Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Things I should have gotten on my boat

TonyCarroll

We are just putting together the items we want on our new 06 VLX. I have ridden behind many boats and we have owned a few so we have a pretty good Idea of what we want but since I just worked a deal to Ride For ETCO marine and Malibu I was wondering if there were any special things I should or should not get on the new boat. Please realize I ride all year long so We enjoy the Shower and My dad Likes the Driver side heater. Does the Cruise Control work well? Motor Size? any help would be great Thanks

Welcome to the site!!!

Sounds like you've got some experience behind boats, but just in case, this is our attempt at a comprehensive list.

Read this: New Boat Owner List(s) / Checklists

If I were you:

1. Hammerhead

2. PowerWedge - for surfing

3. Titan Tower :)

4. Do the stereo yourself - don't order anything from the factory

5. Carpet Insert - if you have kids, or clumsy friends, this is a must

6. Heater and shower like you said

Good luck!

Edited by chathamsolutions
We are just putting together the items we want on our new 06 VLX.  I have ridden behind many boats and we have owned a few so we have a pretty good Idea of what we want but since I just worked a deal to Ride For ETCO marine and Malibu I was wondering if there were any special things I should or should not get on the new boat.  Please realize I ride all year long so We enjoy the Shower and My dad Likes the Driver side heater.  Does the Cruise Control work well?  Motor Size? any help would be great Thanks

PP is a must. :)

Is there really a need to get Perfect Pass or does Malibus Cruise Control work well.

No, the stock system works fine. The only real need for PP now (at least on the wakeboard boats) is if you want to take advantage of the ability to store individual settings. Other than that, it's a WOM.

I'll ditto what Chatham said, with the possible exception of the tower. Both the Titan & Illusion X are great towers, very strong & rigid. That's really personal preference IMO so get what you like & be happy with it. Stay away from the Blade though. For board racks, I've been completely sold on the Titan products with the lift offs (Titan is coming out with racks to fit the Illusion X). I retrofitted some Titan racks with lift offs for my Illusion X & I won't go back - the quality is excellent & the lift off makes it so that you can put the rack in the boat when trailering to protect it. The Hammerhead & Powerwedge are musts on this boat, as well as all of the ballast that is available (I think that the bow ballast is still optional). You need as much up front as you can get, being that this boat has a lot of bowrise that you need to fight. Get the heater, the shower & the heated seat, they all work great. On the trailer, make sure to get the swing away tongue (you don't say where you're located, but if you're out west make sure you get an Extreme Trailer). The retractable tie downs are also a must & the undercarriage spare mount is nice & out of the way (although not a must IMO). I definitely agree on the stereo - even if you take it to a shop & spend the same kind of money, you'll get better equipment & probably a better install. If you trailer your boat any kind of distance at all, consider a Rankin Cover to protect your investment.

This will probably start the same old argument that's been on here 100 times, but I would disagree that the Hammerhead is a "must" on a VLX.

I've owned a VLX for nearly a year with the Monsoon, and not once have I needed more power.

If you have $4500 to blow, go for it as it's an awesome motor, but it's anything but a "must" IMO, unless you plan on > stock ballast and 10 people in the boat at the same time.

It definitely is a matter of personal preference. The VLX that I drove with the Monsoon felt weak, even weaker than my supposedly anemic '04 Hammerhead & that VLX was equipped with the smaller, torquier prop (I can't even imagine how gutless it would have been with the bigger 381). I like speed & power, & the Monsoon just wasn't up to snuff, not even close. The HH is, at least for me. The flip side to the $4500 argument is that it's a $60k+ boat, that's one area that you don't want to skimp on. YMMV of course.

If you don't want to spend the money on the HH, then don't drive one, end of story.

Edited by WakeGirl
Is there really a need to get Perfect Pass or does Malibus Cruise Control work well.

No, the stock system works fine. The only real need for PP now (at least on the wakeboard boats) is if you want to take advantage of the ability to store individual settings. Other than that, it's a WOM.

I'll ditto what Chatham said, with the possible exception of the tower. Both the Titan & Illusion X are great towers, very strong & rigid. That's really personal preference IMO so get what you like & be happy with it. Stay away from the Blade though. For board racks, I've been completely sold on the Titan products with the lift offs (Titan is coming out with racks to fit the Illusion X). I retrofitted some Titan racks with lift offs for my Illusion X & I won't go back - the quality is excellent & the lift off makes it so that you can put the rack in the boat when trailering to protect it. The Hammerhead & Powerwedge are musts on this boat, as well as all of the ballast that is available (I think that the bow ballast is still optional). You need as much up front as you can get, being that this boat has a lot of bowrise that you need to fight. Get the heater, the shower & the heated seat, they all work great. On the trailer, make sure to get the swing away tongue (you don't say where you're located, but if you're out west make sure you get an Extreme Trailer). The retractable tie downs are also a must & the undercarriage spare mount is nice & out of the way (although not a must IMO). I definitely agree on the stereo - even if you take it to a shop & spend the same kind of money, you'll get better equipment & probably a better install. If you trailer your boat any kind of distance at all, consider a Rankin Cover to protect your investment.

I was wondering whats wrong with the blade tower? Seems kind of practical to have your speaker inside of your tower.

I've driven the 8.1, HH, monsoon, and we used to have a 454. IMHO, it doesn't make a bit of difference because you never need all that power unless you have 3000#'s of ballast, pulling an open barefooter, or you don't know how to drive. If you want a 21.5 foot fountain, then sure, get the hammerhead. Other than that, I see no point...however, elevation can play a big part of the equation.

If it's not being used as a wake or ski boat, more power is fun. But realistically, if you don't have more than 3K in the boat, the Monsoon is either fine, or you're yanking your rider or skier around way too much. There's nothing more annoying than a driver who thinks he's got a barefooter back there, thus preventing any lip, wake, and stern roller tricks.

Bottom line: if you have 3k in there, HH would be nice. If you have less than that, the monsoon is great for everything but racing a baja.

I was wondering whats wrong with the blade tower? Seems kind of practical to have your speaker inside of your tower.

I've heard varying things about the lack of strength & rigidity of that tower, among the sources was the factory itself.

I agree with Boomer on the HH v. Monsoon. There wasn't one time this season that I was unhappy with the performance of the Monsoon. If ordering again right now, I would spend the money on something else and stay with the Monsoon.

I do need to preface this with stating that I haven't driven a Bu with the HH and for monetary reasons I don't plan too!

I agree with Boomer on the HH v. Monsoon. There wasn't one time this season that I was unhappy with the performance of the Monsoon. If ordering again right now, I would spend the money on something else and stay with the Monsoon.

I do need to preface this with stating that I haven't driven a Bu with the HH and for monetary reasons I don't plan too!

Wise Choice :)

Wakegirl and Chatham seemed to nail it.

Order the Illusion and then get your speakers from Bullet and racks from Titan.

Awwwww... :Doh:

who am I kidding - there is no substitute for power! I'd give my right arm for more HP! Much less my next paycheck.

I hate feeling my boat have to work out of the hole with a boat load of peeps, and ballast. It is like having to make your truck downshift going up the hill. I'd much prefer to just press down my big toe a little harder, and just blow past everyone... w/o breakin a sweat ..

yee haaawwww Thumbup.gifChevy_anim.gif

Can I deviate and ask where you got removable Titan board racks for the Illusion X tower. I love the tower and would like removable racks...

Sorry to deviate from the topic.

By the way, I love my Monsoon as well, but more power is always better if money isn't a big concern. When I bought my boat, I had a priority list and that wasn't at the top.

Good Luck,

Joe

Titan is coming out with products that will fit to the Illusion X so check with your dealer for availability on that (they may be out now). We were anxious to get it done, so we did some work on a couple of Cruiser racks with lift offs to make them work with the Illusion. Looks & functions excellent.

EDIT: Here's the thread that talks about the mod, near the end on page 2.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....l=Battle*&st=20

Edited by WakeGirl
Titan is coming out with products that will fit to the Illusion X so check with your dealer for availability on that (they may be out now). We were anxious to get it done, so we did some work on a couple of Cruiser racks with lift offs to make them work with the Illusion.  Looks & functions excellent.

EDIT:  Here's the thread that talks about the mod, near the end on page 2.

On Oct 12, I got an email from Titan saying they were 2 weeks in shipping there first batch. Might want to check your local dealership or Wakeside and see if they got them yet.

Titan is coming out with products that will fit to the Illusion X so check with your dealer for availability on that (they may be out now).  We were anxious to get it done, so we did some work on a couple of Cruiser racks with lift offs to make them work with the Illusion.  Looks & functions excellent.

EDIT:  Here's the thread that talks about the mod, near the end on page 2.

...Yeah, don't hold 'yer breath waiting for Titan to update their site with new and exciting products for '04----I mean '06.

Disclaimer: Titan makes EXCELLENT products, they are a little slow on the site updates......

Signed,

Frustrated Titan fan....

Biggrin.gif

Tony,

I have plenty of power with the monsoon, but some things I would have done different:

1.skip the docking lights, they look cool but not really that bright.

2. get the bow tank, don't try to save money there!

3. carpet insert, don't wait for your first oil change Cry.gif

4. seat heater is sweet.

5. do the stereo yourself.

6. no PP, the cruise control works better IMO, what a difference.

7. pop up bow light is great if you have little kids jumping over you bow when you're anchored.

8. Illusion tower has the anchor light in it now.

9. stainless exhaust tips- accents that only Malibu can offer, turn downs are quieter. Adding them later can be twice the cost.

10. wedge plate with wedge if you like the wake.

We love all the heating equipment: shower, heater, and seat heater.

I haven't used the new standard cruise system, so I don't know if it will do this, but PPass was VERY adjustable in terms of the pull. I like a very "soft" wakeboard pull, PPass allowed that. The new standard system might not have the same kind of adjustability. Just a thought.

The disco ball and laser show options are a must have.

Go fiberglass platform but put new padding on it. No maintenance. Very comfy.

2 words: POWER WEDGE

Back to the topic! The one option I wish I added was the boat stop on the front of the trailer. When the boat is just about home on the trailer, it takes alot of throttle to move it those last few inches and I always drive the bow hook into the roller on the front of the trailer, sometimes even over it. Then I am in a real pickle, because I have to back my truck into the water to get the hook to float back over the roller.

like it has been mentioned alot of personal preference. we like to get out @ 7 pm and come in after dark my wife likes the docking lights for after dark loading. never found the monsoon under powered with 6-8 peeps in the boat. but if you can get the bigger motor, why not? so far the boat (05 vlx) has been..... very nice and feels very safe when on the water at all speeds and most conditions. i did not get the front ballast. i like to be able to walk up in the bow area. never had a bow rise issue, but i am 6' 1" tall. i can see easily over the bow. again personal stuff. enjoy.mike

Back to the topic!  The one option I wish I added was the boat stop on the front of the trailer.  When the boat is just about home on the trailer, it takes alot of throttle to move it those last few inches and I always drive the bow hook into the roller on the front of the trailer, sometimes even over it.  Then I am in a real pickle, because I have to back my truck into the water to get the hook to float back over the roller.

Don't back the truck so deep and use your winch, not throttle.