Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"V" wedge on a Response

robertiux

I've been offered a fixed position "V" wedge on a very affordable cost, does anybody know how it will perform in a Response LXi 2004 ?

by "V wedge", are you referring to the normal Malibu wedge that was the standard around the time your boat was built (trap door in platform allows you to manually engage or disengage it in a fixed position)? The big question is whether your boat already has the bracket attached to the stern of the boat.

I just took my wedge off...only because it only gets used about once per season....99% of time is skiing, so didn't want the extra weight back there. I'm not a wealth of knowledge w/ regards to wakeboarding, but would say that it makes your boat able to produce a decent wake that a recreational boarder would have some fun with....radically better than what you would get without it.

do you have the wedge already and are just going to put the "v" wedge plate on instead of the flat?

If you are getting the whole wedge and it has the "v" wedge plate instead of the flat wedge plate then, i would say go for it.

If you are just getting the wedge plate then, i would say go for it and see if you like the difference.

I think the flat wedge plate was for diamond hulls and the "v" for wake hulls but a replacement "flat" plate should not be expensive if you do not like the "v".

I think the wedge on a response is a great way to increase wake size without filling the boat with ballast.

Yes, I'm referring to the standard V Malibu wedge of those years, manually engaged in and out on two fixed positions. My boat has the bracket only on the transom. I know the apropriate one is the flat wedge for the diamond hull, that's why I'm trying to know if the V will cause any issue or if it will actually produce a bigger wake.

Thanks !

The v wedge, otherwise known as the "pro" wedge model is for non-diamond hulls, and will produce less downforce than the flat wedge. This wedge was designed strictly for the wakesetters, not for any of the direct drives with the diamond hulls.

Peter

The v wedge, otherwise known as the "pro" wedge model is for non-diamond hulls, and will produce less downforce than the flat wedge. This wedge was designed strictly for the wakesetters, not for any of the direct drives with the diamond hulls.

Peter

Peter is correct, he is a dealer and knows what he is talking about. I have always thought the "pro" was designed for the Vdrive boats because they already have more weight in the rear. The flat wedge, taking this from long term memory, was to produce about 900lbs of down force but dont remember the number for the V or pro wedge. I would wait for a flat. The wake any of them produces on the Response is not very big when compared to a wakeboard boat.

Edited by awilco

I had the same questions when looking for a wedge to add to my 98 Response. The flat wedge is the correct wedge. Spend the money get the right one.