Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine alignment / motor mounts

Did a search and couldn't find any good info on how to check the engine alignment

Also how to check the motor mounts

I have a slight vibration at idle and under power

The prop is new

Did a search and couldn't find any good info on how to check the engine alignment

Also how to check the motor mounts

I have a slight vibration at idle and under power

The prop is new

You may want to check the flange bolts that connect the propshaft to the V drive. I had a vibration at idle and just above in drive. Two of the bolts were not as tight as they needed to be. Snugged up all four and cured the vibe.

Engine alignment can be checked by loosening the prop shaft coupling and checking the gap when one side or corner is tight with a feeler gauge. You will adjust if the gap is more than .003 - .005" larger on one side than the other (so bigger than that if one side is at no gap). You should do both axis, Up-down and side to side. The engine mounts have adjustable mounts to move the engine in the direction needed.

also check the damper plate - you dont want that thing to go bad. That was the source of vibration on my 2006 Vride.

You may want to check the flange bolts that connect the propshaft to the V drive. I had a vibration at idle and just above in drive. Two of the bolts were not as tight as they needed to be. Snugged up all four and cured the vibe.

well you where right all 4 bolts were loose

re torqued them and check engine alignment which was fine

also the port motor mount was loose

came to find the bottom nut had fell off on the mount into the boat

was not fun to find or replace

should be a ll good for the WOW :thumbup:

Thanks to all

:werule:

also check the damper plate - you dont want that thing to go bad. That was the source of vibration on my 2006 Vride.

How do you check the damper plate? What do you look for?

Maybe pull the starter & look in the hole? :unsure:

It's inside the trans bell housing. We had one go bad on us years ago on an old Prostar. But we didn't know what it was till we pulled the transmission out.

Maybe pull the starter & look in the hole? :unsure:

It's inside the trans bell housing. We had one go bad on us years ago on an old Prostar. But we didn't know what it was till we pulled the transmission out.

What am I looking for inside the hole? How will I know if it needs servicing? I have an 06 and can't remember if it's this year or later that they put the heavier duty damper plate on. I'd hate to have it grenade on me. :crazy:

Thanks to all

Glad to help :rockon:

mainly by noise

I called my dealer and they verified I have the new damper plate on my boat

Maybe at the end of the season I'll take mine apart to check for sure

Edited by my malibu

Thanks to all

Wow, glad you got that checked and fixed. I had a 2001 SSVLX that had the bolts loose and ended up breaking the drive shaft twice (didn't learn the first time).