Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manual wedge stuck

We rode for the first time behind the bu over the weekend and discovered the wedge won't go down. I noticed it's not like my friends 06 vlx in that mine has a pipe under the swim deck with 2 pins you squeeze together " I assume" to drop it down. It won't budge. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Claudio

There are two "pipes" the one closest to the transom has the same pins on the back side. Squeeze them and push the wedge down.

Hope this helps

Load it up with WD-40. Let it sit for a day. If they still won't move, soak it again for another day. Repeat 'till it's free. Sometimes you have to push up on the wedge to eiminate a bind, that might allow the pins to squeeze together.

Also, you have two sets of pins, correct? Make sure you are grabbing the right ones to release it. Sorry if that seems obvious, but you never know!

:plus1: on pushing up on the wedge when pressing the correct set of pins together.

Load it up with WD-40. Let it sit for a day. If they still won't move, soak it again for another day. Repeat 'till it's free. Sometimes you have to push up on the wedge to eiminate a bind, that might allow the pins to squeeze together.

Also, you have two sets of pins, correct? Make sure you are grabbing the right ones to release it. Sorry if that seems obvious, but you never know!

also you might have to manipulate (pound/straighten) the bracket. I know on my (manual) wedge, which was hardly used before, it is very tough to deploy and lock up. The bracket squeezes too much at the top and rubs the arms. If the previously mentioned ideas don't work, yours might need a similar fix. Look to see if the bracket is rubbing (through the anadized black to reveal metal).

I had a homemade SS wedge on my previous boat-- it required very little effort but sometimes was still easier to push up on the wedge and then squeeze the pins like the others have mentioned.

There are two "pipes" the one closest to the transom has the same pins on the back side. Squeeze them and push the wedge down.

Hope this helps

:plus1: The pins closet to the transom when up hold the wedge up, pull up on the wedge while squeezing these. The aft pins (lower when down) hold the wedge down, . :cheers:

• 2 years later...

Has anyone taken the wedge off and ground down the sticking points? I have to jump in the water and put some serious effort into moving it up and down. Frankly, I'm tired of it and thinking about getting out the grinder today. Just feel bad about taking the grinder to anything on the 'Bu.