Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flat Tires - Tools and Being Prepared

I have a spare tire and a "tire changing tool bag" that I keep with the boat and had to use them this past weekend. I have had a slow leak in a tire, and while the boat was off the trailer I was able to see the culprit - a nail - so I changed and installed my spare. My tool bag had everything I needed and it was easy to change the tire with no boat on the trailer.

Also, on my way home I saw about 5 people off the side of the road changing tires - so I am going to add to my "tool kit".

What I have in my tire bag now (and I keep it easily acccessible) -

Bottle jack

16" breaker bar, 1/2" drive

Deep well socket to fit lug nuts

Standard socket to fir lug nuts

Small can of WD-40

I am going to add a thin "mat" of some sort that I can either roll-up and put under my truck rear seat, or maybe just lay flat under my bed liner pad. After seeing people on the side of the road, and knowing that luck would say the tire issue will appear on a bad stretch of road when it is 100F, I think something to protect my body and clothes from road grime, rocks, glass, etc. will be a good investment.

This is a good thread, flats never happen under good circumstances! A long sleeve white T-shirt or a set of cover-all's are good to keep in the truck for roadside repairs when its blistering hot and SHOES too! Standing out there in your flip flops on hot a** pavement is no good

I am going to add a thin "mat" of some sort that I can either roll-up and put under my truck rear seat, or maybe just lay flat under my bed liner pad. After seeing people on the side of the road, and knowing that luck would say the tire issue will appear on a bad stretch of road when it is 100F, I think something to protect my body and clothes from road grime, rocks, glass, etc. will be a good investment.

Just a thought, but I've always used the floor mat from the truck. We've got one of those one piece carpet mats for the back seats, works great.

I know this might seem obvious, but dont under estimate how effective a can of fix-a-flat can be...barring you dont have a 100% blowout. long story short, I keep my boat in storage, last 4th of July weekend I race out to the lake fri eve to get the boat out of storage and 1 of the 4 trailer tires is like 90% flat. I always keep one of the Xtra large cans of fix a flat in my truck. I emptied the can into the tire and that allowed me to get to the local gas station to put more air in it. I was able to not only finish out that weekend without having to mess with a tire change.....but It sealed whatever it was that punctured the tire in the first place (I think valve stem dry rot leak) and I didnt have to revisit the issue on that tire again, ran fine for the rest of the summer.

The key is to only empty the stuff into the tire right before you drive it so it spreads evenly inside the tire. if you empty a can into a tire then let it sit, it will dry into a lump into the bottom of the tire and you have an unbalanced train wreck on your hands and it destroys the tire. And, gotta use the Xtra large can...

I shoulda put this in the last post... I also have a tire plug kit from Walmart 5$ I keep in the truck and have used that for a quick nail or small hole repair. You dont even have to remove the tire or mess with jacks, provided you ID there is a problem and there is still some air left in the tire.

The kit has that T handle hole smoother/plug jammer thing and 5 of those gooey nasty plugs you dont want to touch.

Pull the trailer tire where you can get to the nail, yank the nail out with a pair of pliers. Smooth out the hole with the T handle thing and jam the plug in there. Snip off the excess with wire cutters. Takes 3-5 mins for a simple permanent nail repair.

When finished, pour water, or spray something soapy on the plug to check for bubbles to ensure its 100% sealed. just have pliers and wire cutters in addition to the kit.

Edited by nyryan2001

I don't carry the bottle jack I carry one of these My link.

It works great for tandem axle trailers.

-Dave

that is pretty cool. I think one of the trailers we saw on the side of the road had one - couldn't figure out what it was.

that is pretty cool. I think one of the trailers we saw on the side of the road had one - couldn't figure out what it was.

I haven't had to use it in an emergency situation but I did help a friend of mine out at the launch and it really works well, and is very simple.

-Dave

I have something similar bungee corded under my truck. I have it wrapped in a rubber welcome mat.

All you bottle jack guys, try jacking up your boat when the tire is completely flat and get back to me.

I have one of these jacks in the truck. Figured the flat tire could happen on any trailer I'm pulling & it will lift anything with an axle under it.

Also have a breaker bar & sockets too.

1840046QuickChangeTrailerJack.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

-Dave

Pretty cool...I've never seen one fo those before, but I will be ordering one soon. My dumb a$$ carries my big 3-ton floorjack in the back of my truck because I know i will be able to jack it up a lot quicker, but putting that thing in the back of a lifted Chevy is a chore in itself....and I'm worried someone will want it more than me while my boat and trailer are sitting in the lot all day while we're out on the water!

I have one of these jacks in the truck. Figured the flat tire could happen on any trailer I'm pulling & it will lift anything with an axle under it.

Also have a breaker bar & sockets too.

1840046QuickChangeTrailerJack.JPG

Do those work on torsion bar style trailers ?

-Dave

I have one those I crudely made out of a hunk of railroad tie. Bet yours doesn't smell like creosote though.

Edited by LS-One

Changing tires was a hard lesson for me to learn on the boat trailer....but luckily I got to do it in the driveway of our vacation home which was much more pleasant than the side of a highway. It turns out the lugs on my trailer wheels are a different size than the ones on the spare, all of which are different than my vehicle lugs. I ended up with one of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-1721

It comes with 4 different lug size sockets and is plenty long for breaking nuts loose when the Hulk tightened the nuts previously.

Also got one of these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-1.5-Ton-Scissor-Jack/14560046?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

I would have preferred something bigger to handle the boat and trailer, but if you are in a case where both tires on one side of a tandem axle trailer are shredded it will still fit under the axle and lift it all up without too much strain. Trust me on this one ;)

I have one those I crudely made out of a hunk of railroad tie. Bet yours doesn't smell like creosote though.

My neighbor saw mine and made one from one of my scrap 4x6's...

They make great wheel chocks too.

-Dave