Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The 1st "Real" Day Out

eubanks

After picking up the new ride last Saturday (9th), last week was brutle waiting until the weekend so we could get our new boat on the water. We took it out for an hour or so the day we picked it up but really didn't get to spend much time on it.

Our experience was very nice to say the least!

The first thing I was excited about was filling up. I know that friends' of mine always have problems with gas spilling out of their boats and can only pump gas at about half the speed that the pumps are capable of. I was pleasantly surprised to pump at full blast with no spewing of gas. Do the new boats already have some type of air/fuel separator? Either way, that made things much quicker! The price of filling up a 55 gallon tank was not very nice though! :Doh:

We finally got on the water and were so excited about the amount of room we had in this beast! We had 6 adults and 2 kids all sitting in the back and everyone had plenty of room to stretch out. It was awesome! That reminds me...we bought an extended bimini for our Illusion X (mainly for the kids) and that thing was not a joy to put on. You would figure it comes with some type of instruction, but that wasn't the case. We got it up there but it seems really flimsy, especially next to the regular bimini which is as tight as a drum. I'll have to take some pics and see if someone can figure this stupid thing out!

Next was the wake! I still hadn't ridden behind the new LSV, although I had ridden behind a 2005 VLX. I was excited to see that the wake was very, very nice! I rode one set without the wedge and just stock ballast, but the next set I really enjoyed the peak it added to the wake when deployed. The wake wasn't overly huge, but hey...it's all about technique anyway, right?! Biggrin.gif

One thing that was minor, but still a nuisance was the black that tracked into the boat from the fiberglass platform. I had heard of this before, but wasn't sure what to do to fix it. Suggestions? Every time you stand on the platform and then step into the boat, you would leave a big black footprint. Do I need to scrub it down with something or will I just have to wait for the "newness" to wear off?

All in all, the experience was wondering pleasing. The boat drove like a dream and the room for peeps and storage was amazing! I was lazy and didn't take any pictures, but I will definitely have to do that next time! 7.5 hours and counting...

-JKE

Congrats man! Once you figure the bimini out it's not that hard.

As for the black on the platform, I had the same issue in my '04 Supra SSV. What I ended up doing is cleaning the platform before every lake trip with Fantastic, to get the oxidized rubber off it.

Another reason I got Teak on my '05 VLX...

Congrats man! Once you figure the bimini out it's not that hard.

As for the black on the platform, I had the same issue in my '04 Supra SSV. What I ended up doing is cleaning the platform before every lake trip with Fantastic, to get the oxidized rubber off it.

Another reason I got Teak on my '05 VLX...

Thanks Boomer. The bimini was not a problem at all, but the EXTENDED bimini was a pain in the you know what. I'm just not positive where the collars attach to the existing bimini.

I'll have to try that Fantastic stuff and see if that helps. I guess you have to work no matter if you have teak OR fiberglass! :lol:

I have that same problem and was told that the material would be replaced under warranty. Wonder what the warranty repair would be if the new boats still are having this problem?

Glad you had a good day eubanks & congrats, the break-in is almost done. :)

I would really like to know what the difference is between the platforms that have the problem with the black coming off & the ones that don't. I've never had a problem with mine & I've seen plenty of people say the same, but I've also seen plenty of people that have the problem & there seems to be no common denominator.

Congratulations Eubanks! Sweet Ride.

Hey, by the way sorry for not getting back to you on those tower speakers. When I got a chance to respond the site was gone. Did you talk to David at Earmark about the Bullet speaker cans?

Congratulations Eubanks!  Sweet Ride. 

Hey, by the way sorry for not getting back to you on those tower speakers.  When I got a chance to respond the site was gone.  Did you talk to David at Earmark about the Bullet speaker cans?

No big deal but thanks. No, I never ended up talking with him. I got a lot of positive feedback about Auto Sound so I decided to go with them. We are holding off on the tower speakers for now anyway.

Tracy, is your platform under water when weighted? I wonder if some people have low platforms where the water washing over the top tends to clean the platform and feet.

I'm pretty sure the black coming off is just oxidized rubber. I noticed if I kept the platform out of the sun during the week, didn't have much of a problem.

Anyway, I'm really liking my old-school teak again. Bu's teak platforms are solid, so my dog's feat can't fall through, and I like it. My cover extends over it, so it seems like it lasts a long time before needing oil (losing color.)

Do you have the new rubber with all the Malibu logo's on it? My other 04 had the black problem, but the new one doesn't.

Do you have the new rubber with all the Malibu logo's on it? My other 04 had the black problem, but the new one doesn't.

Yeah, we have the new one with the Malibu logo but it still does it. What to do, what to do...

Hey eubanks

What lake are y'all on?

We keep the boat over at a dry storage at Lake Lavon. I ride all over depending on which friend's boat we go out on...Lewisville, Ray Hubbard, Princeton Lakes, etc.

I'm guessing you are on Lewisville? I thought I recognized your name from DWB.com.

I wasn't out this weekend, but I did hear abour a power turning red and white bu that had not been out before ROFL.gif

Good thing our 'bu is red, white, AND BLACK! Tongue.gif

Don't be mad just because you couldn't enjoy the greatness of Lavon this weekend! My wife and I were out on Sunday as well, and there were only two boats at the dam both of which were power turners!!! Mad.gif The water was so nice except for them.

We keep the boat over at a dry storage at Lake Lavon. I ride all over depending on which friend's boat we go out on...Lewisville, Ray Hubbard, Princeton Lakes, etc.

I'm guessing you are on Lewisville? I thought I recognized your name from DWB.com.

We are up at Ray Roberts. Bring that bad boy up and play with us.

We are up at Ray Roberts. Bring that bad boy up and play with us.

Do you know who Rob Nerpal is? I used to ride on his VLX at Ray Roberts all the time a couple of years ago. Maybe we can meet in the middle at Lewisville! Biggrin.gif

One thing that was minor, but still a nuisance was the black that tracked into the boat from the fiberglass platform.

We call it "The legend of the Blackfoot Skiers". No real cure except to change to a teak platform, or replace the black rubber. I thought Malibu had made changes to correct this problem from '04.

One thing that was minor, but still a nuisance was the black that tracked into the boat from the fiberglass platform.

We call it "The legend of the Blackfoot Skiers".  No real cure except to change to a teak platform, or replace the black rubber.  I thought Malibu had made changes to correct this problem from '04.

I don't have this problem unless the boat was stored outside.

A. clean the rubber when you get, just splash some water on.

B. even if the boat is covered, dust and dirt still makes it in, in addition your dusty white vinyl looks clean, unitl you get it wet. Then you walk across it and it looks dirty.

Personally, I have had the 04 old stye rubber and the 05 w/ logo and never had black marks from the rubber.

Tracy, is your platform under water when weighted? I wonder if some people have low platforms where the water washing over the top tends to clean the platform and feet.

I'm pretty sure the black coming off is just oxidized rubber. I noticed if I kept the platform out of the sun during the week, didn't have much of a problem.

Anyway, I'm really liking my old-school teak again. Bu's teak platforms are solid, so my dog's feat can't fall through, and I like it. My cover extends over it, so it seems like it lasts a long time before needing oil (losing color.)

Sorry, I just saw this today. Our boat is really a cross trainer, so sometimes the platform is under water & sometimes it's up off the water where it sits when we have no ballast loaded. I've never, under any conditions, seen black getting tracked in. I can remember this issue coming up on MBO frequently enough & there was never a common denominator - storing outside or on the water, water on or off the platform, etc. IIRC At the time we chalked it up to possibly a bad run by Malibu, there just was no other explanation. The fact that it's still happening is a little disturbing.