Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

01 Response LX, Monsoon 325Hp

Last fall I drained the engine as I was afraid of cold weather coming and part of that process was to remove the knock sensor from the side of the block. Next weekend I put the boat in the water and noticed that the temperature guage was not reading so checked around the engine and noticed the knock sensor wire not connected so connected it and the temp guage worked. At the end of the weekend drained the block again but next weekend when I put it in the water the temperature guage was not working but everything was hooked up, so took it for a run and 10 minutes later guage starts to work.

This spring after putting the boat in the water the temperature gauge does not work and I have checked for broken wires and have made sure the Knock sensor is grounding to the block and any other obvious issues but cannot get the gauge to read. Any suggestions of where to start would be appreciated.

Try wiggling the 'Cannon' plug on the rear starboard side of the engine. It's a big bundle of wires from the engine going to the dash.

Many others have unhooked & cleaned out the inside, but for me, just wiggling it a bit seemed to do the trick.

If you do disconnect it, be sure to mark it first because it is not keyed & can go back on multiple ways.

Try wiggling the 'Cannon' plug on the rear starboard side of the engine. It's a big bundle of wires from the engine going to the dash.

Many others have unhooked & cleaned out the inside, but for me, just wiggling it a bit seemed to do the trick.

If you do disconnect it, be sure to mark it first because it is not keyed & can go back on multiple ways.

Thanks for your quick response to the post. I will give that a try when I get back up to the boat this weekend. It seemed wierd that the knock sensor would be involved with the tempperature circuit at all. It will be nice if it is something that simple, as we hope to have a full week of skiing starting this weekend.

On your Monsoon, the knock sensor is not involved with the temperature guage on your dash, or monitoring temperature at all.

Your Monsoon has two temperature sensors. One feeds signal to the ECM, for phased warm-up and overheat protection, the other sensor feeds your dash guage.

Both of these sensors are located at the front, top of your engine, near the thermostat housing. I am pretty sure that the sensor you are interested in, the one that feeds the dashboard guage, is the one with a single brown wire going to it. I am not sure the wires for either temp sensor are routinely removed for winterization.

The information from the sensor to the dash guage does go through the Canon Plug. But I would first rule aout a problem with the temp sensor itself, or the connection to it, first.

I have checked the connection at both temp sensors at the top front of the engine. The starboard sensor wire is connected with a nut and the port side is just a push on connector. I have had them both off and checked for corrosion and grounded the wire to see if there is any gauge movement and nothing changes. The picture I have of the front of my engine does not show the color of the wires but if I remember correctly the port side is a light brown and the starboard is a tan color.

When you go to key-on does the temp gauge needle in the multi-gauge initialize like the others?

I will have to check on that as I can not say for sure. If it does, what would that indicate? If it does not, what would that indicate. Sorry for all the questions but I am just trying to get all the info together that I can before I drive two hours up to the cabin and once i'm there I do not have access to Internet or any dealers for parts. So thanks for being patient.

When you go to key-on does the temp gauge needle in the multi-gauge initialize like the others?

My wife says that she noticed that the temp gauge did not initialize like the others.

My wife says that she noticed that the temp gauge did not initialize like the others.

My guess is the gauge itself is the problem, if you ground out the sender the gauge should peg - since yours isn't the problem is likely upstream of the sender.

-Chris