Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is there any way to Recalibrate the lake water temp Sensor

I know this is trivial, But My Lake water temp gauge is way off, This week river temps were low 50 and my gauge said 64 ... where would I find this temp Sensor.

Warranty! Get the dealer to replace the sensor or you can do it yourself.

Guess I thought it was so small why bother them, Do you know where it is located?

You should try replacing the paddlewheel, this reads the lake tempeture and this correct your issue. If it does not correct the problem then issue is going to be inside the guage itself!

Warranty it for sure if you cant calibrate it. As much as these boats cost everything better work no matter how small.

Its a brand new boat i find it ridiculous anything has an issue already :crazy:

By the way the paddlewheel is going to be located under the rear center seat. If you look on the floor you will see a large black plastic piece with a giant arrow on it. That is your paddlewheel that reads lake temp and speed.

Also, this is covered under warranty assuming your warranty has not expired yet. Warranty is 3 years from the date of purchase.It is a pain to have something on your boat not working, but remember this is a man made product and just like any thing we own , its going to have problems...The good thing is this a super easy fix if it is the paddlwheel or even the gauge and should take you or the dealership 10 minutes to fix!

By the way the paddlewheel is going to be located under the rear center seat. If you look on the floor you will see a large black plastic piece with a giant arrow on it. That is your paddlewheel that reads lake temp and speed.

Also, this is covered under warranty assuming your warranty has not expired yet. Warranty is 3 years from the date of purchase.It is a pain to have something on your boat not working, but remember this is a man made product and just like any thing we own , its going to have problems...The good thing is this a super easy fix if it is the paddlwheel or even the gauge and should take you or the dealership 10 minutes to fix!

Goodluck! My 09 is the same way, reads 7 degrees high. I was always told it was in the paddle wheel as well. Three paddle wheels later trying to fix the surging cruise control no change. When I installed my GPS speedometer to fix the cruise the temp sensor wires are identified and I soon discovered that my temp sensor is actually in my depth gauge transducer. If I unplug my paddle wheel while out of the water, water temp still reads 7 degrees higher then ambient air temp, if I unplug my depth transducer water temp goes to 32 degrees. If I look at the top of my transducer it is labeled that it also has water temp sensor.

Terry

Goodluck! My 09 is the same way, reads 7 degrees high. I was always told it was in the paddle wheel as well. Three paddle wheels later trying to fix the surging cruise control no change. When I installed my GPS speedometer to fix the cruise the temp sensor wires are identified and I soon discovered that my temp sensor is actually in my depth gauge transducer. If I unplug my paddle wheel while out of the water, water temp still reads 7 degrees higher then ambient air temp, if I unplug my depth transducer water temp goes to 32 degrees. If I look at the top of my transducer it is labeled that it also has water temp sensor.

Terry

Sounds like a big pain in the butt ski, Besides it was so much easier to convince my kids the water was warm, I think I will leave it as is..LOL If the mind is convinced the water is warm, Then the body will soon follow...

I've never verified mine, but know it reads high (temperature wise). I just always thought it was measuring the temp at the very surface of the water and it was just colder below the surface when I jumped in. It's only a guess on the temperature. If the difference in temperature was going to stop me from skiing it would be a bigger deal to me.

Water temp is sensed by the depth sounder transducer if you have the depth finder, otherwise, it's sensed by the paddlewheel if no depth sounder.

I don't know why they can't get this right... Mine is consistently 4 degrees high.... Not bad I guess, but there's no reason for it. I always have passengers look at it and comment on the water temp, then I need to correct them and tell them it reads 4 degrees high. It doesn't look good for Malibu... They were trying to tell me it was due to being in a warm engine compartment, but it still reads consistently high even before the engine is warmed up, so I call BS on that.

For the record, the temperature on my last boat, with Perfect Pass, which read the temp through the exact same paddlewheel that is used on the Precision Speed control, was dead on. You would think they could pull the signal from that and get it right.

I have the depth gauge, and I have confirmed that the temp is provided by the paddlewheel. I know this because I recently installed the Nautic Laugic NL4 GPS upgrade, and when I disconnected the paddlewheel, I lost lake temp. When I plugged the paddlewheel connector into the NL4, lake temp was back!

I have the depth gauge, and I have confirmed that the temp is provided by the paddlewheel. I know this because I recently installed the Nautic Laugic NL4 GPS upgrade, and when I disconnected the paddlewheel, I lost lake temp. When I plugged the paddlewheel connector into the NL4, lake temp was back!

Well, I should have clarified- what I said applies to 2010s. I'm not sure about other years. This was straight from Malibu when I complained about the temp being off. I also had the speed surging problem with my speed control, and upgraded to Zero Off, so I still have the incorrect temp being read by the depth sounder.

Mine is somewhat optimistic too, but I sorta just see that as the boat trying to tell me to get my butt in the water and hold on to that handle!

Edited by shawndoggy
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting - trying to figure out an issue on mine, but sounds like I'm in a slightly different realm... I've got a 2005 VLX, and my lake temp pretty consistently reads in the 130 - 140 degree range.

• 2 months later...

Interesting - trying to figure out an issue on mine, but sounds like I'm in a slightly different realm... I've got a 2005 VLX, and my lake temp pretty consistently reads in the 130 - 140 degree range.

Mine too.

Guess I thought it was so small why bother them, Do you know where it is located?

its a thru hull on the bottom, next to the Vdrive/tranny, right next to the port ballast fill pump on the on the bottom hull on mine... I am pretty sure its labeled temp sensor or something to that effect...

On my '05 RLXI the owners manual simply states that the temperature sensors (both air and water) can not be recalibrated. Don't know about other models/years. It's only semi accurate when I first put the boat in the water anyway, after the engine warms up it throws the reading off higher. FWIW.

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

My temp was originally so close it was believeable. Now it consistently reads low 50's regardless of actual water temp. i have not fiddles around with connectiions or anything, but depth guage seems to still be working. The air temp sensor seems to be about right, taking into consideration where it is under the dash.

• 1 year later...

I have 2006 Malibu Response. The water temp was accurate until last week when the temp started reading 120-125. My digital panel and depth gauge went out 2 years ago. I replaced a motherboard once, but it only worked for one season then quit again so I just use the dial speedometer and tach. It's frustrating, but I live in Wisconsin and if I take the boat to a marina in the summer I likely won't get it back till fall. I'm disappointed in Malibu digital panel because it has never worked properly. I've had this boat 3 years. Bought it from a marina who did provide the mother board once, but like I said I couldn't take the boat to them.

• 6 years later...

I have an ‘04 Wakesetter.  The temp gauge worked well until the end of last season. Now it reads 110 when a thermometer says 67. (Really cold when you first jump in)

Not sure where the temp sensor is but will get it figured out and corrected, hopefully.  Will update if I do.

1 minute ago, G2boats said:

I have an ‘04 Wakesetter.  The temp gauge worked well until the end of last season. Now it reads 110 when a thermometer says 67. (Really cold when you first jump in)

Not sure where the temp sensor is but will get it figured out and corrected, hopefully.  Will update if I do.

This sounds like a connection problem somewhere.  A reasonable assumption is that it is time to clean every connection you can find under the dash.  You may find something loose, and everything likes a little attention now and again.

• 1 year later...

Thanks justgary.  It turns our on my boat the speedo and thermometer are the same unit, I replaced them both because both were not working properly.