Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Preparing Old Boat to Sell

Since I am new to the whole detailing and pampering scene, I am looking to experiment on our old 1991 Mastercraft 190 (just switched to Malibu Yahoo.gif ) that we are going to sell once it is presentable.

The trailer is very faded from its original red color, and that white stuff is wax I think. The interior has some mildew and mud on it, and the carpet is pretty dirty. The outside doesnt look to bad IMO, but there is line of grime from when our lift was broken and it had to sit in the water. I want to get rid of some scratches and make it really shine. The teak is also very faded.

I already have some Meguire's Color-X, and some Babes Boat Bright and Seat Soap. Is there anything else i need for the exterior? Could i use meguires for the trailor? What brand teak oil should I get? And last, what should I use to remove the mildew?

This is my first time detailing anything, so any tips or instruction on how to do things such as oiling the teak, and restoring the old color and shine to the outisde of the boat would be great!

Here are some Pic's

Trailor fade & attempted wax?

My Webpage

The teak:

My Webpage

The interior:

My Webpage

The outside:

My Webpage

My Webpage

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/Mou...at/DSCN1902.jpg

The New 'Bu: (hehe)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/Mou...at/DSCN1898.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That boat should puff right up. My $.02. I like Collinites #920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner for the hull and deck followed by Collintes Fleet Wax. I'd use the old formula Turtle Wax paste on the trailer. Fantastic and 303 on the vinyl. Vacuum and Nappa auto carpet cleaner on the carpet. If you have access to a real carpet cleaner, they work wonders. Good luck.

That boat looks like it should clean right up. Use the Starbright 3 stage teak cleaning kit on that platform. It will look good as new. When your done make sure you put it in th marketplace at www.tmcowners.com Lots of people looking for that vintage MC. Arguably one of the best skiing boats ever.

Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic ® should help with the gel coat stains. Looks like a lot of elbow grease should clean her up pretty good.

Nice new Bu!

Is that a Blaster hanging out behind the new Bu?

That boat looks like it should clean right up.  Use the Starbright 3 stage teak cleaning kit on that platform.  It will look good as new.  When your done make sure you put it in th marketplace at www.tmcowners.com Lots of people looking for that vintage MC.  Arguably one of the best skiing boats ever.

Wow, thanks for the heads up!

Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic ® should help with the gel coat stains.  Looks like a lot of elbow grease should clean her up pretty good.

Nice new Bu!

Do you mean a binding blaster? No, we don't have one, I looked hard at the picture but cant see what might look like one, we just use a bottle of shampoo :)

For the amount of time you are going to spend on it and as much as you will spend on cleaners, maybe call your local dealer/boat shop and ask them how much to take care of it for you. I had the local CC dealer clean my Cobalt and Malibu prior to sale and I'm sure I made the money I spent cleaning it several times over. I think I paid between $10-$15 per foot on each.

There have been a couple other threads about selling and I remember 1 item that everyone agreed on which is to make sure that everything at your house is clean and tidy. If the boat looks great, but your truck and garage are a mess, they won't buy it when they see the boat near perfect.

For the amount of time you are going to spend on it and as much as you will spend on cleaners, maybe call your local dealer/boat shop and ask them how much to take care of it for you. I had the local CC dealer clean my Cobalt and Malibu prior to sale and I'm sure I made the money I spent cleaning it several times over. I think I paid between $10-$15 per foot on each.

There have been a couple other threads about selling and I remember 1 item that everyone agreed on which is to make sure that everything at your house is clean and tidy. If the boat looks great, but your truck and garage are a mess, they won't buy it when they see the boat near perfect.

I considered taking the boat somewhere to get it cleaned, but I want to do it myself so when I oil the teak and work on the outside, I know what I'm doing and dont screw anything up.

Thanks for the tip about having a clean presentation, that will take some work around here after the Ice storm...

Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic ® should help with the gel coat stains.  Looks like a lot of elbow grease should clean her up pretty good.

Nice new Bu!

Do you mean a binding blaster? No, we don't have one, I looked hard at the picture but cant see what might look like one, we just use a bottle of shampoo :)

Sorry two separate thoughts. 1, Tony's TTT is a miracle mixture of 50/50 lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen proxide. Mix only what you need then spray on and watch stains dissapear. 2, Blaster as in Yamaha Wave Blaster... I saw what looked like yellow handlebars from the old wave blaster in the picture of the Bu. Just curious if it was one by chance.

Nice new Bu!

Sorry two separate thoughts. 1, Tony's TTT is a miracle mixture of 50/50 lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen proxide. Mix only what you need then spray on and watch stains dissapear. 2, Blaster as in Yamaha Wave Blaster... I saw what looked like yellow handlebars from the old wave blaster in the picture of the Bu. Just curious if it was one by chance.

Ooo so you mean a Wave Blaster, no thats my old 75cc trail bike. It's for sale if anyone wants it Biggrin.gif (Made a deal with my mom that i would pay for half of the boat)

Thanks for TTT tip!