Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skier ballasts

Mullinsracing

Has anyone put an underfloor ballast system

In a skier? I have an 84 skier that I am going to do a stringer repair and a new floor this winter and am contemplating setting up an in/underfloor system.

Thanks for the help

I always thought the PureVert system in the Calabrias would be a great system to retrofit into a DD boat. You could do something similar to their early designs & use PVC tubes for the tanks. And RV sewer gates for the fill/empty valves. And the beauty would be that there were no pumps, wiring or switches to fail. I believe they got up to 700 lbs of ballast in them this way.

martinarcher

I'd be curious to see if you could fit enough ballast under the floor of that little boat to make it worth while. The Skier is a very low profile boat. Not sure what cubic volume there is under the floor. If you could squeeze 400lbs on each side of the engine under the floor that would be money! Rockon.gif

400 on each side is what I'm shooting for.

at about 8.35 lbs per gallon, you will need room for 48 gallons of water.

at about 7.48 gallons per cu ft, you will need 6.4 cu ft of ballast tank to get 400#.

A Fly High 400# sac is 42" x 16" x 16"

Is there that much room available under the floor of a Skier?

at about 8.35 lbs per gallon, you will need room for 48 gallons of water.

at about 7.48 gallons per cu ft, you will need 6.4 cu ft of ballast tank to get 400#.

A Fly High 400# sac is 42" x 16" x 16"

Is there that much room available under the floor of a Skier?

Man, I bet there is! I often though about putting ballast into the Gunwale space behind the pannels. PVC pipe is a great idea for a "tank"

So how many feet of 6" PVC would you need to get 400lbs of water :crazy:

Man, I bet there is! I often though about putting ballast into the Gunwale space behind the pannels. PVC pipe is a great idea for a "tank"

So how many feet of 6" PVC would you need to get 400lbs of water :crazy:

my math (not my best subject) says 6.55# of water per foot of 6" pipe so you would need 61 feet of pipe to get 400# of water.

Edited by Cervelo

All this would mean that you would need to run the pipe back and fourth in a serpentine fashion and all be one piece I assume.

I doubt you'll fill those pipes with just the RV sewer gates.

:rofl:

ok, so 1 gallon = 231 cu in; 1 foot of 6" pipe is 339 cu in.

1 foot of 6" pipe holds about 1.5 gallons of water so it will take 32 feet of 6 inch pipe to hold 400#............i think...........i hate math

Damn math.....

The tanks on the Calabrias are like 10" in diameter, and run all the way up to the dash. No clue if there is that much room under the floor of a skier or not.

But believe me, the RV sewer gates fill them in like a minute. And empty in maybe 2 minutes (depending on how fast your going).

ok, so 1 gallon = 231 cu in; 1 foot of 6" pipe is 339 cu in.

1 foot of 6" pipe holds about 1.5 gallons of water so it will take 32 feet of 6 inch pipe to hold 400#............i think...........i hate math

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... So 4, 8' sections would do it. That might be doable! :shocked:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... So 4, 8' sections would do it. That might be doable! :shocked:

Definitely staying posted to this thread. My boat is probably due for some stringers / floor this winter. Was planning on trying to upgrade, but had 6 people and ~375lbs of ballast in it the other day and I was decently impressed with the wake. 800 lbs hidden would be awesome.

Definitely staying posted to this thread. My boat is probably due for some stringers / floor this winter. Was planning on trying to upgrade, but had 6 people and ~375lbs of ballast in it the other day and I was decently impressed with the wake. 800 lbs hidden would be awesome.

Mike, you got any pics of your Euro? I always love seeing anothing Euro Skier... :rockon:

Mike, you got any pics of your Euro? I always love seeing anothing Euro Skier... :rockon:

I'll try to dig up some, I am having a hard time deciding on if I should replace the stringers / floor or not. The hull is in pretty poor condition, LOTS of dock rash and some patch spots underneath where it must have run aground.

I'll try to dig up some, I am having a hard time deciding on if I should replace the stringers / floor or not. The hull is in pretty poor condition, LOTS of dock rash and some patch spots underneath where it must have run aground.

If the gel is messed up on the white section its super easy to fix. Are the stringers rotten? There are some pretty sweet restoration jobs on this site, check out MartinArchers Sunsetter. Its a huge job ut you'll have a one of a kind boat when your done...

If you dont have a huge crew and don't want a payment these little boats will do just about everything you could imagine with some little modifications.

EDIT: If you do decide to bail on it I could use a parts boat... :crazy: LOL

Edited by Levi900RR