Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LSA Motor Question

GRGKng

Is it necessary to run 92 local pump octane on this motor? Would I be fine running 91(no ethanol, marine grade (whatever that means)) from a marina on my lake or would that hurt the motor potentially blow it?

Thanks.

Is it necessary to run 92 local pump octane on this motor? Would I be fine running 91(no ethanol, marine grade (whatever that means)) from a marina on my lake or would that hurt the motor potentially blow it?

Thanks.

I just picked up my boat and joined this forum today and I have the very same question. We only have 91 in California. No one ever told me about running premium ( after thinking about it premium make sense) or the need for 92. I would assume that the motor can be tuned to run at 91.

My dealer is supposed to find out for me tomorrow. I will also be talking to some of my gear head buddies to get their opinions.

Yeah, I think there is a sticker for 92 on the engine, but I'd assume premium is premium and marine grade would be better than pump grade since it doesnt have ethanol?

I just done think an engine would be specifically tuned for 92 or would have detrimental damage? I assume it would be 91 and up or "premium"

Yeah, I think there is a sticker for 92 on the engine, but I'd assume premium is premium and marine grade would be better than pump grade since it doesnt have ethanol?

I just done think an engine would be specifically tuned for 92 or would have detrimental damage? I assume it would be 91 and up or "premium"

Generally if it says 92 that would be the minimum octane rating. There’s no problem running a fuel with a higher rating. I’ll be sure an post an answer when I get one.

OK I just read the Indmar operators manual. I know RTFM...

It says 91 or higher for the LSA. It also says Ethanol is ok as long as it’s not more than 10%

jesus, thats good. good to know, thanks. What is RTFM? I hope the marina wasn't lying about the octane, they cannot legally do that correct? Also makes me wonder, why the 92octane sticker?

Thanks.

it will be fine. the ECM will modify the ignition timing if it senses any knock.

:plus1: The ECM will adjust the timimg on the motor for all condictions including octain of the gas or corn you get. The last thing any manufacture wants is for a bad tank of gas to damage the motor.

jesus, thats good. good to know, thanks. What is RTFM? I hope the marina wasn't lying about the octane, they cannot legally do that correct? Also makes me wonder, why the 92octane sticker?

Thanks.

:lol: Read The F---ing Manual :rtfm:

Edited by AndyP

:lol: Read The F---ing Manual :rtfm:

Believe it or not, the LSA is not addressed in the Malibu manuals. I got some stuff sent to me separately from Larry at Indmar but I think they're a little behind the curve on documentation.

Believe it or not, the LSA is not addressed in the Malibu manuals. I got some stuff sent to me separately from Larry at Indmar but I think they're a little behind the curve on documentation.

How is your motor running?

How is your motor running?

So far so good. It's in for 20 hr service now. Had one case where I was cruising at just over idle and got overheat warning but as soon as I sped up it cooled down and hasn't happened since. Think plastic bag or something might have covered intake or something. Also one or two unusual hiccups at idle that I asked shop to see if code was thrown but generally all good. Haven't had any other inboard so I don't have much to compare it to but it runs very strong and I've been happy with it so far.

So far so good. It's in for 20 hr service now. Had one case where I was cruising at just over idle and got overheat warning but as soon as I sped up it cooled down and hasn't happened since. Think plastic bag or something might have covered intake or something. Also one or two unusual hiccups at idle that I asked shop to see if code was thrown but generally all good. Haven't had any other inboard so I don't have much to compare it to but it runs very strong and I've been happy with it so far.

Where in Charlotte are you. What lake

Hi, I have the same overheat alarm in the first 10 minute and never seen again. I call my dealer and I said run de heater at max the engine will cool down. That work but Im not shure that the problem. When my engine is cool the temp go to 210 F. and go down to 168 f. in 2 sec..

Tell me if is the same for you. It's in for 10 hr service now.

I love this new boat, it's very more fun to drive whit this big engine and it's song great at the back when you make wakesurf.

My other boat was a seadoo wake230 whit 430hp and that news boat very more good.

It just happened the once to me after dinner on night and I'd been cruising at just over idle speed. As soon as I sped up it seemed to come down. I did also put heater on full blast though not sure what effect that had or didn't have. Dealer still has boat from 20 hr service so I've not heard anything back but it hasn't happened since.

Boat has a 160 degree thermostat so either something blocked water intake or thermostat maybe got stuck temporarily. Boat should be fine at up to and around 200 degrees (per Indmar). If your temp fell that quickly seems like something might have been stuck. Mine came down gradually once I got moving.

Just as a heads up. I have a 2010 lsv with the LS3. I have had issues with boat overheating at idle or low speed. Malibu has come up with a fix by adding a 12 volt pump to the system. There are a few variables at work. Do you have a shower? Air gets trapped in the system and helped the engine overheat. I could rev the boat and it would go right down, but that shouldn't be. The thermostat is set low, alarm goes of at 170, but in a car application the thermostat is set at 210. Just got the boat back from the dealer and have not tested it out yet.

Jeff

Hi,

I just talk whit my dealer and I tell me to bypass the heater. I want to know if the problem is the engine or the heater.

If I was be more close to my dealer I will right away but im 5 hour from it. that wy I have to make some test whit im by phone.

I already have the little 12 volt pump on the heater hose. I will try to bypass the heater to check if it change something.

I have a question about the topic. Do you think it will be good to use octan boster because at my marina they have only 87 octane and all other on the lake to. They sale it higher than octane 91.

I and all my buds run Reg octane in our boats Bu's and CC Never a problem.

If you used a booster you would need to use so much its not worth it.