Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf Boards

Moufoo

I'm looking to get a wakesurf board over christmas, and I was wondering what you guys recomend. I have not surfed behind my boat yet, but i'm sure that the wake size wont be a problem. My skill is begginer, I have only wakesurfed once. Im not sure if my size has anything to do with board selection, but im 6'1" and weigh 135 (yeah, I know).

There are several good boards out there that you could look at. Best to demo if you can.

HL Landlock

LF Skimskate (one of my favorites)

I have a CWB Ride that I am getting rid of. I can't seem to keep the nose from diving under, unlike many of the others. I would avoid that one, IMO.

Now, here are my two new favorites.

Phase 5 Oogle and Prop.

Just had them a couple weeks, but LOVE them. The larger one is the Oogle, and I feel is a decent beginner board. I can't tell you how much I am liking these boards, even with the short time I have spent on them. I will be back on them in a few hours, and will eventually post a better review, in another thread.

Anyway, for beginners, a larger board will be more stable, but eventually you may want to try a shorter board so you can do some spins, etc. Then you would be looking at maybe a HL Broadcast, a LF Skimskate (shorter one, I believe 4'6"), or my favorite, the Phase 5 Prop. Man! What a fun board. I can't wait to get more time on it.

Best of luck.

We started off with a 5'6" Hyperlite Landlock and quickly found it better for cruising good board though. My son and I both have a TrickBoardz they are a lot of fun but, I would not consider them a true surf board. I have also surfed several other boards, 4'8" (I believe) Hyperlight Broadcast, very nice board but, to small for me, The new 5' or so flat nosed on both ends Liquid Force fun but, just did not like the feel and the shorter one once again to small for me. After trying all the boards I could get my feet on I ended up buying a Phase5 Oogle and do not have any regrets this is by far the best board I have riden. My son has riden krakdaddies Phase5 and says it is by far his favorite. You can not go wrong with a Phase5.

The Phase5 Oogle:

Dimensions: 58" x 20 3/4" x 3/4"

Core: Divinycell Core

Glass: E-Glass/3-D Weave

Rider Size: under 250 pounds

A couple of links from when I was looking for a new surfboard

Help me pick a surfboard

Phase5 Oogle review

Edited by RiverRunner

Alright, so from reading every wakesurfing post, and you guy's feedback, you started out with a broadcast or something related, and quickly got bord with it and stepped up to an oogle? I don't want to waste money on a board that I can't progress on, so I will probably go with the oogle, but the oogle looks like it is geared toward larger riders, and I dont weigh anything. Where is a good place to buy Phase 5's?

Edited by Moufoo
Alright, so from reading every wakesurfing post, and you guy's feedback, you started out with a broadcast or something related, and quickly got bord with it and stepped up to an oogle?  I don't want to waste money on a board that I can't progress on, so I will probably go with the oogle, but the oogle looks like it is geared toward larger riders, and I dont weigh anything.  Where is a good place to buy Phase 5's?

I would suggest buying direct from Phase 5. The board on River Runner's post (River Runners'?) was purchased direct and he got the custom graphics ("malibu" and the tribal tatoo) at no additional cost.

Alright, so from reading every wakesurfing post, and you guy's feedback, you started out with a broadcast or something related, and quickly got bord with it and stepped up to an oogle?  I don't want to waste money on a board that I can't progress on, so I will probably go with the oogle, but the oogle looks like it is geared toward larger riders, and I dont weigh anything.  Where is a good place to buy Phase 5's?

I would suggest buying direct from Phase 5. The board on River Runner's post (River Runners'?) was purchased direct and he got the custom graphics ("malibu" and the tribal tatoo) at no additional cost.

How do I buy directly from phase 5?

if you need a board for a smaller rider i would strongly suggest the icon (im about 160lbs and riders up to 180-190 have really enjoyed the ride w.out issues...larger ridders can ride it but it will not perform as well as the oogle for them)...the ride of a phase 5 icon would be best compared to stepping up from a broadcast...it is very fast and quick..you may want to put on a larger fin if you are a novice rider...its an awesome ride!!

tj-

Thanks for the advice, but when I went to the pro-shop the guy told me phase 5's were for advanced riders. I'm not a seasoned wakesurf pro like you guys, so i decided to with the much cheaper and easier to ride CWB TSuami. I skipped the Oogle because it was geared toward bigger riders, and it cost $400. Once i'm good, i think i will step up to a prop. I'm sure you guys have some horror stories about the CWB surfboards Biggrin.gif .

Thanks for the advice, but when I went to the pro-shop the guy told me phase 5's were for advanced riders. I'm not a seasoned wakesurf pro like you guys, so i decided to with the much cheaper and easier to ride CWB TSuami.  I skipped the Oogle because it was geared toward bigger riders, and it cost $400.  Once i'm good, i think i will step up to a prop. I'm sure you guys have some horror stories about the CWB surfboards Biggrin.gif .

you can find it online for $329 or so.

I think you'll find the learning curve gets you to a "Prop' board faster than you would think. I don't think you would be making a mistake getting the board you will end up with in the end now.

Edited by Greg_S

Remember the guy at the Pro Shop wants to sell you another board after you have found out this one may not be the board you like. Try to demo a board first and it may save you that wasted first learning board.

I totally agree with Ronnie, try and demo first. Shops will generally be very eager to have do this.

To throw more wood on the fire, I've got a Broadcast 4'8", and really enjoy it. The learning curve was steep. I'm 6' 190lb, and have a background in the sport. Once I picked it up though, it's been sweet.

I am really looking forward to trying an Oogle soon.

Edited by chathamsolutions

Well, Thats I was thinking, but my local pro shop recomeded the board I got (CWB Tsuami) b/c is good to learn on, and you can progress to 3's and shuvits. I was also looking for a more surf style approach, as opposed to a skim board style, if you know what I mean. (It also came with a learning DVD Biggrin.gif )