Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Graphics Removal Time

I am finally going to get rid of those old school graphics on the '01 Wakesetter. Any suggestions on making the task easier. I tried pulling at one end and it seemed to come off ok, but I'm sure it won't all be that easy. I know a little heat and soapy water works good on cars, but not sure about bu's.

There was also a little color difference between the exposed paint and the area under the sticker. I'm thinking the majority of this should come off with a good wash, polish, and wax session. If not hopefully a little sun can work it in like the cusions!!!!!

When I had to remove the stickers off my jet ski I tried EVERYTHING! I tried the blow dryer, heat gun, heater, goo gone, sticker removal spray, etc, etc, etc...They had been on there for 7 years and they weren't coming off. I spent close to 40 hours removing the stickers with a razor blade and then scrubbing off the glue residue. It was the worst and most frustrating experiance. I have had great sucess removing some stickers with a hair dryer and heat gun, but those ones from my jet ski WOULD NOT come off.

The only thing that rivals my experiance with taking those stickers off was removing the purple tint off my friends jeep back in high school.

Really Really try to keep the razor blade away from the boat. Heater and plastic scraper "should" do the trick. When done, look into rubbing out where the stickers were. Also stay away from wax till after the new ones are on. Use something like a vineger/water solution to get any wax off. Other people may have some ideas on that.

I scraped my back end (of my boat that is) against a dock and it took the "U" off in Malibu quite nicely! Left no marks on the gelcoat either, and I didn't have to use WD-40, Goo Gone or nuthin'. It only cost me $100 to replace. Am I brilliant or what? Gave all the rednecks at the launch ramp pulling out their bass boats a free clinic on removing decals and maintaining composure at the same time... Cry.gif

I scraped my back end (of my boat that is) against a dock and it took the "U" off in Malibu quite nicely!  Left no marks on the gelcoat either, and I didn't have to use WD-40, Goo Gone or nuthin'.  It only cost me $100 to replace.  Am I brilliant or what?  Gave all the rednecks at the launch ramp pulling out their bass boats a free clinic on removing decals and maintaining composure at the same time... Cry.gif

Great idea!!!!! I'll add some reinforcing to that mailbox!!!!! Crazy.gif

i'd use a product like On/Off. it is made to clean scum line from hulls. it has some acid in it. i accidently hit one of my letters with it, and it fell right off!

as a yacht painter i remove stickers on a regular basis.a heater gun will work just fine but be careful you don,t want to over heat the gelcoat because that will leave a mark.$$$ to repair.

normally allot of glue will still be on the boat.That can be washed of with thinner or acetone.i can,t remember that the gelcoat ever faded because of the use of acetone or thinner in my cases the boats get painted anyway.However i removed the sponsor stickers from my 05 Bu when i sold it exactly the same way.

Just use a little acetone or thinner on a clean old t-shirt and work on a small area at a time,the glue will dissolve and wipe it off.

you could always test it somewhere a little out of sight