Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim Platform Modification

kbtheboz

I haven't gotten use to the full teak swim platforms. I guess with the wedge dragging along, kicking up spray, Malibu had to get away from the slotted platforms of old. My latch broke on my access door once and the amount of spray that came through that little hole was surprising.

For a winter project I wanted to use a router and cut some recessed hand holds at the back of the platform. My wife has a hard time getting back in, after a hard set and the may I keep the teak oiled doesn't help. I've seen these on some older MC's. Does anyone have any experience doing this or have you had them on your boat and have some suggestions.

I think the new MCs have them as well.

Any ideas? This would be a good mod to do. My 3 year old-read me-would love to have something to use as a hand hold other than the stainless grab handle on the transom.

I think the real reason the slats (and handholds) are no longer on the steps is because of the lawsuits regarding CO poisoning from Teak-Surfing.

This mod is on my short list of projects this winter too...

There is two thicknesses of 3/4" teak along the edge of the platform. I think 3/4" deep hand holds would be perfect! But I also think there should be a way for the depressoins to drain. Maybe a 3/8" hole horizontally to drain to the edge of the platform. (not putting any holes through the platform that may catch spray.....

Pat

Don't expect the job to be easy. Have you ever worked with Teakwood? It is really really really hard wood. I had to put some new stainless screws into one side of my swim step. I had to pre-drill the holes with two different sized drill bits. You could definitely tell when the screw hit the end of the pilot hole. I thought I was going to strip the head of the screws just trying to snug them that last half turn.

I can't imagine trying to finish sand the inside of the hand holds. I would cut them clear through just so that I could thread the sand paper through and sand like I was buff shinning my boots..how much spray could be at the last 1-1/2 of the swim platform?

What about mounting SS grab handles (like the ones in the interior) on the swimstep? Get some that are like 16" or so, put one on each side and they'd act like a Transom Saver as well. Thumbup.gif Come to think of it.... Crazy.gif ....that's not a bad idea. I may have to look into that. Anyone see a downside to using SS handles?

and they'd act like a Transom Saver as well. Thumbup.gif Come to think of it.... Crazy.gif ....that's not a bad idea.  I may have to look into that.  Anyone see a downside to using SS handles?

I like it. Be sure to post/send me a pic. That might be just the thing to help my son hoist himself up.

Do you think you could secure the handles where they wouldn't get ripped off, undere normal use. That's a great idea, I've always liked how Supra's have the SS grab rail around their FG platforms.

Word of caution on routering slots all the way through. You now have created a potential finger breaker. If one of your riders gets their hands inside the "slot" just as a roller goes by it could snap a finger or two pretty fast as the boat moves one way and the rider moves the other.

You may want to consider just routering a groove in the upper surface of the platform.....where the teak planks join.... but don't router all the way through to the other side. Your riders can still get some added support by at least having somthing to get some extra support from, but they won't lose a finger. Also, you won't have to worry about spray coming through.

You could router a "finger relief" in the edge of one board, but leave the adjacent board with a more pronouced edge. Just enough for the fingertips to get a better hold.

Just a thought...

Do you think you could secure the handles where they wouldn't get ripped off, under normal use.  That's a great idea, I've always liked how Supra's have the SS grab rail around their FG platforms.

These are the two that I'm looking at -

18" single bolt SS Handle

20" 3 bolt flange SS Handle

I can't decide which one would be stronger. Any thoughts?

Thoughts? Yup.

3 bolt flange will be stronger and have something to help distribute the "sideways" pull of someone getting up on the platform. Looks like you can choose/buy your own length of hardware. But, it also looks like any mounting hardware will not be recessed--not a clean look.

Single bolt would seem to be not as strong. However, much cleaner install and would more closely match the look of the transom grabhandle (if you have one). Does the mounting bolt come "fixed" in the handle? Is it long enough to go through the platform in the place where you would mount it?

Points to Ponder.

3 bolt flange will be stronger and have something to help distribute the "sideways" pull of someone getting up on the platform. Looks like you can choose/buy your own length of hardware. But, it also looks like any mounting hardware will not be recessed--not a clean look.

Single bolt would seem to be not as strong. However, much cleaner install and would more closely match the look of the transom grabhandle (if you have one). Does the mounting bolt come "fixed" in the handle? Is it long enough to go through the platform in the place where you would mount it?

The concerns that I have with the 3 bolt flange are:

1) Hardware not recessed (not clean) as you pointed out.

2) Smaller diameter hardware, concerned about strength of hardware.

3) While the flange would help distribute the load over a larger area of teak I am concerned that it would require mounting the handle too far into the platform causing the handle to become a foot hazard.

The concerns I have with the single bolt mount:

1) Diameter and length of the bolt may be insufficient (I have requested bolt dimensions from Rex Marine). I could counter sink a washer & locknut on the underside if need be. Do you think a 1/4" stud would be sufficient?....I'm hoping it's 3/8".

2) The side load of someone pulling on the handle is on a smaller area. Would it gouge into the teak? I don't know, teak is pretty hard wood.

Dontknow.gif

Used a handle like the 18" one on the back of my old Supra, they didn't come with a transom handle back then. Never a problem becoming lose or cracking the fiberglass. I would say the mounting stud was 1/4 - 20 about 1 1/2" to 2" long. Where are you thinking of mounting it on the platform, on the top or through the side?

Too bad there's no pop-up handle like the pop up cleats. That would be real nice. Remember that metal does get hot and someone could burn thier feet or worse... tha back end.

I used a RotoZip to cut my teak to install my access door for my wedge. The teak cuts just fine with the high speed tool (i.e. RotoZip or Router). I would suggest to anybody that is going to cut anything in the platform to make a guide for the tool to follow. Use a straight edge, some aluminum, or a plastic pattern from a cutting board. This will assure that you get a clean line that needs very little sanding. If your groves do go all of the way through, make them wide enough to not get fingers/hands stuck. Wide, like in the old style platforms. The gap was ~1". We have never had an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
What about mounting SS grab handles (like the ones in the interior) on the swimstep? Get some that are like 16" or so, put one on each side and they'd act like a Transom Saver as well. Thumbup.gif Come to think of it.... Crazy.gif ....that's not a bad idea. I may have to look into that. Anyone see a downside to using SS handles?

Sounds like a great idea. Might look pretty cool too. I get onto the platform pretty easily.

Just like a sea lion at Seaworld......

Thanks guys!... it works as good as it looks. Tommy did the job early 2003, he only charge me 40$, not sure what he charges now, he also installed the transom saver and trap door... :)