Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sure-Lube System

MALI-MONSTER

Anybody have and know how to use the Sure-Lube bearing greasing system? I recently bought a 1997 Echelon that came with a single axle Extreme trailer fitted with Sure-Lube bearing greasers. I have no manual for the trailer. The trailer is 14 years old and was only used to run the boat to the lakehouse launch in the spring and retieve it in the fall. The trailer only has about 50 miles on it and was not maintained at all. I'm sure the bearings were never accually greased.

I googled and searched this site and found that you don't have to re-pack the bearings, but simply put grease into the system throught the zerk fitting in the center of the hub till you see all of the old grease flow out and new grease start to come out. The mystery for me is where does the old grease come out. A web resource says that it takes approximately 5-7 oz of grease to completely change out each bearing. I have put 3 mini tubes of grease (~9 oz total) in one hub and still don't see old grease coming out from anywhere. Is it possible that the grease comes out into the axle tube and just stays in there (for ever)? I did find one diagram that would suggest that, but not being able to see the grease exchange is driving me nuts.

Help!

The grease should not go into the axle tubes... Bearings are on a solid spindle. Sounds like they are/were dried out?

The grease should not go into the axle tubes... Bearings are on a solid spindle. Sounds like they are/were dried out?

Oh I am sure they were dried out. So were does the old grease exit? In the front near the zerk fitting? In the back somewhere?

With that much grease you have definitely pushed it out the rear seals which is probably why you are not seeing it... The grease fitting should take 3-4 pumps on each side.... You need to have the bearings repacked or replaced and while doing that you will have to replace the rear seal. The grease is now going to be all over the Brake components and should be cleaned up as well. The bearing buddy system is not a great system and does not mean you never have to repack.. They do a great job of keeping the system pressurized which keeps the water out though.

You should not have hurt anything doing this as long as the bearings are still okay however I would highly recommend having them serviced... It is not complicated and definitly something you can do if you would like to save the $200... Even if you have to replace the bearings they are about $5 a piece so not a big deal.. Its when the bearing fails and ruins the spindle that things get more complicated.

Edited by pennery

To be clear, I have Reliable Sure-Lube hubs on my trailer not Bearing Buddy's. On a creeper I have inspected every square inch of the ground, hub, brakes, and axles and can find zero grease exiting the Sure Lube system. The pdf in the following link shows what system I think that I might have on page 7 (top right of page).

http://www.reliablepmw.com/downloads/running_gear_manual.pdf

Does anybody else have an Extreme trailer that expells grease into the axle spindle?

Am I just crazy?

I am assuming you have Drum Brakes on your trailer... The grease will remain inside the Drum and to see it coming out of there you would have to pump alot more grease into it... You will see what I mean when you take it off... I looked at the diagram you pointed out and it shows the sure lube system however it is on a hub without brakes. I have never seen a system like that where it pushes the old grease out the axle.. Can you confirm your brake configuration?

I am assuming you have Drum Brakes on your trailer... The grease will remain inside the Drum and to see it coming out of there you would have to pump alot more grease into it... You will see what I mean when you take it off... I looked at the diagram you pointed out and it shows the sure lube system however it is on a hub without brakes. I have never seen a system like that where it pushes the old grease out the axle.. Can you confirm your brake configuration?

Yes Sir. Drum brakes. I'll pop off the wheels and drums tomorrow morning and look for my "missing" grease. This boat ownership thing is quite the learning experience (and I've only had her is the water for about 20 mins so far). Thanks for your help thus far!

martinarcher

Yes Sir. Drum brakes. I'll pop off the wheels and drums tomorrow morning and look for my "missing" grease. This boat ownership thing is quite the learning experience (and I've only had her is the water for about 20 mins so far). Thanks for your help thus far!

You are so right, but you've found a great place to get help and answers about your boat! Yahoo.gif

I would def. recc. tearing down those hubs and inspecting the bearings at a min. if not, replace bearings and seals all together. Esp. if ur gonna be towing long dis.

I think you need to replace the bearings. That grease IS going somewhere and you will probably find a mess when you pull the drums off.

I have a similar system on my Eagle Trailer and ended up replacing the bearings.

You are in a good place to learn about these boats. I have learned a lot from these guys.

I pulled off the wheels and drums and there is NO grease to be found. Everything in there looks good. I am going to pull off the Sure Lube caps and look at the bearings next I called Reliable the maker of Sure Lube which is what I have and they confirmed that the old grease in their design goes into the enclosed axle tube. I also found the same diagram from the link that I referenced on a sticker on my trailer (ya, who would have thought to look there).

Does anybody have the Sure Lube greasing system (not Bearing Buddy or similar) or there trailer? I can't be the only one on here with that make/model greasing system. If you do and can confirm what Reliable told me on the phone and what I seem to be observing, please do so. Even after talking to the Reliable engineer on the phone and observing, I still feel uneasy because so many of you smart fellers are telling me that I am wrong and need to replace the seals and bearings.

Thanks again to every body for all of their input and shared experience!

If you have talked to Sure Lube and they tell you this is all normal then I would not be very concerned. Although, if you have it all apart it would be a great time to check all the bearing and selas anyways.

I have several trailers and have never seen a system that expels grease into the actual axle tube... But hey keep greasing until it starts coming out of somewhere... I think even 3 of those mini tubes is alot of grease though... And i second what Trent recommended. Good time to repack while the drums are off... If the axle tube was bone dry which i assume it was after that many years and no grease then I can see how it can take that much if a portion of the tube fills up spanning the entire axle...