Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Easy way to remove my mufflers?

I have a '98 Sunsetter LX with the 325 Monsoon. i need to change my fuel lines, which shouldn't be too tough except for there are two screws I need to get at to remove and re-install the lines that are directly behind the port muffler. I know those exhaust hoses are not big on flexibility and am looking for the "easy" way to get them out in such a manner that I can get them back in again without any leaks. Got ideas??

Edited by Baddog

I recently removed my mufflers and exhaust hoses. They had been installed and operated for 10 years. I couldn't get the hose off as it had stiffened with age, so i had to cut it off. I wish I had better news for you.Whistling.gif

I recently removed my mufflers and exhaust hoses. They had been installed and operated for 10 years. I couldn't get the hose off as it had stiffened with age, so i had to cut it off. I wish I had better news for you.Whistling.gif

Are new hoses a lot more flexible than the old ones? I would guess the new ones would still be a PITA to put in even though they were new.

I went through several attempts at trial and error to get them off of my 96 SSLX with the 320 monsoon. Hoses appear to be original. What ended up working great on mine is the following: remove the engine hatch and rear lift panel so that you have an unrestricted access to the drivetrain and exhaust all the way back. Loosen the hose clamps and slide them up the hose to ensure that they aren't binding. Then, just lift up on the muffler at the forward end of the muffler where it meets the hose. Lift fairly hard as if you are trying to just pull the front of the muffler up and out of the boat. Sounds crazy but worked perfectly for me. It does require some force used with discretion, so just be careful not to break the flange of the muffler. Reinstall by just reversing what you did.

Good luck!

Edited by ecadwell