Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For those who think water ballast doesn't cause problems

Bill_AirJunky

The water ballast vs lead issue has come around a number of times. Questions about whether or not insurance would cover it in either case, how far does the boat sink, etc.

Well, it's about to be tested. Someone had a bad day & put some pics up here.

I think the bottom line is regardless of what ballast your using, you still have to be smart about it. Running all that weight on one side of the boat is putting a lot of stress on the shoebox. Sounds like it let loose in this case.

Ouch. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
martinarcher

That's the first pic I've seen of a wake boat upside down. Kinds hard to look at!

Like someone said in that thread....kinda hard to believe that 2k worth of ballast could roll the boat over. Must have been a perfect storm kind of chain of events that led to it. Too bad the whole story isn't there.

Hmm, Nautique's are traditionally shallow boats. I guess with 2k lbs, plus 6 or 8 people on one side of the boat, it could cause issues. However it happened, that sucks big time. I'm curious how insurance feels about the sac's being in there and whether or not that will change their viewpoint.

martinarcher

Hmm, Nautique's are traditionally shallow boats. I guess with 2k lbs, plus 6 or 8 people on one side of the boat, it could cause issues. However it happened, that sucks big time. I'm curious how insurance feels about the sac's being in there and whether or not that will change their viewpoint.

Good question. I know if it were my claim I wouldn't want that first pic out on the net. :Doh:

Yea, they already seem to be back pedaling a bit. It's the boat owner's buddy who posted the pics (thanks buddy). He's trying to say the ballast was not in the boat when it went down. Obviously thats not right or the boat wouldn't have turtled like it did. I imagine the ballast is right under the boat in the last pic. :unsure:

I have often wondered what happes when a sacked out surf boat takes a wave. :cry: Although the tread said it was at the dock. Why leave the bags in at the dock? :crazy:

As for Bill's orginal point. Yes all ballast can cause problems.

Their is way more to the story then being told. I have seen one guy :whistle: with full ballast,750 on the surf side and 8 people go surfing with out a problem.

I think the boat in question took on a nice roller.

post-235-062486600 1305915834_thumb.jpg

Guest J-Ro

Damn Fatty Patty, ever heard of P90x?

Don't let Malibudude see this. He will start talking about how you (Err, that guy) are going to break that swim platform putting that much weight on it.

martinarcher

Yea, they already seem to be back pedaling a bit. It's the boat owner's buddy who posted the pics (thanks buddy). He's trying to say the ballast was not in the boat when it went down. Obviously thats not right or the boat wouldn't have turtled like it did. I imagine the ballast is right under the boat in the last pic. :unsure:

Agreed....where the BS flag emoticon? LOL.gif

I would guess that if sacks and people weight put you over the capacity plate weight the insurance Company would deny the claim if they were aware of all the facts.

Hate to see anyone have serious boat issues. :( Boats are supposed to be fun.

I would guess that if sacks and people weight put you over the capacity plate weight the insurance Company would deny the claim if they were aware of all the facts.

So,

the other day I'm riding in a pretty small elevator. The plaque says "16 people" or 2800 lbs. I did the math and that's only 175# per person. Pretty unreasonable.

So,

the other day I'm riding in a pretty small elevator. The plaque says "16 people" or 2800 lbs. I did the math and that's only 175# per person. Pretty unreasonable.

10 people 1445# 144.5 per person?

• 3 weeks later...