Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Griot's Garage

HRemington

I love looking at the Griot's Garage catalog and I've been Christmas shopping for myself, really wanting to get some boat and car detailing accessories, starting with a random orbital buffer. Griot's has what I'm sure is a top notch Porter-Cable, and they make a good pitch for why you should pay $200 for it and their "customer for life" satisfaction guarantee. Their other detailing products look and sound good, but everything is rather pricey.

Anyone have any experience with GG and their products? Richard Griot is so anal about car care that he is bound to own a Malibu. He should be one of us.

IOW, should I just buy a cheap buffer for $39.99 at AutoZone, or pay up? I'd like to hear from some experienced detailers.

Lowes has the same random orbital buffer for 100.00 including pads and a sanding disc. I first tried the 39.00 buffer and it only lasted one month. Go with the Porter Cable, it seems very durable. I have liked mine.

Sorry, don't know anything about GG.

Edited by brazosvet
I love looking at the Griot's Garage catalog and I've been Christmas shopping for myself, really wanting to get some boat and car detailing accessories, starting with a random orbital buffer.  Griot's has what I'm sure is a top notch Porter-Cable, and they make a good pitch for why you should pay $200 for it and their "customer for life" satisfaction guarantee.  Their other detailing products look and sound good, but everything is rather pricey.

Anyone have any experience with GG and their products?  Richard Griot is so anal about car care that he is bound to own a Malibu.  He should be one of us.

IOW, should I just buy a cheap buffer for $39.99 at AutoZone, or pay up?  I'd like to hear from some experienced detailers.

It's funny I just finished looking through the latest catalog when I logged in and saw your post. Yeah, I think they are way over priced, but they do have some cool stuff.

I have that same Porter-Cable polisher and love it. I bought it through Meguires (I use mostly their products and got a good deal) and use it on all my vehicles and the boat as well. If you shop around you can find just the P.C. polisher with the random orbital head for around $125.

Mike

As a side note, I had to buy a backing pad from Griots that had the velcro setup to use with their pads. The pad that initially came with mine was designed for adhesive.

• 2 months later...

There was another detailing thread that pointed me in the direction of www.gurureports.org - I ordered the report on waxes, read it and ordered my P21S polish. What a fantastic product for both boat & car. I am a nutter when it comes to grooming and this stuff leaves all the highly advertised products (Meguiars/Mothers et al) in its dust for ease of use.

You don't need a buffer because it goes on and off so easily and leaves absolutely no chalky stuff behind.

The other must have product is a stunner from NZ - http://www.beewild.co.nz/car.htm

This stuff beads water off all black trim, does not leave a residue to attract dirt & dust and lasts and lasts.

Edited by andyb
There was another detailing thread that pointed me in the direction of www.gurureports.org - I ordered the report on waxes, read it and ordered my P21S polish. What a fantastic product for both boat & car. I am a nutter when it comes to grooming and this stuff leaves all the highly advertised products (Meguiars/Mothers et al) in its dust for ease of use.

Don't know if it's available in NZ, but our motorcycle dealers, even Harley guys, carry the S100 line of waxes/ cleaners. It's the identical product to P21S and half the price ;)

Great stuff for sure, especially the cleaner.

Edited by edwin

I use Griot's products frequently for my cars and boats. I like their products quite a bit, but they are expensive. I have a random orbital that is not a Porter-Cable and it has lasted 3 years so far. I have other Porter-Cable tools and they are very durable. I'd recommend Griott's.