls between cabin & tower.

5. Wakesetter hull graphic peeling off.

... but loving it so far - while we get used to manuvering vs our former 21.5' I/O ! :whistle:

Edited by NuBuGuy2011

I am new to Malibu moving over from Supra and while I am still on the impressed side the only reservations about changing over from Supra seem to be the most of the problems I have had.

I talked in depth to everyone I could about the electonics and the touch screeens and the durability of them and at the time was told (from the dealer) they had only had one problem come back since they had come out. Well I pulled the trigger and after this past weekend just about every piece of electronics will have been repaired or replaced totally.

First the touch pad for starting went out and I could not crank or control anything on the pad - Simple fix of swapping pads as I am only about 30 minutes from my dealer and they sent someone out with a new pad before I could get good and asleep on the back of the boat and he swapped out there on the water.

Next the media could not be controlled by the Malivue and had to order a new part that took a week or so to get in.

Now as of this weekend the RF control pad went out and if the Malivue was not working I would not be able to control the stereo.

The LSV emblem on the back is raising up and getting to be dangerous to skin and bathing suits that get near and the dealer says maybe a rope caught it but I also noticed the M on Malibu on one side is beginning to do the same and I am 100% sure no rope would catch on this.

I am still happy with my BU buy and I would say it is mostly because of the way my dealer has handled everything but if they were not keeping me happy I wonder how I would feel?

NUBUGUY - (4) I had my dealer install a gain switch that I can control the level of the tower speakers even turning them completely off for late night rides. If you need the model or a picture of what they did let me know.

NUBUGUY - (4) I had my dealer install a gain switch that I can control the level of the tower speakers even turning them completely off for late night rides. If you need the model or a picture of what they did let me know.

tks movin - yes - am def looking at all options right now - tks

Go with a wet sounds WS420. The dealer can install and you can control the tower, sub and interior speakers. I have put this on all my boats and several others. Works great and wet sound can not be beat.

I put 310 hours on my 07 Vride and currently have 245 on my 09 Vride. Love every last detail about them. Both boats have been bulletproof for me......... except:

-- The quality of the vinyl seating surfaces. The vinyl itself is fine, its where the vinyl meets the bead/roping that's the issue. When I traded in my 07 I had 2 cushions coming apart at the seam. My 09 now has 2 cushions coming apart. What gives? I baby my boat. No flip-flops, shoes, or heavy/sharp gear has EVER touched my seats (and I detail the crap outta my boats). Anyway, seems like these seams should be more durable.

--The rubber gaskets on the board racks. I've had trouble with these on both boats. I recently had to pull all these rubber gaskets out, clean them and the groove where they seat, and painstakingly apply contact cement to re-adhere them (it's a pain because whatever adhesive you use makes a mess unless you are very, very careful). Shouldn't racks that cost this much hold up a bit better after only 2 seasons?

Anyway, that's all I've got after 555 hours in 4 seasons......... not too bad, right?

Edited by bs001

I have a 2009 VLX and we are on our third season with it and the only complaints I have with it so far are:

1. The cruise control totally sucked until I switch the stupid paddle wheel speedometer out for a gps speedometer.

2. The water temp gauge isn't even close and there is no way to adjust it.

3. The radio control on the transom has been replaced three times.

4. The windshield had to be replaced because the strut with the air holes split.

5. Three gelcoat cracks from screw holes for the vents.

6. Dash board had to be replaced due to bubbles. (And my boat does not set outside in the sun when stored)

7. My dripless shaft seal fused itself to the shaft due to the boat being towed behind a houseboat on the first day of our Powell trip (wasn't a happy camper towing around our year old Malibu for a week)

Now don't get me wrong, most of these are small and/or not directly Malibu's fault and I still absolutely love both of my BU's, but when we pay what we are paying for these boats I would expect less problems.

My one pet peeve is that there is not a clock anywhere in the Maliview!! I know, I know, there is one in the radio, but it sucks!

I have had absolutely zero problems with my 2000 Response that has 650 hours on it that we bought new in 1999, we still have it and still love it.

Terry

I have a 2009 VLX and we are on our third season with it and the only complaints I have with it so far are:

1. The cruise control totally sucked until I switch the stupid paddle wheel speedometer out for a gps speedometer.

2. The water temp gauge isn't even close and there is no way to adjust it.

3. The radio control on the transom has been replaced three times.

4. The windshield had to be replaced because the strut with the air holes split.

5. Three gelcoat cracks from screw holes for the vents.

6. Dash board had to be replaced due to bubbles. (And my boat does not set outside in the sun when stored)

7. My dripless shaft seal fused itself to the shaft due to the boat being towed behind a houseboat on the first day of our Powell trip (wasn't a happy camper towing around our year old Malibu for a week)

Now don't get me wrong, most of these are small and/or not directly Malibu's fault and I still absolutely love both of my BU's, but when we pay what we are paying for these boats I would expect less problems.

My one pet peeve is that there is not a clock anywhere in the Maliview!! I know, I know, there is one in the radio, but it sucks!

I have had absolutely zero problems with my 2000 Response that has 650 hours on it that we bought new in 1999, we still have it and still love it.

Terry

That is interesting, any word on how long it took to "fuse" while towing? Doesn't sound like warranty, was it warrantied?

My wife would like to bring up a design problem in the 2011 23 LSV.......... where she rides across from me in the corner there is not one easily accessible cup holder for her from that corner. my old boat had a cup holder in the corner of the walk thru she used regularly. The 4 cups holders halfway down the bench are a slide and stretch away. I just tell her I have two by me if she wants to drive......

Just her observation

All I can say, having an older boat, is that the quality of it compared to others of it's era is pretty good. About the new boats, I have no comment other than this. If I was in the market for a new boat, I know exactly what I would get but I would not want all the touch screen stuff. Give me some traditional gauges and an ignition and I'd be good to go. I love the technology but am not sure it's worth the risk of failure on the water. These boats give us enough to contend with let alone an electronic gremlin somewhere that you can't find without dealer assistance. JMHO.

Have had my 247 for a few months. More issues than I'd like to have seen but dealer has been good so far in addressing them.

1. Maliview replaced after original screen locked up, was slow to respond and eventually didn't take ignition code

2. Rear swim platform pad has 2 large bubbles

3. Throttle knob spontaneously exploded (cheap plastic ball on top with spring loaded button); must have been overtightened or something

4. Squeak in dash around instrument cluster.

5. Textured decal peeling in one spot

6. Engine overheat warning (once and has not repeated)

7. Front ballast tank leak (appears it was mounted too far rearward and pressure against carpet divider panel between tank area and rest of interior caused crack at fill/drain point)

8. Scuff mark on interior panel at center of seat near engine compartment around where mux switches go that would not come off (probably happened after leaving factory)

9. Squeak from center windshield section when closed and latched while boat is in motion - think this is from hull flexing and sides of windshield moving (doesn't do it if not latched secure)

10. Loose bolts on driver's seat? Seat wiggles even when locked down with controls.

11. Think I may have experienced spontaneous fill of ballast tank similar to other poster but it could have been wacko touch screen or me just not knowing how things work.

12. Some sort of low level vibration in drivetrain that almost mainfests itself as a slight hum in hull while underway. Somewhat intermittent. Maybe just nature of vdrive (my first so I don't know) or maybe something out of alignment or something

Other things that are not defects that I'd still like to see changed:

1. Higher flip up bolster for driver seat - I'm 6'4" and I'd still like to have it higher

2. Why are all or most seat bottoms not on hinges vs. only 2 (at least all that could be)?

3. You call that a cooler? It's not even insulated. Jeez, how much could it cost for a better insert.

4. How about some sort of mesh rubber pad for bottom of storage areas to cushion against non-skid fiberglass and keep things from sliding around inside

5. How about some sort of wire safety latch for the G3 knobs similar to gas caps.

6. Anchor option with good dedicated storage (ie even if just plastic/rubber mold or something to secure it in existing below seat compartments)

7. Sometimes seems like some of seats don't always sit/fit right every time when you put them back down after removing (especially one just in front of glove box). Is there better way to ensure proper positioning when putting seats back.

8. Better dedicated trash recepticle. How about moving batteries a little and seeing if something could be put in to access in bow pass through (ie can inside storage but with access to throw things without removing seats).

9. Little thing but how about factory fire extinguisher mounted properly for easy access (perhaps in recessed panel somewhere) or built in fire suppression option

10. Could upper hull design be improved to reduce overall rigidity Seems like upper hull done in may pieces - floor, walls, other compartment panels. Maybe my squeaky windshield is not from hull flex but seems like it is. Do something design-wise to improve rigidity. Maybe one piece upper hull.

That is interesting, any word on how long it took to "fuse" while towing? Doesn't sound like warranty, was it warrantied?

All I can say is the first year of towing we had no problems, but maybe did damage to it. Last year (the second year) we had been towing for about three hours and noticed that the bilge was going full blast. We stopped and checked the boat and the rubber boot that seals the shaft had come off and water was just pouring in. Figured out that the seal was fused to the shaft, had to plug the hose that normally came from the engine because it got ripped in two, clamped the rubber boot back on (thank god it didn't tear the boot in two) and put a wrench in place on the coupler bolt to keep the prop from spinning. It was covered under warranty and when I took my boat in to the dealer there was another boat there that had just come from Powell with the same exact problem. They had to cut the seal in two to get it off of the shaft.

Terry

40 HRs and loving it!!, Did have to replace the entire fuse box, 22 Hr;s ( Warranty ) other then that Great so far, My Boat is not as Smart as some of the other, No mali view, or MTC.. But you Know what they say...Ignorance is Bliss..Less to go wrong, I Hope.. as far as things I don't like,

Bolster seat could be higher, Or My Booty could be larger..

Wind divider needs a stop at the bottom

I would like more hinged seat cushions, ( Hate moving them all over the boat to load stuff )

I saw on a Supreme boat this last week and step coming out from the trailer just to the side of the swim platform, It was so easy to get into the boat while it's on the trailer...

Not crazy about the G3 knobs , They are always coming loose..

Love's...

The way the boat look's , It's fun to look at the reaction when I pass someone or they pass me, thumbs up, hang loose, big smiles, It just looks Mean!!

Performance...you all know..

So much room even with Lot's of peeps' It's a Big 21.75

Stereo system!!! Oh wait that was Exile... Exile did that. Had to plug them again...

Just flat out love this boat!

Edited by Wakesetter67

All I can say is the first year of towing we had no problems, but maybe did damage to it. Last year (the second year) we had been towing for about three hours and noticed that the bilge was going full blast. We stopped and checked the boat and the rubber boot that seals the shaft had come off and water was just pouring in. Figured out that the seal was fused to the shaft, had to plug the hose that normally came from the engine because it got ripped in two, clamped the rubber boot back on (thank god it didn't tear the boot in two) and put a wrench in place on the coupler bolt to keep the prop from spinning. It was covered under warranty and when I took my boat in to the dealer there was another boat there that had just come from Powell with the same exact problem. They had to cut the seal in two to get it off of the shaft.

Terry

thanks for sharing that, i had no idea that it is a bad idea to tow a boat with a water cooled shaft seal. i don't recall seeing that in the manual.

thanks for sharing that, i had no idea that it is a bad idea to tow a boat with a water cooled shaft seal. i don't recall seeing that in the manual.

Ditto on the towing, Headed down to shasta next month, Will pilot my boat and not tow...

115 hours on my 08 V-ride - nothing major- had a few issues with the chrome- nothing with the performance - Malibu replaced some chrome under warranty - trailer - not so much... two issues - brakes and the oil bath hubs, still dealing with the hubs other than that, the boat has performed fantastic and we enjoy it every chance we get...