Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nu Bu Owner

NuBuGuy2011

Am brand new to the Bu Cru here as I just traded a 2000 Larson SEi 226 I/O for a spankin new Black/White 2011 Wakesetter 247 LSV - almost identical to initial release photos for this new model. Was NOT looking to get a new boat - or payment - but wife & 17yo son fell in love w/ it at Jan boat show & we got a great deal from our friend/local dealer.

In fact, I bought the Larson as a project boat 3 years ago and had worked on/restored most of her - & actually almost had where we wanted her - Roswell 52 SI tower, Liquid Audio Polk MM 650 speakers x6 + 4 on tower, new gel coat hull - white and debadged, new vinyl & snap-in carpet, + rated for 13pax - we always have LOTS of folks w/ us! And that was a big thing that sold us on the new WS 247 - she's rated for 17! LOL - like a giant hot tub/limo. Anyway, never say never I guess.

I was planning to finish her up this year w/ an altered/custom tower bimini, fat sacs, & swim platform to the Larson this year. LOL - ended up w/ all that + way more on the new Bu WS. Still adjusting to payments but luv the boat so far!

... and great tips here for new Bu owners & am still getting used to the rudder vs I/O steering - practice, practice, practice - wife hates that part so far! Anyway, still breaking in the new Bu WS - and spending lotsa time on these boards ...

So far ... items I've used on my previous boats:

Boat Wash - Babe's green stuff successfully for a while now

Interior - ditto, 303 w/o a doubt

Vinyl cleaning - Exsquisite

Wax - Collinite Fleet wax & Turtle Ice & Meguir NXT Nano wax

shamwows & microfiber rags/cloths

Looking to try based on forum comments:

Wax - Colinite Insulator wax maybe? a big fan of their fleet wax but too hard to remove!

Bimini/Cover - maybe 303 fabric guard but not so sure that the 303 protectorant doesn't do same thing

absorber synthetic drying chamois & original german shammy

... and my son just started working @ the dealer's shop & says they swear by Spray Nine cleaner for almost all cleaning duties.

Still stressing over what base wax to use tho - easy on easy off, long wet shine, etc ???

... and best care for trailer - plan on waxing today w/ NXT Nano - but how best to protect all the metal parts from future rusting???

Still searching forums & trying to cover all the bases - and start the new Bu off right!

Thanks for any & all advice all!

Edited by NuBuGuy2011

Congrats! :welcome:

This is a great community with loads of good information. There is a thread on here somewhere in the general discussion forums with some good advice on driving your new inboard. It has helped me a ton.

Send pictures!!!! Congrats on the new boat.

It is always interesting to read various owner's exterior treatment methods. There are too many good ways to do it, and it makes me frustrated hearing them all. I have tried a lot and think a terrific secret is to use Flitz. It puts on a terrific shine and after the boat has been Flitzed, wipedown is a piece of cake.

I have used many interior products and have settled on cleaning with Exquisite or Malco cleaner and follow up with 303.

I have tried a lot and think a terrific secret is to use Flitz. It puts on a terrific shine and after the boat has been Flitzed, wipedown is a piece of cake.

Thanks guys! Hey TallRed - which Flitz products do you use? and apply only to the metals or to the gel as well?

Edited by NuBuGuy2011

Welcome to the world of Malibu. You will find great helpful people here who love the water and their Bu's.

One of the wax products I've been most happy with whether it's cars, boats or whatever is Rejex. Yes, sounds strange if you've never tried it but the stuff goes on exceptionally easy, comes off even easier and provides a long lasting shine/protection. Can even use it on glass, plastic, metal or whatever and it doesn't generally leave same nasty white stuff that's impossible to get off. Quick google search will find it for you. I'd highly recommend you at least try it once. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

One of the wax products I've been most happy with whether it's cars, boats or whatever is Rejex. Yes, sounds strange if you've never tried it but the stuff goes on exceptionally easy, comes off even easier and provides a long lasting shine/protection. Can even use it on glass, plastic, metal or whatever and it doesn't generally leave same nasty white stuff that's impossible to get off. Quick google search will find it for you. I'd highly recommend you at least try it once. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

sounds great - do you use the polish (blue label) or the cream (checkered label)? and does it uv-protect the gelcoat as well?

a lot of good info here on detailing products and everybody has an opinion. I finally tried Collinite's after hearing people rave about it on here and it was simply amazing. The kind of wax that is fun to use because it looks so unbelieveable when you're done.

a lot of good info here on detailing products and everybody has an opinion. I finally tried Collinite's after hearing people rave about it on here and it was simply amazing. The kind of wax that is fun to use because it looks so unbelieveable when you're done.

You are so right about the Collinite's.

Thanks guys! Hey TallRed - which Flitz products do you use? and apply only to the metals or to the gel as well?

I use the polish. The container says 'metal, fiberglass and plastic' polish. It is the first one here

I have never used the collinite....I wonder if you guys are going to cost me another experimental wax fee :(:(

which Collinite?

Edited by TallRedRider

I use the polish. The container says 'metal, fiberglass and plastic' polish. It is the first one here

I have never used the collinite....I wonder if you guys are going to cost me another experimental wax fee :(:(

which Collinite?

Based on martinarcher's recommendations, this (#925)is what I used. I prepared the boat by cleaning it and using the #920 cleaner before the wax. The results were pretty good to say the least. The fee is nominal and the stuff works very well.

Congratulations on the purchase. I also went from Larson to Malibu, only on the junior scale. 17' to 21' iRide at the time.

I think the more interesting thing is that you sent your kid to work at the dealer! I hope you did that first, so you got the "employee discount" on the boat. :clap:

Welcome! We are looking forward to seeing the pic's of your new boat! It is amazing the progress that can be made once the CFO is driving the project!

sounds great - do you use the polish (blue label) or the cream (checkered label)? and does it uv-protect the gelcoat as well?

Not sure about the UV protection. Didn't see any reference to UV blocking on their website.

I use the stuff in the blue label but in looking at their website I'm not sure it's really different. Until now I had neere seen the checkered label before. If you look on their web site under order on line, they show both labels under same product listing.

While it says polish I don't think there's really any abrasive quality to it at all. It does help take off spots, sticky dirt like a normal cleaner wax would but it's not meant for that as much as protective coating I think.

NBG2011

Where you boating in Mid TN. I hit Priest, Center Hill, and Tims Ford Regularly. Welcome to the Crew. :clap:

Hey dalt1 - we're down in Estill Springs on Tims Ford. Drop us a line next time you're down our way! :thumbup:

Welcome! We are looking forward to seeing the pic's of your new boat! It is amazing the progress that can be made once the CFO is driving the project!

LOL - so true olddude - when the wife is happy we're all happy! :thumbup:

... she loves the new Bu but not too happy about the driving transition (she loves to drive!) from the I/O to the IB/rudder right now - but we're both getting the hang of it! ... only 5 hrs on the new Bu so far!

Hey dalt1 - we're down in Estill Springs on Tims Ford. Drop us a line next time you're down our way! :thumbup:

I rent a place up in Hasty Hollow every Labor Day weekend. Will try to give you a Yell then.